Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Newbie needs help(after a lot of searches)

Old 11-28-2007, 02:24 PM
maybelater29
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs help(after a lot of searches)

I am new to the hobby and decided to go with a RC18T that I picked up last Friday. I love this little truck. After playing with it outside twice then setting up a little course in my living room (my wife loved this) I found I liked running it on a little road style course. The closest track to me is also a carpet road course, so this works out well. After all the searches, I’ve fond a lot of good information to help me out. I know I need to change my shocks (I’ve already blown 2) and move them to lower the car. I also found good information on foam tires. I just don’t know what else to do after that. I will be running in a stock class so I know what to do about the motor and batteries, but, what else should I change to set this up for a carpet road course? I was thinking about replacing the servo with one that has metal gears and upgrading the steering components? There is just so much out for this platform I don’t know what else to do. I would like to keep the vehicle as light and reliable as possible. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:52 PM
cobra26

Default RE: Newbie needs help(after a lot of searches)

I take it from your post that you have not raced before, and that's fine (you're gonna' love it!). It sounds as if you're on the right track and have a good start already by lowering the vehicle and obtaining foam tires for carpet racing.

The only upgrade I would make (whether you race or not) is to upgrade your steering servo to one with metal gears and high torque. This is actually optional but still a good idea even for your first race outing or general bashing. You will get to know other racers there and what mods they have performed. Learn from them, they are after all the "voice of experience" and we all like to exchange ideas and the mods we've done.

No need to go out and spend a fortune. Mods should generally be made slowly so that you can get the "feel" for the effect of each one. Start with the steering servo upgrade and "nose around" at the track for mods that others have made. The RC18T is a good platform to start with and heck, you don't even know for sure if you'll really get into racing "big time". So, just swap the servo, get used to the way it operates, learn what you can from other racers, and have a ball!

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2007, 03:06 PM
ajb1205

I'm sure you have already noticed that the steering has a bit of slop in it. This fixes it http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_details.lasso?id=8087&cat_name=' it makes the 18T handle like it can and should. You can then get the full benefit of running a stronger servo. If you plan on running it outside, this is another must IMO http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_details.lasso?id=6383&cat_name=' . I hope to try a little of carpet racing, too, this winter. Sounds like it's a blast.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:36 PM
maybelater29

Thanks for the responses. The slop in the steering was the first thing I wanted to fix. That and the blown shocks. I've read a lot of things about the diffs and gears, but, I didn't know if those problems were more for the off-road guys.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:48 PM
ajb1205

I also had problems with my shocks...3 of the 4 were spitting oil all over by the second day. I currently have GPM aluminum shocks http://cgi.ebay.com/GPM-Associated-R...QQcmdZViewItem they are OK but tend to leak a little. I also put the AE stock rear shock springs on the rear GMP shocks...the springs that come with them have too many winds (IMO) and the spring bottoms out (plus doesn't have enough tension to push the suspension back up) if you set your preload pretty high. The fronts shocks seems to work great as is. I am upgrading to MIP cvds and super diffs but I have a Mamba 25 brushless system with a 6800kv motor on the way...it should go pretty quick! Keep an eye on both The Toyz website and ebay for the drag link...usually doesn't take them too long to get stock back in.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:15 PM
maybelater29

If I used an aluminum steering assembly would I still need the DP drag link?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:22 PM
ajb1205

I would be better than stock, for sure, but I don't know if it would be as good as the DP drag link. If you're racing you want to be as light as possible and aluminum is heavy in comparison. I would wait and get the DP...my $0.02 worth.