Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

Hmmm, how far is too far? MLST2 mctrickybling...

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Hmmm, how far is too far? MLST2 mctrickybling...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Lilredmachine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmmm, how far is too far? MLST2 mctrickybling...

This is my MLST2 as it presently is:

Mods stand at:
Quark pro car 33amp ESC
Wraith 7K
Thunderpower 2000mah 7.4 Lipo
Integy EVO carbon kit
Integy carbon and alloy top deck
Hotracing solid spur
3racing alloy center gearbox cover
Lightened and hardened MIP top gear
Hot Racing alloy spool
GPM alloy + titanium diff joints all round
GPM steel center shafts
3racing alloy side rails
3racing steering assembly
3 racing swaybar kit
BRP shim kit
GPM alloy shock towers
Standard body chopped for cooling and wing fitment
MT2 rims with Pro Line road rage tyres
Monotuning 10mm extension kit
GPM steel axles
1/10th hubs
Integy willy bar
rear diff locked with Hot racing aluminium locking kit

Parts destroyed:
Standard center diff
Front MIP center CVD
Rear MIP center CVD
Standard diff outputs (snapped one entirely off in the diff)
1 set of diff internals
1 set of atomic CVDs
Stock pinion

I'm getting to the point where I'm nearly out of things to do. I guess I could step up to 11.1...

Old 12-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Hmmm, how far is too far? MLST2 mctrickybling...

That thing is NUTS, coolest MLST2 I have ever seen. That settles it. I am getting a MLST2. I didn't realize how far aftermarket parts have come for that truck. It looks like you can almost completely build a MLST2 out of aftermarket. Wow. The wheel/tire combo is perfect and the blue and silver anno parts look great together.

Oh, and you definitely went too far. Looks like you easily have $1,000 into it. That is both impressive and depressing.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Big Green Machine

Looks good, you must race on carpet to be able to keep the body and truck is such good shape. I would replace the stock servos before I went with more power myself, they are the achiles heal of this truck for sure, although it doesn't look like you bash it at all so that might not be a problem for you. I'd say you have some needless alloy on there like the side rails and the shock towers, but whatever, they look cool. Doesn;t the graphite chassis and alloy side rails kind of cancel eachother out? I like performance hop ups but am not really into those that just glam it up for the sake of looking sweet. I broke my stock plastic bumper mount in the first day jumping my 1' launch ramp, that is going to be my first upgrade. I am going to get a nice beefy alloy one. Next will be some JR 241's as I have had 2 defective servos go on me. I will stay away from brushless as I don;t want to loose my low end torque but I will go lipo down the road for extended run times.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Lilredmachine

Cheers. It certainly moves pretty fast and is pretty stable. I really like the rims too, I had some CEN 2.2 on it a while ago, but it just didn't hack it as they ballooned everywhere and didn't like high speed cornering (sidewalls too soft). These give you some sidewall to play with whilst remaining strong enough not to balloon. Last thing is to clean up the wiring. It's still in 'panic mode', you know where you get the stuff and you wanna try it out so badly you literally just tape stuff in place and go out for a blast.

As for having a second one, apart from the 2.4ghz r/x, the mid gear in the center tranny, and the 2 gearbox cases (though 2 alu ones are on the way) I actually factually have a second MLST2 sitting in boxes. And please don't remind me how much I spent, i guess that comes from being a full time mechanic with no overheads.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:51 AM
scheibler

its cool and all, but I definately would have spent that money spend on aluminum and carbon fiber on a whole nother truck!
Old 12-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Lilredmachine

Looks good, you must race on carpet to be able to keep the body and truck is such good shape
A: It's my third body shell, I also run a JP concepts illuzione shell for bashing.

B: I usually run a 'Detta wing mount and wing which stops it from flipping

C: It don't take much bashing at 35+ mph to damage a truck.

D: Rims are about 2 days old. I shattered 2 of the old ones.

E: I take good care of my trucks.

Doesn;t the graphite chassis and alloy side rails kind of cancel eachother out?
Maybe. Though the truck weighs a good 100 grams less than stock cos of the lipo, single motor and carbon. The 1/10th rims add the most weight by a long shot. The aluminium side rails make a huge difference in rigidity and strength over the stock plastic parts. You taken yours apart yet? You can bend the stock ones around your hand. Think of it as an offset, the carbon allows you to add 'needless' aluminium without incurring a weight penalty over stock. Besides, when you're running a wraith 7k weight doesn't really matter.

I broke my stock plastic bumper mount in the first day jumping my 1' launch ramp, that is going to be my first upgrade. I am going to get a nice beefy alloy one.
Don't bother. You'll bend it first big hit. Either go stock or try to get an aftermarket plastic one. The bumper is the only thing I wouldn't alloy.

I like performance hop ups but am not really into those that just glam it up for the sake of looking sweet
It may appear that way, but everything is there for a reason. The carbon for lightness, the alloy arms are not for alloy sake but they extend the track by 10mm for stability and clearance on the big rims, they just happen to be alloy. I smashed a stock plastic shock tower when I landed upside down off a 4' vert ramp, hence the alloy ones. If they bend then you an keep running, a shattered plastic one is game over. The rims are for on road speed runs, stock for offroad. Wheely bar for obvious reasons. Alloy steering setup, superior to stock, just happens to be blue alloy. Center alloy gearbox, well known fact that the plastic cases flex under extreme power and stress, causing inconsistent gear mesh and eventual failure. Alloy side rails, hugely stiffer and stronger than stock. Drivetrain mods for obvious reasons.

Etc.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Lilredmachine

ORIGINAL: scheibler

its cool and all, but I definately would have spent that money spend on aluminum and carbon fiber on a whole nother truck!
Lol, I've just bought a DRZ-400E supermoto. Funnily enough money isn't a massive issue for me. You think that's bad, you ought to see my BL E-maxx/Revo Kershaw hybrid. Or my 1/4 scale. The MLST is small fry compared to these.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Big Green Machine

Well the side rails may be flimsy when you take the truck apart but that hardly matters. The truck chassis has zero flex in stock form with alloy upper and lower chassis, the siderails aren't able to bend at all, even if they wanted to. the chassis upgrades are needless IMO. That's cool that you atleast drive the truck hard as the pics don't suggest. I am with Schiebler though, I would rather have an entirely new truck on my shelf for the $$$ spent on the MSLT2. Like say...

Old 12-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Lilredmachine

Yah good luck with that. I live in the UK. An LST2 will cost nearly £500 over here, or about $1,000. I ain't spending that on a standard RC. Add in the fact that my Mammoth will trounce pretty much any truck that wants to put up a fight on our track there's really no need to add to my collection of 14 RCs. I'd rather just make the one's I have better. If I wanted to buy a big truck it certainly wouldn't be a nitro anyway, not now.

The truck chassis has zero flex in stock form with alloy upper and lower chassis, the siderails aren't able to bend at all, even if they wanted to
When you get the power to jump over something bigger than a 1' kicker and bend the chassis like a banana come back and say that.

I'm not arguing with you BGM, everything is there for a reason. If you choose to take a particular exception to the aluminium side rails, go ahead but it seems as pointless as you seem to think they are. The fact is that there is maybe £200 in that MLST2, and nearly £1000 in my E-maxx, any $10 part i lob on the MLST2 always seems small fry by comparison..
Old 12-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Big Green Machine

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

When you get the power to jump over something bigger than a 1' kicker and bend the chassis like a banana come back and say that.

Well you didn't list chassis in your "parts destroyed" list so I am assuming you haven't bent the chassis like a bannana from massive jumps either. And again, judging by your pictures of a scratchless, like new truck, and your list of drivetrain ONLY parts that you've broken do to your brushless motor, I doubt you ever will. [&:]
Old 12-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Lilredmachine

The truck is new. I ran it for ages stock but with the BL system. Hence the third body thing. All the carbon and aluminium is new, essentially I haven't used it in anger yet, just a few speed runs to test the steering and rims. it's going to look like that for oohh, say about 15 seconds. Up till about a couple of weeks ago it looked like a normal MLST with a BL system in it.

If you want what i broke whilst running stock, there were shock towers, c hubs, arms, rims, tie rods, body posts etc. Didn't manage a bumper though, that 1' kicker must be mighty
Old 12-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Big Green Machine

It's not the bumper I broke, it's the crappy little mount that holds it to the body. The thing is built like a fuze I think. My buddies MLST is broken as well and he doesn't even jump his. I took 2 pennies, some electrical tape and a zap strap and fixed it, it works as good as new now. Nice truck anyways. You obviouly have it set up for speed. I have an 18MT that is converted for speed with a 8000kv and 8 cell and all the needed and not so needed hop ups. My MLST2 will stay brushed and mostly stock as I basically bash around/climb/jump all the natural bedrock on the Island where i live which is plentiful. I took my stock body off day one so I could shelf it and remember it in the good days and painted up a 66 Bronko in black to beat the hell out of. My chassis, rims and body look months old but the truck is still just weeks new. [:@] I love it though, awesome truck and tough as nails.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Lilredmachine

Aye, I'll agree with you on that. it's pretty tough out of the box. Though that may be more to do with it's slightly plodding performance. That 18MT (associated or X-ray?) sounds nice, they are **** hot with the 8000 mamba in. I have an NT18T that I use time to time, mainly show off at public events lol, it's a bit useless other than that hehe. It's a shame they don't do a mamba motor that can really take the MLST without struggling.

I kept my original MLST brushed too, any more than stock and it used to strip diffs like there was no tomorrow. That's why I like the new one, metal diffs.

Sorry for the slightly bad tempered reaction initially. I know it appears to be a shelf queen, but it really isn't.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:01 PM
nitro _ burner

How is the bottom end on that thing?
Stock diffs holding up?
Old 12-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Big Green Machine

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

Aye, I'll agree with you on that. it's pretty tough out of the box. Though that may be more to do with it's slightly plodding performance. That 18MT (associated or X-ray?) sounds nice, they are **** hot with the 8000 mamba in. I have an NT18T that I use time to time, mainly show off at public events lol, it's a bit useless other than that hehe. It's a shame they don't do a mamba motor that can really take the MLST without struggling.

I kept my original MLST brushed too, any more than stock and it used to strip diffs like there was no tomorrow. That's why I like the new one, metal diffs.

Sorry for the slightly bad tempered reaction initially. I know it appears to be a shelf queen, but it really isn't.
It's an RC18MT, ya it's pretty sweet and cost me a small fortune. Cheers
Old 12-02-2007, 05:09 AM
Lilredmachine

ORIGINAL: nitro _ burner

How is the bottom end on that thing?
Stock diffs holding up?
Yep. The stock pinion and ring gears are sound. I'm running a fully locked drivetrain (apart from front diff) which is just about the nastiest configuration and I haven't popped one yet. I'm having most trouble with getting the power through the diff joints and driveshafts without either snapping the joints or taking the pins off the driveshafts. I think I've got that sorted now though [8D]
Old 12-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Dokioto

Very nice.. What are you running for servos?
Old 12-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Lilredmachine

hehe, stock. They haven't crapped out on me yet. Plus they appear to go in a straight line, which is unusual. Maybe I got a good MLST.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Dokioto

Them going in a strait line doesn't sound unusual to me.. The stock servos are junk (I now run a pair of JR 241) but they do have a great job of turning the wheels and keeping them strait- They just go dead very fast (I have burned up three sets[:'(])