Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

RC 18T Frying Motors

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 05:02 PM
techrtr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC 18T Frying Motors

Fried the stock motor in my RC 18T so I replaced it with a Losi Sport Mini T motor. Ran a few batteries through it and it got hot enough to fry spit and now it looks like it's toast too. Are these things supposed to run this Hot and burn motors out this quickly? Do I need to upgrade to a higher end motor that can handle the current better?
Old 09-16-2007, 05:06 PM
rcboy93

Default RE: RC 18T Frying Motors

is ur gearingstock if not that y
Old 09-16-2007, 05:10 PM
cody_prochaska

i have had no problems with my reedy mini mod and am loving my lrp fushion.

cody
Old 09-16-2007, 05:16 PM
techrtr

Gearing is stock. Reedy mini mod might be a good option if I don't decide to put a Mamba brushless in it.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Probedude

What are you running your car in? I know grass gets my motor scorching hot on my RC18MT. You might put a smaller pinion on the motor to give it some relief. Are you running a 6 or 7 cell pack?
Old 09-16-2007, 06:27 PM
techrtr

I'm running 6 cell batteries. It's running mostly on pavement with short sections of grass.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:47 PM
rcboy93

den it should befine dats wierd try resettin da esc if any thing its dat
Old 09-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Probedude

ORIGINAL: rcboy93

den it should befine dats wierd try resettin da esc if any thing its dat
It's not that.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:54 PM
ercwhtsd

I found that the top screw for the motor mount will actually cause the spur/pinion clearance to change and cause a bind in the drivetrain and cause it to over heat. with mod motors I don't run anything over a 14/60. The cobalt likes to be run at 12-13/60 and the baja at 14/60. I run my stock 370 at 17/60 with no problems,teps no higher than 130 F after 5 and 8 minute runs, all of this is run on carpet and with Novak Spy ESC's though and may be different outside.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:41 PM
DogbreathRacing

we normally get 12- 20 battery packs through a stock closed-endbell type motor, they fry brushes really quick, thats with a heatsink too. Mild mods do much better but brushes still become an issue (tho you can repalce them on a mod), the best option is to go brushless, I have a Mamba 54Kv that is still much faster than stock, as fast or slightly faster than most of the mid-range mods and gets an additional 5-8 minutes of extra runtime after the brushed cars dump. By the time you buy a couple of mods or a handfull of stocks you could have had a brushless, they are so much better.....as long as you keep it tame....most guys go for extreme overkill just because it's available...thats fine if you want to run it real fast up and down the road in front of your house (this also means buying lots of replacement parts) but any serious racer shuns that kind of speed for a speed that is drivable. The race is never won by the car with the fastest straight line speed. The fastest car rarely wins. Slow is fast (remember the rabbit and the turtle story?) It comes down to how much power YOU can control....who cares what your buddy has under the hood, can he drive it?

Brushless? I love mine, no brushes to change, tons of torque, high top speed, smooooooth power, and programable...you can't go wrong, especially at today's prices
Old 09-17-2007, 09:24 AM
techrtr

Thanks a lot for the info everyone. I think I am just going to throw a brushless system in. Thanks for mentioning the 54V system Dogbreath. I probably would have gone for the super high output system and not be able to control the truck.