Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Trinity Now 1st Impression

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:32 AM
thetable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trinity Now 1st Impression

ORIGINAL: Silverfang

OR I can get a Factory team RC18T with the nifty blue metal parts for 130 or so and drop a momba 25 and the motor and battery from the now in to it and watch it scream run after run.
That was my solution, although the NOW battery doesn't quite fit in the case. You could either remove some material from the RC18T chassis, of you could take the battery our of the hard case. I intend to take the battery out of the case, but I don't have any of the right heat shrink, and haven't ordered from anywhere that carries it.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:56 AM
KRO

Hmm , I have an RC18T and it needed just as many upgrades and mods to be durable as the NOW has .

The FT kit still has plastic diffs , dogbones , sub par shocks IMO , not too mention the steering slop .

All of these things can be fixed but I have probably 320-350 into my RC18T not including the cost of the car .

Not saying its bad cause my RC18T is super fast and almost bomb proof [8D] .

IF I can get the diffs to last a while and IF TRINITY GETS OFF THEIR BUTTS AND STARTS TO GET SOME SUPPORT GOING FOR THIS CAR It would still be a good deal at 200 IMO . I have about 300 into the NOW including all the mods and the cost of the truck . And before the rear diff went it was a monster on the track , drove like it was on rails and I had no problem clearing some pretty big jumps .

I want to see if Mini Inferno ST diffs would fit , the diff cases look the same , but I am not sure of the diff pinion/shaft .
Old 04-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Silverfang

got this info from the assoicated web sight

Factory Team 18T upgrades include ...

Xtreme RC Cars March 2005
#21216, #21217 Blue Aluminum Threaded Shocks
#21031 Blue Aluminum Dogbones
#21055 Titanium Turnbuckles
#21093 Blue Aluminum Heatsink Motor Mount
#21238 Blue Graphite Battery Strap
#25392 Blue Aluminum M3 Locknuts
#21116 Carbide Steel Diff Balls

I see now my mistake. the diff BALLS are carbide steal not the difs themselves. well I will have to get the steal ones when I sneak this in to my RC garage. But the rest of the upgrades are worth it for me. Bigest thing is the parts support and quality of the parts. But I agree is the parts support ever gets on par with what else is out there I would give the NOW one more chance.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:25 PM
wootham

ORIGINAL: Silverfang

man wootham that is a lot of buying parts and moding just to get the NOW to run. Ya know if you get an RC18T the battery will fit no worries. My Venom will fit and its bigger than the stock now battery. I was thinking of doing all the cool things like KRO did. Great Ideas but in the end my front dif striped out before I got around to moding it.

I know I say it alot but. It is just not worth me spending all that money to hopefuly fix the NOW. If I have to use the KMI parts then I should just drop 89$ and get a KMI much cheeper in the long run. OR I can get a Factory team RC18T with the nifty blue metal parts for 130 or so and drop a momba 25 and the motor and battery from the now in to it and watch it scream run after run.

I had such high hopes for the NOW, but man that is just WAY too much work and money to get it going good. I still can't believe your cans fell appart. I would try some high temp metal set. You can probably get some at the local auto parts store or hard ware store. We use high temp metal set on the 701C turbine engines for minor repairs and it holds up to thoes temps. May work for you. Just remember no matter what the directions say let it set for 48 houres.

Well dude, I was thinking about trying to use the red-thread-lock-that-you-have-to-heat-to-get-off on the threads and then JB Welding it after that. Problem is I cant get my spur gear off on either of the trucks. I do need to loosen that little allen set screw - right? I cant get it loose. [&o] You guys got any ideas? Can anyone tell me if any of these metal spur gears for the RC18 will work?

http://thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_sear...rc18+spur+gear

If I ever walked through the front door at Trinity this would be me - [sm=punching.gif]

Old 04-24-2008, 12:54 PM
KRO

There is a c clip that holds the spur gear on , you need to take off the drive cup also .

I dont think the metal RC18 spurs will work .....
Old 04-24-2008, 01:09 PM
wootham

I see the c clips - one on both sides of the gear. Cant get to that yet. Forgive my ignorance, the drive cup is what the drive shaft gets slotted into, right? There is an allen set screw on it and it need to come off, yes?
Old 04-24-2008, 01:10 PM
thetable

ORIGINAL: wootham

Well dude, I was thinking about trying to use the red-thread-lock-that-you-have-to-heat-to-get-off on the threads and then JB Welding it after that. Problem is I cant get my spur gear off on either of the trucks. I do need to loosen that little allen set screw - right? I cant get it loose. [&o] You guys got any ideas?
Mine was on there with red threadlocker. Apply heat and it should come off. I used a lighter and right at about the same time that the spur caught on fire, the set screw loosened up just enough for me to get the cup out, but the set screw would not come completely out. I ended up drilling the set screw out, then on through the other side, then threaded the hol on the other side. it worked for the five minutes that the Now ran after that before it broke something else, and I sent the MF flying. Of course that cup is something that trinkity doesn't sell by itself. Enjoy.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:42 PM
wootham

Thanks TheTable. I loosened the set screw in two minutes after heating it up. I should of thought of this before. Now if only I could get another spur gear and a motor that wouldnt fall apart. These things are frustrating.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:43 PM
KRO

I see the c clips - one on both sides of the gear. Cant get to that yet. Forgive my ignorance, the drive cup is what the drive shaft gets slotted into, right? There is an allen set screw on it and it need to come off, yes?
Yes .

What I do to melt red thread loc is heat a CHEAPIE allen wrench on the stove while holding it with some pliers , when its nice and red put it into the set screw for a few seconds 10-20 , then grab your good allen wrench and un loosen the set screw . Works 99% of the time for me . Having a good set of precision tools is very imprtant too .
Old 04-24-2008, 01:48 PM
KRO

Last time they were in stock I bought 3 of them !

The one that is on it now has been through many runs on the street and in the house and still looks very good .

I did switch the motor mount screws too some 2.5mm socket head cap screws though and it allows me to tighten the motor down really tight . So far I have only stripped 1 spur gear .

As I have said before the slipper setting is very important in this car because of the weak driveline ... Better too slip than strip !
Old 04-24-2008, 01:57 PM
wootham

KRO - the allen wrench on the stove is a spectacular idea! I dont suppose you wanna sell a spur gear. If I did my math correctly you only have one good spare left.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:59 PM
KRO

Have you tried Trinity direct ?
Old 04-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Silverfang

I stole my wife's hair dryer to heat up the thread lock. The look on her face was worth wating for the thread lock to loosen.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:52 PM
hofer07

I have puchased 2 Now's the second one off e-bay for parts. I have read many of the posts. I am having troble with trinity batteries. I do not know if it is trinity batteries or how to treat them. I had gotten a bad battery with the fist now and had gotten a differnt brand fom e-bay that has gone bad. The trinity batteries,I have sent it to trinity and told them I had 2 so they sent me 2 and I was happy about that. I now had been using the new one from trinity and it worked for about a Month. I have not used my vehicles for about a month and tried to plug that battery in and got the dreaded yellow light on the charger. Sould I use special consideration on these batteries, sould I chager them every time i use as a procedure and leave them in a charged state? if I do not use them for a while or in storage what sould I do.

Sould I stay away from trinity batteries or is it ME?
Old 04-25-2008, 04:08 PM
thetable

just leave it on the charger. The yellow is halfway between green and red, and it is getting close to finishing the charge.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:41 PM
KRO

I would make sure the ESC is set for a 3s battery , if you over discharge LiPo batteries you will ruin them .
Old 04-26-2008, 05:23 PM
hofer07

just leave it on the charger. The yellow is halfway between green and red, and it is getting close to finishing the charge.
Well after 1 day on the charger and the battery light is still yellow. I figured that "the table" does not know what he is talking about.

What I know is that if you begin to charge and plug the battery in and it is red that is good. Then it will change to green eventually when completly charged. I guess that if you run your car and do not disconnect the battery from the car it will over dischage the battery. As i said I had not run the car for about a month with it still connected. (so it would take some time to over dischage)

Anybody else have some insight?
Old 04-27-2008, 10:19 PM
dubum

First, you did not say that you kept the LiPo connected to the ESC you just said you have not used it in a month. Very bad too do!
Second, you may want to get the Maxamps DVD for LiPo battery care. It's free, why not!
Third, to get your battery back to life you will need a good charger that can trickle charge at a low, low amperage. It may not work, nothing is certain. The battery might be dead to the world!
Good luck!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Silverfang

general rule for lipos. Always charge them berfor your run them. never leave them connected to the ecs (unless your are acually runnign the car of corse). as soon as you see any decrease in performance stop and recharge the battery. if you do not use the battery for a few days charge it. this will keep the charge fresh and eliminate any chance of over discharge.

read all the instructions on the lipo battery if you still have them. Also read the mamba manual and it will explain how to set the voltage cut off to prevent over discharge.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:57 PM
ericke1

http://www.shop.gotnitroonline.com/p...&productId=377

Will this work for the NOW?
Old 04-28-2008, 03:11 PM
KRO

I dont think so . The Trinity gear is like a 60 or 62 tooth gear

If you want to try and mod something too work then try the spur gear for a Trinity Itsy Bitsy Spyder , its the same thing as a NOW spur but they didnt fill in the holes for the slipper too mount up .

It would work if you drilled new holes or made some spacers for the holes in the spur gear .
Old 04-28-2008, 11:33 PM
dubum

I thought I saw somewhere that the NOW was the same platform as a couple others, but I can't find it.
I know the Team VTX was one of them, but I am not sure on the others. OK, I also see IRC.
Could someone please enlighten me? Thanks!
Old 04-29-2008, 08:08 AM
thetable

Very similar but not the same.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:54 PM
dubum

Over 3/4 of the part #'s I've gone through for the VTX and IRC are the same as the NOW. I'm not really seeing too much of a problem getting parts for this thing.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:19 PM
mrskascook

hey dubum

sounds like you got it all figured out, Now explain to KRO and myself why our truggys are out of commission. With a bad rear diff drive gear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.