Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

What brushless system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 01:30 PM
rustlerbasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What brushless system?

I have an rc18mt. Its mostly stock right now. It has an RPM wide front bumper and little brass fittings that slide over the outdrives to keep them from cracking. The truck is very tough now, but is fairly limited in speed. I think my stock motor is starting to die and the esc is a peice of feces. I want a motor and esc setup that will give me longer run times and a bit better top speeds. I want it to have enough torque to wheelie if I want it to, but not to be uncontrolable. I was thinking of the Mamba 5400 set-up? What are your suggestions? With running that set-up... what things will I need to do t the truck to make it handle the abuse? Ive heard that getting MIP super diffs and steel diff gears from thetoyz is a good idea. I also know I should get the drag link for the steering and the clip for the servo saver (mine never centers correctly). Anything else? I just want a really tough truck that I can jump a lot that wont break a lot.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:54 PM
rustlerbasher

Default RE: What brushless system?

also, what gearing? What is stock gearing in this truck? I know it has the 60t spur... how many teeth is the pinion?
Old 11-27-2007, 03:42 PM
ajb1205

I just ordered the Mamba 25 /6800kv engine a couple days ago. Take a look at this... http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...a%20Setups.pdf . I know it's based off a Mini-T but atleast it gives you an idea. I had a hard time deciding which one to get but it seams the 6800 is a popular one...still has some torque but throw in a lipo and go crazy! Stock gearing on the MT is 10/60 and the 18T/B is 14/60. I already had the DP drag link (wouldn't go without it...highly recommended!!!), have MIP CVD's and super diffs on order from The Toyz as well as the Factory Team carbide diff balls off ebay. Should be almost bullet proof, I hope. Another item I would highly recommend is the DP gear cover...it's gets annoying real fast having to stop every minute to dig out rocks and crap from your pinion/spur...after putting the gear cover on, I haven't had to stop once. I think the 5400 or the 6800 would be great...though, now reading your first post again, the 5400 might be the way to go especially with you running the MT tires. Just me $0.02...let me know what you choose and how it goes.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:35 PM
rustlerbasher

I think i am goin to get my truck ready for brushless and then go brushless when the motor in this truck dies. I Shredded a spur gear today because the motor mounts got rattled loose from too many hard landings. I think im going to break the truck down tonight and order some parts... Im probably going to go for the steel diff gears and an aluminum spur for now. I think i may go with the 5400... Im not going to use li-pos for a long time.. I dont have that kinda money. As long as its faster than stock and runs longer on a charge ill be happy. Can anyone let me know the difference in speed I should expect over stock? ill be running the regular 6 cell pack.I havent decided on gearing, but im thinking maybe 14/60? Im open to suggestions though.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:21 PM
ajb1205

I have been told to stay away from the aluminum spurs...as long as your spur gap is set correctly you shouldn't have any problems. As you know aluminum is much heavier (plus more $$$). Now, I can't say for sure, but 14/60 seems a little tall especially if you are running the mt tires. Try it, I guess, and see if everything stays cool. I'm in the same boat...going to run 2 stock 6 cell packs (1100mah and 1200mah) and wait a bit for lipos to come down in price. Going brushless will be fun even with good old NiMh.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:06 PM
rustlerbasher

ok.. I just ordered a stock 60 thooth spur (my old one shredded) and ill make sure i tighten the motor mounts up good this time. I also got the steel diff gears and the servo saver clip from thetoyz. The drag link is currently sold out, so ill have to get that later. So my next step will be the drag link and the mamba 5400 system. I just have a question... does the mambe system glitch a lot at lower speeds? The mamba max 5700 in my rustler does. I think i may have to sell the rusty to fund my ultimate rc18mt project haha.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:15 AM
ajb1205

Is it cogging that you are talking about? From what I have read, by adjusting your gearing and tweaking the esc settings with the Castle Link, you should be able to eliminate it (plus using good batteries helps, too).