Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Is it dead?

Old 08-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Igotntc3andrevo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it dead?

Hey fellas so i think something is wrong with my 3c lipo by max amps it wont hold a charge at all really it stops running after a few bursts of speed even tho it was charged to 12 volts....whats the prob...plus the batt feels as if it has split and bulged out.....It has never over heated on me while charging tho.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:45 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Is it dead?

If it's bulged then it is definately damaged and should be discharged and disposed of properly, it is dangerous to use/charge it.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Jrgunn5150

It's dead, don't try to charge it anymore. Stick it in some salt water to discharge it fully and get rid of it. You over discharged it.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:01 PM
hands without shadows

Its wrecked for sure, soak it in salt water for a few hours like Jrgunn said and then just throw it out.

Now to find the cause......How old was the pack? Are you using a lipo charger? Do you have a low voltage cut-off? Which pack is it? What setup are you running in the car? Has it ever overheated while running? Have you ever accidentally shorted it?
Old 08-18-2007, 08:16 PM
guver

Discharge battery BAFORE using saltwater if using saltwater.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Mz

yea, lipos are way more fragile and dangerous than nimh batteries. you really have to be careful.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:20 AM
dude54325
Banned

Sounds like you didn't know that much about lipo's when you bought it. You have to use a lipo charger and be careful to NEVER run it when it gets slow. Thats when you will start to damage it. Submerge it in saltwater and that will discharge it. Then, if you want to discard of it properly, then get a shoebax full of sand and burrie the batt in the sand thats in the box. If it explodes or emmits a faint electrical charge, the sand and the box will help stop the explasion or charge from causing a fire or damaging your property. You could also take it to one of those battery places.
Cheers
Old 08-19-2007, 10:24 AM
guver

I keep waiting for one of those battery recycle bins to "have a mishap" in the middle of the night, my home depot has piles of all kinds of batts in the cabinet.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:07 PM
M18MT

this also happend to me once with a 3 cell lipo.
Here is what happened:
I only had a lipo charger that you would have to connect to a car battery.
But I kind of got tired to allways have to go outside, so I thought I would connect the charger to a battery booster charger.
I tried it several times but it never worked and the charger allways gave me an error message.
Later...I read the instructions that came with the charger and it said not to use a battery charger to power up the lipo charger...
and after a couple of days one of the cells bulged out[:'(]...and the battery wouldn't work anymore[:@][&:].

The good news is... if you think the other cells are still un damaged you could convert the battery to a 2 cell lipo... worked great for me!
Old 08-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Mz

that is some scary stuff right there. if handled improperly, lipos can be like fireworks.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:16 PM
mikemcnair

i bet the issue is due to an impact, or, as stated above, over-discharged.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SQ0SNESIkWk

that is an overcharge, but you get the point..........
Old 08-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Igotntc3andrevo

Ok hey guys sorry it took me so long to reply. well here is all the information i have.... the pack was not bought brand new i purchased it off ebay....the pack was never ever hot and yes i do have a lipo charger as i did my research when i bought the mamba competition x pack....i was running a 3c lipo with the 8000 in a rc18t....with the mamba esc.......and i also use a triton charger so im not totally new....the pack would charge to 12.6 volts and not get warm at all to the touch....the only other cause i think is maybe it shorted out by the positive touching the neg.....any way yes i have a volt cut off...because the mamba comes with that....so guys what else do you think and what 3c lipo should i purchase. in its place?......the wires coming from the esc.....didnt have insulation on the spot where they were connected to the deans so that might have done it what do you think......and i dont feel lipos are all that dangerous personally as long as you dont forget about them and if you have a good charger you wont have any worries because it warns you when something goes wrong.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Igotntc3andrevo

O i forgot to say its the maxx amps 2100mah 11.1 lipo....and from what i know it has never over heated in the car.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Igotntc3andrevo

O yeah and M18MT I do use a battery booster for my power source but why couldnt i use that seeing as tho it is a 12v source...and when i get that voltage error message i just charge up the power suppy. and it doesnt come back for weeks.