Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Trinity Now 1st Impression

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:19 PM
KRO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trinity Now 1st Impression

In the new issue of RCCA they did a really good review on the NOW, and really seemed to enjoy it. The only thing that they found not to like on it was the noisy drivetrain.
Thats about the only complaint I have about it , that and the plastic seems a little brittle .
Old 02-11-2008, 07:31 PM
mrskascook

I was alittle surprized when the mag. article said top speed was 29mph. I haven't had good enough weather here to get a good full speed run. but when I decided to buy this truggy they claimed ALMOST 40mph.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:00 PM
pbmax

ORIGINAL: chris007

In the new issue of RCCA they did a really good review on the NOW, and really seemed to enjoy it. The only thing that they found not to like on it was the noisy drivetrain.
Does RCCA test anything they don't like? I've yet to read anything significantly negative in that magazine about any vehicle they review. They gave a glowing review to the photon, even though the drive train is junk, in my opinion (spurs shred because the motor mount is unstable; diffs shred because they're pot-metal and poorly reinforced).
Old 02-11-2008, 08:09 PM
avalanchet

Is anyone having problems with their motor overheating? I've checked everything I can think of. The drivetrain is plenty loose. The gear mesh is fine. Stock pinion. Stock tires. For some reason after a few minutes of running I can barely touch the motor it's so hot. I had one motor go up in smoke and Trinity replaced it. While waiting to see if Trinity would warranty it, I bought a Mamba 5500kv and geared down to a 10T pinion. Even this motor was running hot. New motor came and I still think it's getting too hot. Can't keep my finger on it for more than a second. I seem to recall when I first got the car it ran much cooler. Is it possible my esc is malfunctioning? The esc runs perfectly cool, I can't even detect any heat off of it. I tested a 2s battery and the motor ran cooler, but was still so hot I could barely keep my finger on it. Anyone have an idea? How hot does your motor run.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:43 PM
papawesty

ORIGINAL: KRO

Thats about the only complaint I have about it , that and the plastic seems a little brittle .
Oh you want to talk about brittle. I think mine was made out of pretzels. I broke mutiple front and rear pretzels just by looking at the thing. When I replaced the parts with aluminun then I just broke more quallity plastic parts. At least I got like 5 solid runs out of the battery before that marvel of human enginuity died on me. I really wanted to like this thing. I loved how fast it went out of the box, into a curb and then sits my house broken ...and then again and again. I would have recomended it to my friends but they are too busy laughing at me or helping me find lost dog bones and even one of my wheels. I kid you not. Not even blindfolded 4 year old Chinese kids on their 23rd strait work hour could have done worse craftsmanship on this sucker. Well Im just sayin its brittle thats all. Maybe Ill be happy after the whole thing is replaced with overpriced metal... and so will Trinity.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:19 AM
thetable

ORIGINAL: papawesty

Talk about brittle. I think mine was made out of pretzels. I broke mutiple front and rear pretzels just by looking at the thing. When I replaced the parts with aluminun then I just broke more quallity plastic parts. At least I got like 5 solid runs out of the battery before that marvel of human enginuity died on me. I really wanted to like this thing. I loved how fast it went out of the box, into a curb and then sits my house broken ...and then again and again. I would have recomended it to my friends but they are too busy laughing at me or helping me find lost dog bones and even one of my wheels. I kid you not. Not even blindfolded 4 year old Chinese kids on their 23rd strait work hour could have done worse craftsmanship on this sucker. Well Im just sayin its brittle thats all. Maybe Ill be happy after the whole thing is replaced with overpriced metal... and so will Trinity.
And I think this is the best summary I have seen!!! +1 and all that stuff.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:45 AM
ericke1

I spoke to Trinity today, their warranty guy said that people were having lots of problems with battery not charging and the spur gear stripping. Other than that he said no other problems. I sent him a link to this site so at least product development can see what people are saying.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:59 PM
ericke1

Question on Charging for the Trinity NOW-I have a Super Brain 989 Charger, what LIPO balancer and balancing adaptor do I need to use with the stock battery? I have changed my battery to a deans connector but that shouldnt matter because I would need to use the balancer to charge it. Links and actual adaptors would be helpful.

I also ordered the Aero Nuts batteries and have installed deans connectors on them, they have a balancing adaptor just like the stock battery. Please advise also on ampage and charge rate. Here is what I have:

http://www.aero-nuts.com/product_inf...roducts_id=453

Will the stock charger work fine with these batteries? How long should it take?
Old 02-12-2008, 07:42 PM
The Hedgehog

I would use the 989, you don't have to use the balancing plug to charge it that is just recommended so they know you are balancing it. Use a balancer seperate while charging it with the 989, its a much better charger than what was included.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:07 AM
ericke1

Sorry to be thick, doesnt the balancer plug into the battery first then into the charger? Will this balancer be a plug and play with the 989 with its banana plugs?

Is this a good balancer? What settings do I use to charge them in the 989?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXMGS7&P=K

Also what is a good place to charge these> I dont have sand or any fireproof area, any idea?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:29 PM
pbmax

Charge them on a surface that won't burn and insulate that surface from things that will burn. The nice thing about sand is that it can be purchased at the store Or you can use some sort of ceramic container, a lipo bag, etc. I charge mine on a plate of glass in the garage or inside a couple of cinder blocks.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Silverfang

Hey guys I have solved the morot mount problem for me at least. The bottom screws for the motor mount kept comming loose even with lock tight. This caused me to strip out 2 spur gears. So I took 2.5 mm hex nuts and put them over where the botttom engine mount screw protruded from the engine mount. With a good and tight torque and some lock tight I Have ran the truggy hard and not even a slight slip. Also I reset the gear mesh and that seemed to help as well.
The weather has been really nice here so I have been able to run it for a few days. It jumps well and handles great for bashing. I want to take it to the track near me to see if its any good there. I have broke nothing more (knock on wood). I have realised some thing about breaking parts on this thing. This truck goes Extreamly fast and has A LOT of torque. That alone can break parts on a 1/16 scale. This thing goes faster than some 1/10 nitro rigs. I out ran my own Jato (being ran by a friend of mine). The jato is only the 2.5 and its all stock, but still I flat out beat it. I have clocked my jato at 35 MPH on a police radar gun. Its not the fastest Jato in the world, but I love it. But if my jato goes 35 mph and I beat it with the Now, that is something.
All in all I hate to see thoes of you that are unhappy with the NOW. I myself am very satasfyed with what I got. It took a little work and a little tweaking, but I have it running good. Part of this hobby for me is to improve on what I am given. And things are going to break. For me that is just an excuse to tear in to the rig and improve it.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:53 PM
KRO

Hey guys I have solved the morot mount problem for me at least. The bottom screws for the motor mount kept comming loose even with lock tight. This caused me to strip out 2 spur gears. So I took 2.5 mm hex nuts and put them over where the botttom engine mount screw protruded from the engine mount. With a good and tight torque and some lock tight I Have ran the truggy hard and not even a slight slip. Also I reset the gear mesh and that seemed to help as well.
The weather has been really nice here so I have been able to run it for a few days. It jumps well and handles great for bashing. I want to take it to the track near me to see if its any good there. I have broke nothing more (knock on wood). I have realised some thing about breaking parts on this thing. This truck goes Extreamly fast and has A LOT of torque. That alone can break parts on a 1/16 scale. This thing goes faster than some 1/10 nitro rigs. I out ran my own Jato (being ran by a friend of mine). The jato is only the 2.5 and its all stock, but still I flat out beat it. I have clocked my jato at 35 MPH on a police radar gun. Its not the fastest Jato in the world, but I love it. But if my jato goes 35 mph and I beat it with the Now, that is something.
All in all I hate to see thoes of you that are unhappy with the NOW. I myself am very satasfyed with what I got. It took a little work and a little tweaking, but I have it running good. Part of this hobby for me is to improve on what I am given. And things are going to break. For me that is just an excuse to tear in to the rig and improve it.
I had though about doing hex nuts too , but I just took some 3 mm hex screws and was able too get them too thread into the aluminum . I have also replaced most of the other screws with 3 mm hex screws . I too havent had that many problems and have been very satisfied with my NOW . You are right about the speed of this car adding to breakages , that and the weight can do some damage (after I went brushless with my RC18 I was breaking things alot). I am sure this could keep up with my REVO or LST2 in a drag race , not so sure of the JATO 3.3 though ......

My diffs are holding up just fine too , did you adjust your slipper too slip some ? I feel this is critical to keeping the driveline intact .
Old 02-13-2008, 11:02 PM
bobrez

Heyas ,I would like to know how to adjust the slipper please fill me in. Thanks

My diffs are holding up just fine too , did you adjust your slipper too slip some ? I feel this is critical to keeping the driveline intact .
Old 02-13-2008, 11:24 PM
KRO

To adjust the slipper with the rear end in the car , take out the battery and rotate the spur around till you have one of the slipper bolts in view . Tighten it till it just bottoms out , rotate the spur till the other slipper bolt comes into veiw and do the same .

The slipper is tightend all the way down now (DO NOT RUN IT THIS WAY !) and now youre ready to adjust it . Loosen one of the slipper bolts 1/4 turn , rotate the spur and do the same too the other slipper bolt . Hold the rear of the car down and keep the rear tires from turning and try to turn the spur gear , if it wont slip a with a little effort then loosen the slipper bolts another 1/4 turn and hold the car down and try to turn the spur again .

When the slipper is set right you should get it too slip with some effort but not alot , the slipper needs to work to absorb the shock loads put on the drivetrain from the motor and jumping .

I like to remove the whole rear end (like you do to replace the spur gear) when I set my slipper cause its easier to adjust .
Old 02-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Silverfang

Yes KRO I did adjust my slipper. I did not note if it was set correctly from the factory or not. But it sure is now and your explination of setting it is right on. I also replaced the grease in the rear dif. I have acess to avation greases at work and I kind of used some on my NOW. The grease is about the same thickness, mabey a bit thicker. But this grease is ment to keep tail rotors cool (reletivly) and lubed while rotating. Probably an overkill to do that, but it cant hurt.
Also I have been running this thing in some pretty dusty conditions. Man this thing is easy to clean compared to my Jato or TMAXX.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:57 AM
ericke1

ORIGINAL: Silverfang

SILVERFANG, CAN YOU POST SOME PICTURES SO I KNOW HOW TO DO THIS, I HAVE NOT RUN MY CAR BUT WANT TO TAKE PRECAUTIONS BEFORE I LET IT LOOSE
Old 02-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Silverfang

I am at work right now but I will post them tonight or tomarrow first thing.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:23 PM
ericke1

THANKS, REALLY APPRECIATE IT.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Silverfang

ericke1 I will have thoes pics up tonight.

I was wonderig if any one knows if any other 1/16 bodies will fit the now. I am feeling creative and want to paint my own body. I know I can get one from trinity, but I was hoping for a different style.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:50 AM
KRO

Looks like the Team VTX truggy body would fit ....
Old 02-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Archanjl

Hi all, decided to join as I just purchsed a NOW. Regarding compatitbility with the PHTON V2 here's the answer I got from Internet RC

Don't know. Not familiar with the Trinity products.

They are made by the same company so probably many of the parts fit but no guarantee !!

You're on your own as far as ordering our replacement parts or hop-ups for your Trinity car.

IRC
WOW, way to make a sale. I did a photo overlay of the upper/lower arms. They appear to be the same.

Someone also mentioned they ordered a part from Trinity and it came in orange, which would make it a Vulcan part. So, I am confident the suspension arms, knuckles and C- hubs will interchange.

They also offer a touring conversion for the Phton v2. Nice looking body.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:47 PM
pbmax

team vtx, next, now, photon, vulcan - they're all KMI knock-offs. Most of the suspension parts are interchangeable, as are a lot of the drive train parts.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Archanjl

Anyone know where to get lower arms? (front) I don't care what they are made of. Thanks
Old 02-15-2008, 08:47 PM
mrskascook

for you guys talking about the slipper clutch. I think the factory might have assembled alot of these truggys with clutch to tight. That s why everyone is stripping out spurs. so i loosened mine before i ever ran it. I haven't had any problems. Of course it doesn't wheeely but its 4 wd so thats cool. Hey SILVERFANG, when you checked out your diff was there much grease in it? from the factory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.