Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Problem with Micro-T Lipo - Solved Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 01:45 AM
javajohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Micro-T Lipo - Solved Problem!

Im a newbie in need of some help. I just installed the Losi Lipo battery upgrade in my Micro-T and for some reason the car keeps shutting down on me. When I turn the car on it will run for a little while then it will just quit. I can still turn the front wheels right/left but the rear wheels wont turn. I turn the car off and back on then the car will run for a few minutes then quit again. Ive tried recharging the lipo battery but that doesnt help. I charged the lipo battery before using it the first time. The car works just fine with the ni-mh battery. The only thing I did to the car was swap the batteries. Was I supposed to do something else? Do you guys have any idea what might be causing this? Is the battery bad?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Solution:
I called Losi and the Tech guy told me that some of their batteries are bad. The batteries shut down when they shouldnt. He told me to return it and they would send me a new one.
Now if I can remember where I put the receipt....
Old 12-04-2007, 01:53 AM
Big Green Machine

Default RE: Problem with Micro-T Lipo

I am guessing it is the Losi brand Lipo. Alot of people have complained about that very problem with them. It seems pretty ridculous to me.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:09 AM
snoking16

i did the same thing a week ago...i got the Desert T and the lipo and it shuts down, all i do is turn it off then back on and it works again fine. although sometimes it shuts down completely...front wheels dont even move back and forth. i think its over heating then cuz when i turn everything off and wait a few minutes then turn it back on it works fine again. i have been dealing with it and next payday im going to buy a new battery with more mAHs.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:07 AM
novakmaxx

maby the motor and esc wires are loose.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:54 AM
LVS
My Feedback: (6)

My Losi Lipo would run about 2 minutes and then just quit. This is just a guess but I think there might be an issue with low voltage cutoff circuit in some of these batteries.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:45 AM
scheibler

mine did that too...don't worry. The battery requires you to run it when its low on charge the first couple run and will shut off. After the first couple runs it should start to allow a full charge, but may shut off after constant full throttle.

Now that my battery has been broken in I get soooo much more runtime and faster speeds then my stock battery. It will occasionally shut off which I believe is from overheating so I just let it cool down for a few minutes and then run again
Old 12-04-2007, 11:39 AM
javajohn

I called Losi and the support guy told me I need to adjust the gears on the car. (whatever that means) He told me when the gears are out of adjustment on the car the extra power from the lipo magnifies the problem and can cause the car to shut down due to overheating. Anyone have any pointers on making adjustments to the car? Im not sure where to start yet.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Big Green Machine

try loosening the pinion/spur mesh.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:16 PM
scheibler

I think its the battery...try your stock battery. Losi probly doesn't want to accept the blame
Old 12-05-2007, 09:49 AM
LVS
My Feedback: (6)

I agree with schebiler's last post. I do think this is the battery. I replaced the bad Lipo with another one and it runs just fine now. What I noticed, when my lipo shut down was the entire car was dead, no steering, nothing. Pulling the plug on the battery and reconnecting did nothing. However, if I plugged the Lipo back in to the charger and then immediately unplugged the battery it was good to go without charging. It is as if the low voltage cutoff circuit was reset.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:17 PM
javajohn

Latest news....
I adjusted the pinion gear and reduced the slip setting. I tried to run the car but no luck. Still died. So I took the diff apart to check for carpet/debris that might be jamming things up. I found nothing wrong there. I put the car back together and tried to run it again. This time it ran like a bat out of hell!! I dont know what happened. It suddenly started working. Unfortunately, I think I reduced the slip too much. My son crashed it and it started making a funny noise. I took it apart and discovered that some of the teeth on the spur gear(the big white gear next to the motor- I think its the spur gear <im a newbie>) were boogered up. Now I need a new spur gear. Hopefully the problem wont return.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:07 PM
javajohn

Default RE: Problem with Micro-T Lipo - Solved Problem!

Problem solved! I appreciate everyones help...
Old 12-11-2007, 04:23 PM
RCCanuck

Default RE: Problem with Micro-T Lipo - Solved Problem!

you likely had a gear that wasn't meshed properly or seated properly....when you took it apart you fixed it by reinstalling everything properly...I found out that the mesh on these are just as important as 1/8 nitro stuff.....when its turned off you should have a very smooth forward and backward motion....if there is any notchyness(new word) or binding at all you will overheat and or strip something.....I have 2 of the Losi 180Mah lipos and have had no issues so far I've charged them both at least 10 times..