Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

MQ VR3

Old 09-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Alero2k4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MQ VR3

Here is my recent letter to DTX.

I ran your VR3 motor with an xrs sport reversible ESC and an elite 1500mah 6 cell pack and it lasted no more than 4 packs before the bronze tab that the comm sits on melted. I even had one of your Duratrax aluminum heat sinks on it since I thought it might run a little hotter. This is in a Mini Quake truck with 100% stock gearing and the only other mod is the duratrax cvd's. I was EXTREMELY dissapointed in this motor as I only got to run it 2 days before it was toast. I can understand that my input pinion for the diff broke and the bevel gears for the front diff, these things happen. But for a motor to burn up after around an hour of run time is just absolutely abysmal.
4 backs and the POS was TOAST, the tab with the comm attached melted off.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Alero2k4

Default RE: MQ VR3

Just to follow up, Duratrax support is pretty good.

Hello, and thank you for your recent e-mail. I will be happy to send you a new motor I will need for you to Supply me with your first and last name and mailing address as well and I will get this sent to you.
So I guess what happens if the next one fries??? I really really like the performance of it, would you maybe like for me to help you with a little R&D? I could log my driving style and how many minutes on motor etc and if this next one burns up send it back to you with the log and the motor itself for examination???
I will get this motor sent to you if you have any problem's with This one you will need to send it back to us so we can have the tech's look at the motor. This motor may take From 5-7 business day's for you to receive it.
It was a day or 2 in between replies but to be honest I bet they get swamped lol
Old 09-13-2007, 11:24 AM
andrewtexas123

Sounds pretty good to me i hope you get your new motor soon and you have no problems with it!

Andrew
Old 09-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Alero2k4

Me too. I think there were 2 potential reasons for failure. One being that I did not use a contact grease under the heat sink, and two being that I think full throttle off the line may have ran too much voltage without the motor actually moving and may have damaged it. With this second motor, I am going to run no heat sink, and keep the throttle low until the truck is moving and see if I get more life out of it.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:38 AM
cody_prochaska

but how much can you REALLY expect out of a 15.00 motor? though for the price the vr3 has held up great in my detta and is plenty fast. But it just doesnt compare to my reedy mini mod or lrp fushion.

cody
Old 09-13-2007, 11:41 AM
andrewtexas123

ORIGINAL: cody_prochaska

but how much can you REALLY expect out of a 15.00 motor?
More than an hour

Andrew
Old 09-13-2007, 11:47 AM
cody_prochaska

touche!

cody
Old 09-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Alero2k4

Well, I see people running them in the detta with no issues, and duratrax lists it as a hop up for the quake so I guess I expected it to last a heck of a lot longer than it did.....

The fact that it works great in the detta has me confused...
Old 09-13-2007, 12:01 PM
andrewtexas123

It could be just a one motor thing, so you cant be saying it only works in one car.

Andrew
Old 09-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Alero2k4

*crosses fingers and knocks on wood*