Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Tamiya Tamtech Gear Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:10 PM
FeoTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Tamtech Gear Thread

Try some rear wild boar wheels on it. World of difference.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:31 PM
konashred

i have tamtech frog (the micro one) it has a castle creations sidewinder 5400kv brushless in it and is so fast that i was racing it and hit a wall which broke the right side suspension control arm but i am still running a plastic pinion which hasn't broke and bent stock shocks(soon to be upgraded to gpm mini-t oil shocks. the control arm that broke snapped at the mount so there is no way to fix but luckily my dad does presicion machining and is making me someout of aluminum but this cars is so powerful the tires were bald after 3 parking lot runs so next on my list are some foam tires for indoor carpet racing and some stock rear tires on all four corners for bashing
Old 06-01-2009, 08:56 PM
etopsflight

I've got a GB-01 Desert Gator. Upgraded the shocks with the 3 Racing options and fitted Wild Boar rims and tyres front and rear.

I am thinking of buying the Tamiya Sport Tuned Motor (TA40537) and was wondering if this is a good motor to get? If so what pinion size should I use?

If not, what other motors do you recommend - the Graupner 300 6V etc?

I am planning to run the stock ESC with 1600 mAh LiPo.

Cheers

Etops
Old 06-02-2009, 10:37 AM
it8ezbngrn

Graupner, Orion Baja, Trinity termination. baja is probably the fastest. need to gear down though. 14-16T for Sport tuned. Start with 16T. 18 is max I think.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:18 PM
BETTERRCBUILDER

tamiya rocks it out with the cool little tam tech line ! The hornet , fox, frog , champ , hot shot , are all very cool little rides that can get people young or old into a great hobby ! and take guys like me for a noon time ride down memory lane on my lunch break ..love to break out the hornet and the fox in "MINI" tam-tech style and drive em like we stole em ....NOW if they toss a brat or montster beetle into the shrinker machine i will me a happy little 43 year old . THANKS TAMIYA .....AND TO ALL THE GUYS HERE -SWEET WORK BOYZ !! NICE RIDEZ KILLER BLING! KEEP IT [>:]REAL AND REMEMBER STEADY HAND , AND JUST DRIVE THROUGH THE PACK .....
Old 09-15-2009, 09:35 PM
USTanker

Hi, I'm new to RC and have been into the Tank RC but picked up a Frog on ebay it didn't come with battery or charger the fine print mentioned that but the price was right, I can't seem to find a 7.2V to fit the connector you have to buy from Tamyia does anyone know who sells batterys and a charger for this type of connector or should the connector be swapped to fit standard Tamyia connector? Thanks for the help.
John
Old 10-05-2009, 10:43 PM

dude change your batt and speed control connectors to deans plug's.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:07 PM

Hey Konashred!! I have a cool news flash for everyone. Buy a set of tires made for the tamiya mini cooper!!! These tires are a direct fit !onto the mini fox !! Yeah baby... Also Gentlemen I have even more cool news. There is a competiter comming out this month !! which dares to challenge our tamiya tamtech gear. This competitor is comming from none other than Team Losi. It is called the mini desert buggy..... this vehicle is extremely scale looking , including having a full roll cage and driver figure... be warned... this desert buggy is a real threat.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:11 PM
The Mad Modder

I'd stick with the Tamtech. After my experience with the mini-t(which uses the same chassis as the buggy), I'll never get another losi.
Problems:
Every electronic piece died within 2 years.
The radio system was very twitchy.
The steering drag link rides on the threaded portion of two screws and the threads chew way at the link. This results in increasing amounts of slop over time.
The ball studs use very small internal hexes which strip easily.

After a LOT of upgrading, mine became pretty good. Knowing what I do now, though, I wouldn't buy one again.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:49 PM
cobra26

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

I'd stick with the Tamtech. After my experience with the mini-t(which uses the same chassis as the buggy), I'll never get another losi.
Problems:
Every electronic piece died within 2 years.
The radio system was very twitchy.
The steering drag link rides on the threaded portion of two screws and the threads chew way at the link. This results in increasing amounts of slop over time.
The ball studs use very small internal hexes which strip easily.

After a LOT of upgrading, mine became pretty good. Knowing what I do now, though, I wouldn't buy one again.
I second the above, but just wish my electrics had lasted anywhere near 2 years! I had a Losi XXX-T electric truck and one of their buggies a few years back, and NOTHING but electrical problems with both of them, and lousy support. I have not, and will not, buy another Losi product. IMHO, Tamiya TamTech gear is hard to beat. In fact, anything Tamiya (for sport and scale) is hard to beat.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:27 AM
petercollinscona

Does anybody know where exactly to put grease inside the differentials? If I put too much grease, is that a problem? How often do you have to grease these differentials (or even better would be toknow whenit's time to grease them up again)?

I'm asking this because the differential ofone of my Tamtechs simply "melted" after Iinstalled aSport Tuned engine and ran it for about 10 minutes. Unfortunately the manual that comes with the Tamtechs does not provide any information regarding this.

Second question reffers to adjusting the differential. From what Iknow, "standard" adjustment is to tighten the differential all the way to the end and back 1 and 1/4. Only thing is that by doing this, the differential on my other Tamtech that uses a brushless slips like mad and will only move forward if Itighten the differential all the way and leave it like that. Has anybody else experienced this before? I'm concerned that by running my differential this way, this will cause excessive wear and I risk melting this one too - help!
Old 11-25-2009, 08:18 AM
The Mad Modder

Sounds like you're talking about a ball diff. If so, I believe that you need special diff lube.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:53 AM
petercollinscona

Yes, I'm talking about the ball differentials. 

I'm using the lube provided by Tamiya, but need to know how often I should lube it and how much lube should be used.

I also have doubts regarding the ball differential adjustment as per my previous post.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Suprachrgd82

Lube it on initial assembly, and after 4-6 hours of runtime (assuming it is adjusted properly).

Tamiya AWG is a great lube for most ball-diff applications. Use a liberal amount. Enought to completely coat the diff balls, and fill the inside of the carrier gear. Cover ALL of the parts with grease. Don't be shy with the lube, messy is good inside the gearbox.

As for adjustment, you can tigeten up the point that the spring tenioning the diff is fully compressed. Anything beyond that will crush the diff.

A common method of adjustment is to hold the spur in place, and push the car on a high traction surface. If the diff slips, tighten more. Then an addition 1/8 to full turn will be appropriate depending on motor selection and running surface. On a TamTech (dirt), with a Sport-Tuned, 1/2 turn should bea adequate. For street use/high traction, 3/4 should be about right. (Keep in mind these are generalizations).

The slipper clutch can be adjusted in a similar fashion. This is the device that should slipping rather than the diff. It is what "saves" the gears from high stress and impacts. Do not allow the diff to slip much, as it will heat up and melt the carrier gear.

A properly tunes gearbox will easily take the abuse of a brushless on high traction surfaces.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:40 PM
petercollinscona

Thank you so much for the detailed info!  It's exaclty what I was looking for.

One last thing:  I also own a Tamtech Hotshot and my counter-bevel gear broke down.  Later I found out this happens frequently to the Tamtech Hotshot but I searched all over for a replacement part (Tamiya came out with an upgraded version) but so far have been unlucky finding one. 

Does anybody know where I could find this part?  The part number is: 40557.

Thanks!!

Old 02-25-2010, 07:28 PM
woodsrider

bumping this thread cuz I have a problem...

I have (2) Tamtech buggies. A Hornet w/Reedy 19T mini-mod motor, and a Buggy Champ w/Graupner Speed 300 (just installed) The problem is the slipper in the Buggy Champ won't stop slipping. It slips way too easily. You can hold the wheels and it will slip. It will slip off the line at half-throttle. I've tried tightening, and tightening, and tightening some more. I've tried removing the spring adjust and just used the locknut to tighten. I've tried swapping the hardware from one buggy to another - no difference. The Buggy Champ w/Graupner still slips no matter what I try. I'm thinking of glueing thing slipper surfaces, or roughing them up with sandpaper or something. This thing just seem something is wrong... or is this Graupner just THAT powerful? Any ideas out there?

**edit** - figured it out. I screwed up the new ball diff install... d'oh! All-good now
Old 02-26-2010, 12:21 AM
FeoTT

how is the Graupner Speed 300 in the tamtech? got any pics or even better vids?
Old 03-05-2010, 06:19 PM
woodsrider

It looks cool in there. Just waiting for the dang snow to melt to try it out!
Old 03-19-2010, 02:05 PM
woodsrider

Well, I tried it out. It's a really SMOOTH motor. Just using it with a 1500mah NiMH pack and it's performance is good. It's not a brushless diff/slipper melter, has plenty of scoot and you can really grab a handful of trigger without worrying about flipping over backwards, or sideways. I prefer to leave this body unscathed so I'm not trying to overpower anything here. 

Now, my hornet GB01 is another question... 8300kv, or 7000kv Dynamite FUZE in there? Any opinions?

(p.s. I'll shoot some pics/video of the buggy champ when ALL the mods are done )
Old 06-05-2010, 07:58 PM
petercollinscona

Hi,
I own a Frog GB01 and was wondering if anybody has ever hadissues with the steering servo. It's seems to be very fragile because I've had to replace 3 servos so far due to hitting a curb or wall (I was not goingvery fast though). On all 3 ocasions, the servo will stop obeying the remote control and the wheels will turn to one side and stay like that (frozen). Can anybody help me with this? Is there something Icould do to fix this? Is there an "upgraded" version of this servo which is more resistant?

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-06-2010, 04:38 AM
THE HP FREAK
My Feedback: (1)

HI!... Well I got a new addition to my TAMTECH family today. Got this one off E-BAY. The guy I bought it from bought a ton of upgrades for it. Got it for $165 with a tom of extras. This thing is like it just came out of the box. As soon as I got it home I tore into it. I tightened up the front/rear diffs, pulled the brushed Tamiya Sport Tuned motor out and replaced it with a 7800KV brushless motor. Put 45 weight oil in the after market aluminum shocks and stretched the springs a bit. Swapped out the Tamiya electronics for a EZ-RUN 25AMP ESC and Hobbyking micro receiver. It's only got a 16 tooth aluminum pinion gear on it currently. Waiting for my 18 tooth to get here still. Also running a Zippy 1800mAh Lipo. It hauls but pretty good. Probably around 30MPH. The 4x4 is so nice. It takes off hard without spinning out like my 4x2 Tamtech's do.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:17 PM
ohlott

I have a gt-01 and was wondering if anyone had any hop up parts for sale for it. Just found a brand new one RTR..have a few of the tamtech series frog wildboar love them. Looking to upgrade the gt-01.  Also what is a good brushless combo to put into the gt-01 and what size lipo will fit in the battery compartment...thanks
Old 02-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Krazy Chicken

how do these hold up to brushless? i hope they are as good as the bigger models from tamiya
Old 02-22-2011, 07:51 AM
THE HP FREAK
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Krazy Chicken

how do these hold up to brushless? i hope they are as good as the bigger models from tamiya
HI!... I have 3 TAMTECH's all converted to brushless. The plastic pinion won't last long so go with a steel or aluminum one. Also the diff drive cups will destroy them selves. Get the aluminum drive cups. My problem in all 3 is I can't keep the diff tight no matter what I try. I'm working on making a spool for it to solve the problem.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:38 PM
ohlott

Just wondering if you found out your problem with your servo? I have the same problem with mine.
ORIGINAL: petercollinscona

Hi,
I own a Frog GB01 and was wondering if anybody has ever hadissues with the steering servo. It's seems to be very fragile because I've had to replace 3 servos so far due to hitting a curb or wall (I was not goingvery fast though). On all 3 ocasions, the servo will stop obeying the remote control and the wheels will turn to one side and stay like that (frozen). Can anybody help me with this? Is there something Icould do to fix this? Is there an "upgraded" version of this servo which is more resistant?

Thanks for the help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.