Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Are Mini-Ts Obsolete Now?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 08:33 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Mini-Ts Obsolete Now?

I was just looking around the forum, but the first few pages have very few Mini-T related threads. What happened to this 1/18th scale pioneer? Are they being abolished by new mini's, and if so, what's hot now? I had a Mini-T PRO ARR with a Mamba Comp. X 8000kv and Mamba 25 ESC combo, HS-81MG servo, JR XR2i AM radio, SMC 6 cell Ni-MH and Thunder Power 1900mAh 3 cell li-poly battery packs. I once clocked it at 63MPH, and it got really, really squirly at top speed, but it was a blast to drive.

I didn't have much time then (or now), which is why I sold it, but I think I'll get a pair of Mini-T PRO ARR with Mamba brushless motors for my sister and I to race around our garage on Friday nights, hit up the local parks and construction sites, parking lots, and get sand paddles and head to the beach.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:53 PM
ferrarimk13

Default RE: Are Mini-Ts Obsolete Now?

basically, they are absolete, because they use cheap parts, and theres many more cars out now. The micro t is super popular, and would be good for mini races. Associated is still up to par, and the other 1/18 losi's are dominating. cars such as the LST2 1/18 is really popular
Old 11-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Big Green Machine

Micro T fever seems to have taken over this board. [:-]
Old 11-24-2007, 08:56 PM
ferrarimk13

yup, maybe there will be something even smaller soon? nano-t? tiny-t?
Old 11-24-2007, 11:40 PM
bigairlife

the m18t is the BEST
lol
imo
Old 11-24-2007, 11:51 PM
markhat250

I don't think so. I just bought one tonight. I just bought an Xray M18T as well. How can a 2 wheel drive ever be obsolete? They are sooo cool. 2 Wheel drive 1/10 truck is the biggest class at my local track, and this is pretty much a replica.

I think in the bashing world it may not handle the 8000kv motors and general abuse as well as 4 wheel. This may be why you, or anybody might think they are becoming obsolete. I think you may have meant to say extinct.

To me, 2 wheel is challenging, and you have to have patients and more finese. You actually have to DRIVE a Mini-T, not bash. This is why I bought mine (second one I've owned). My new Xray M18T should be pretty sick being 4X4 on the track too.

Anyhoo....for bashing? Eh...there are a lot of options out there over the Mini-T I agree.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Savage_Ninja

The Mini-T is made poorly and but the Micro-T was a step way ahead for Losi.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Big Green Machine

ORIGINAL: Savage_Ninja

How is that? What makes the build quality/design of the Micro T so much better? I'm not trying to bash on the micro but the tie-rods all broke when they first released them before they switched to the lexan modders were using, C-clips holding on the wheels are a pain in the ass for everyone, the battery charger requires AA's which is crazy and the radio can't handle the brushless setup they sell for it and without a brushless system and bearings the battery life is abysmal forcing you to buy many many batts and a peak charger. If you want to overcome all these issues to make the thing hobby worthy it'll cost you much more than a mini T and close to the cost of a Mini LST2.

Just my opinion and I respect everyone that enjoys their Micro-T's, but I'd love to hear why they are a step up from the mini.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:49 PM
unseen1

i personally love mine but now that i live in the uk parts are scarce and expensive to order
Old 11-25-2007, 03:13 PM
ferrarimk13

its not that hard to get things to fit in an 18th scale, but it was a huge step getting it into 36th, even if its not that quality. Losi started it, and hopefully other companies will build on it.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:56 PM
Big Green Machine

ORIGINAL: ferrarimk13

its not that hard to get things to fit in an 18th scale, but it was a huge step getting it into 36th, even if its not that quality. Losi started it, and hopefully other companies will build on it.
Sorry, iff topic but...

Actaully Kyosho started micro RC scale. I think Mini-Z will always be the standard in micro sized RCs with competetors racing around the globe in leagues and tournaments. I know technicaly they are diferent scales (even though the wheel base is much the same) but any serious racing that I have seen being done with them Micro-t is on Mini-z RCP tracks. Losi has created a hit but they didn't re-invent the wheel like they did with the Mini-t. Mini-Z's come out of the box far more serious of a hobby grade competetive vehicle than the micro T does and it doesn't look like Losi plans on changing that anytime soon. It would be interesteing to see if AE countered with a Micro sized RC of there own, maybe they would 1up losi buy going 4wd and include a decent sized battery and wallcharger.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:43 PM
ferrarimk13

it would be even better if xray came out with a 36th scale [X(]
Old 11-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Dokioto

I am not a huge fan of the 1/36 scale.. 1/18 is just the right size for inside and performs way better than any 1/36 and going out side 1/36 doesn't stand a chance. I guess it has to with it it being very cheap.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Dokioto

ORIGINAL: Savage_Ninja

[&:] That doesn't make a whole lot of since as Big Green stated..
Old 11-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Big Green Machine

ORIGINAL: Dokioto

I am not a huge fan of the 1/36 scale.. 1/18 is just the right size for inside and performs way better than any 1/36 and going out side 1/36 doesn't stand a chance. I guess it has to with it it being very cheap.
I agree. 1/18 is about as small as is practical for outside bashing/racing and whatnot. Any smaller and it becomes more about novelty of size. Micro size is fun for indoor messing around and great for circuit racing ala RCP tracks. The Miro-T while a very cool little truck is caught in this gap somewhere in the middle where it isn't really a competetive or practical RCP racer and it can't really bash around in the dirt like its big brother the Mini-T. It is however, I imagine great fun to play around with in and around your house, too bad it costs so much by the time you deal with the necesary upgrades to make it fun.
I would strongly suggest a Mini-T over a Micro T to someone new to the hobby as a first truck, that's for sure. The fun to be had stock VS. stock is far, far greater with a Mini-t than a Micro-t IMO. However as others have suggested, the Mini-T has kind of been outshined for most people with 4WD 1/18s. Everyone except those that love the challenge of 2WD that is.
Either way Long live the MIni-T!
Old 11-25-2007, 08:18 PM
bigairlife

nah [:'(]
The mini-t was my first truck, but was probable the worst truck i ever had imo
Old 11-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Hiaboo

I absolutely love my mini-t's. I have had a couple of associated 18's they were good but I still enjoyed the T's more. I currently have 3 t's with 8000kv's and such much like the first poster. But I have one with a enlongated carbon chassis.. That particular one is VERY fast. I haven't managed to clock it with my GPS bcuase for some reason it doesn't work, but I got a read of a relaxed slight throttle drive by at 23 mph so I cant imagine what a full throttle is. Obsolete? That's like calling its big brother obsolete. It's ALL really the same platform, setup, etc once you get to the bottom of things.. If you upgrade ANYTHING properly, it will be AWESOME. So that's why things can't really become obsolete until you can't upgrade it anymore or get parts for it.... My 2 cents.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:23 AM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

So in everyone's opinion, which vehicle would suit my needs better? The Associated RC18 series or the Mini-T Pro? I had both, and I could personally say that I liked my Mini-T a lot more, but a lot can change in a few years, so I'm out as far as what is better built. I plan on driving on the beach almost every day (or at least 3 times a week), hitting up the local construction sites, tearing up the street, and having races in my garage on Friday nights. I liked that the RC18 series are 4WD, but I didn't like how they don't have slippers, rocks would get jammed in the drivetrain, and it was hard to clean after a day at the beach. I liked how the Mini-T was easy to clean and maintain, but it needed more skill to drive than the RC18. The Mini-T could go just about everywhere that the RC18 could go, but the RC18 could get there easier. Snow? Mini-T needed paddles, and in soft powder, it was no match for the RC18's 4WD. Sand? The Mini-T with paddles was just about as good as an RC18 with dirt tires. Street? The Mini-T acclerated faster than the RC18, but the RC18's 4WD let it corner better. The Mini-T could corner just as well, but it needed more skill to manuver. As markhat posted above, "2 wheel is challenging, and you have to have patients and more finese. You actually have to DRIVE a Mini-T, not bash."

Now that I think of it, I just answered my own question. If Mini-Ts are still made in two years, I'm getting a pair of those. I have a Micro-T, but in my opinion, 36th scale is too small to be practical. I think 18th scale is great for indoors and out; snow, sand and street.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:59 AM
markhat250

Here are a few other things I love about the Mini-T:

Without a drivetrain on the front wheels, do you hear of people complaining about thier servo problems with a Mini-T? Go over to the RC18T thread to hear all about that nightmare. The Mini-T doesn't eat servos or need special bandaids.

Also.....the tranny is beautiful with the slipper. How often are you tearing up your tranny and digging into it? Again....go over to the RC18T thread and hear all their sob stories. Plus with these brushless motors these days, a slipper is almost imperitive to live a happy life in the mini world. All that power to the tranny and somthings gonna give. In the Mini-T's case it's just the slipper doing what it was meant to do. Ball difs on the 4X4s are pretty necessary to keep the peace, but I just like the slipper feel.

Yeh....I love the Mini-T. I love flipping the brakes around a tight corner to get the ass end around quick. Can't do that with 4 wheel brakes. Again...the car rulz!! I do have an Xray M18T for all my 4X4 duties though.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:09 AM
Hiaboo

RAWR GOOOO miNIT"S WOOOO
Old 11-26-2007, 03:53 AM
nitro _ burner

Mini Baja WOOT!!!!!
I have a BL set-up in mine and it FLYS!!!
Im going all out soon and buying about $100-$110 worth of stuff!!
I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:52 PM
Dokioto

If you like the Mini-T, get it..
Old 11-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Beomagi

I can't look at any car and say it's perfect as is - all my rc's get an upgrade.

That said, using a better servo spring clip and draglink, is an extremely cheap upgrade, as are shims. It's not a drive train issue, it's a steering setup with too much flex.

Consider bearings for the Mini-t? Definitely a necessary upgrade!
Biggest flaw with the mini-t is the electronics. While labels like bandaids can be tossed at other rc's, an all in one amalgam can be looked at as a brick wall to upgrades - unless you're ready to replace your transmitter, servo and receiver when you upgrade to brushless.

I DO think the gears in the rc18t could have been better. Bigger teeth through a smaller pitch would have helped - e.g. vendetta st.

the mini-t chassis as standard flexes a bit much - the carbon fiber mini-t pros however - beautiful racing machine

Bashing the mini-t really isn't bad - you have the best chassis maker in the business - fullforce rc, and you've got a high angle kickup that makes it pretty good at soaking up hits when the mini-t runs into something.

keep in mind also, that the mini slider is an evolution of the mini-t. and look at all the tamiya vehicles that are offroad rear wheel 2wd - you simply hear about the mini-t less because there's so much new stuff to talk about instead.

You gotta appreciate both - they're both in need of tweaks, and both quite capable.
http://beomagi.ath.cx/rc18t/bigbl/P1000273.JPG
http://beomagi.ath.cx/rc18t/bigbl/frontright.JPG

(sorry, these are a little big)
http://beomagi.ath.cx/mini-t/P1000280.JPG
http://beomagi.ath.cx/mini-t/P1000279.JPG

With all tweaks I could try, the advantage of the mini-t - smoother drivetrain = longer runtimes, faster PER MOTOR
advantage rc18t - more balanced when using larger motors (motor weight tips my mini-t back on takeoff) 4wd gets through grass easier.