Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

deans soldering question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 07:43 PM
blabit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deans soldering question

I orderd some deans ultra plugs and I am trying to install them, but the solder will not stick to the plug. I am a noob at this, what am I doing wrong?

thanks
Old 03-06-2007, 07:53 PM
minitman
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: deans soldering question

get the solder real hot. Heat the metal piece then touch the solder to the piece, not the soldering iron. Get a little puddle on the metal piece then pull the solder wire away then the soldering iron. Do the same to the wire then.....touch the wire to the metal piece then touch both pieces with the soldering iron then when the solder joins the two pieces remove the soldering iron and UNPLUG IT....alsmost lit my desk on fire with it once.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:14 PM
hands without shadows

Get a minimum 60 watt soldering iron, use flux, and tin your joints.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:39 PM
blabit

what do you mean use flux and tin my joints?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:42 PM
jonb73188

HEat the deans plug up with the iron, then touch the solder to the plug. then heat the wire up and touch that with some solder so both parts have solder on them. Then heat both parts up and they will come together. Take the iron off quick when they come together and let the joints cool.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:48 PM
gettnbetter

Apply a little solder flux (NOT ACID FLUX like is used for plumbing), heat up the deans terminal with the iron and it should start frying and bubbling, then when it's hot apply a little solder. If the plug is hot enough the solder will flow. Thats tinning the joint.

You can get rosin flux at RadioShack or another electric house, hobby store or hardware store. Most hobby stores sell rosin core silver solder for the best connections. Rosin core includes the flux in the middle of the solder wire. Silver solder requires an even hotter soldering iron but a 60w iron is more than plenty.

Tinning makes it a lot easier to solder the wire onto the terminal.

After tinning the connections apply heat to the terminal and make sure the solder melts, then touch the wire to the terminal and wait until the solder on the wire melts. You will see the solder flow together. Then remove the heat and wait a few seconds for it to cool. Don't move the wire until it is fully cooled or you'll create a bad connection.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:56 PM
UNITED RC

Here is the easiest way (we have some experience at this)

Go buy 60/40 (rosin core) solder @ Radio Shack

Use a 40-60W iron

hold the tip on the deans plug, and touch the solder right at the point where the tip hits the deans metal area. Solder will melt right onto the deans.

Remove, and let cool for about 5 secs.

good to go

URC