1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Wind Hobby Ferret 1/16th Electric Buggy

Old 01-11-2008, 05:16 PM
peskelton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Wind Hobby Ferret 1/16th Electric Buggy

Does anyone know what the speed reducer listed on redcat is/does? [link=http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdetail_part.asp?partno=86063]this thing[/link]

I'm hoping it's a slipper clutch...maybe a direct fit for the Ferret?
Old 01-11-2008, 05:41 PM
email4walker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got my parts today! Order them on Sunday and some more on Wed. I got all of them today (Friday). They are a pretty good company. Really fast shipping.
Also, the part looks like a slipper clutch, but with strange end connectors.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:52 PM
email4walker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does anyone know how many turn this motor is over stock?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLYA6&P=ML
Old 01-12-2008, 10:47 AM
peskelton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I ordered my parts last friday and still don't have them...I checked the UPS tracking number, which I had to get from Redcat via email and UPS says there's a delivery scan for it. Does that mean it's been delivered or out for delivery? I don't get it.

I've seen those VR3s. I think I want one. I just measured and it's the same size as the stock motor on the Ferret. It's gotta be better, right? Maybe it'll handle higher voltage? I may hold out for a brushless, just wish they weren't so expensive...
Old 01-12-2008, 03:44 PM
email4walker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok, I put in the/a new motor:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLYA6&P=ML

It fit in just like the stock one. Taking out the stock motor was a little bit of a pain, but it all worked out. I stripped my pinion gear set screw (the screw/gear on the motor) a I had
to buy another pinion gear. My local hobby shop was out of the 16 teeth gear (our stock gear), so I had to get a 15 teeth. I'm not sure how it ran stock(I never drove it stock),
but it is a really fast car! This car was the best deal ever!
Old 01-13-2008, 09:26 AM
peskelton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can you post a video of your car with the VR3? I bought a 400 size motor at my LHS but it was a turd, slower than the stock motor. Thinking about taking a turn or 3 out of the motor wires.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:57 AM
email4walker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sure (wearther pending).
Old 01-13-2008, 04:42 PM
email4walker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I lucked up here in Michigan. It wasn't that colded and no snow. In the middle of January, that is unheard of. I think it is going to snow tonight. But anyway……I don’t think the video does it justice (not the best video), but I’ll let everyone else decide:

http://media.putfile.com/Ferret-116-Scale-RC-Car

This is with the upgraded DuraTrax VR3 Ultra High rpm 380 Motor, 15 tooth pinion gear, and 30 weight oil in the shocks (much better handing than the stock oil).
The stock gear is 16 teeth. If you keep that one in or go higher teeth, it will go faster.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:18 PM
peskelton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I went ahead and ordered one at my LHS before I saw the video. That looks pretty damn fast! Especially for how cheap that motor is. Awesome!

I tried to take a few turns out of the stock motor armature. It worked but I think I need to redo more meticulously. It got really hot and I had to push the car to get it started. Not sure it's really worth the effort...

I put in my 11.4v LiPo and took er outside. Not too impressive. I am surprised though, at how much more punch my 7.4v LiPo has over the NiMH that came with the car.

Did you have to lengthen the motor screw slots on the motor plate to fit a 15 tooth pinion?

I made a mod to the top plate (the plastic plate that holds all of the electronics) to straighten up the spur gear. If you slot out the screw holes on the plate where it screws to the rear diff housing, you can flex the chassis so the spur is at a right angle to the rest of the car. It doesn't take much to straighten things out. I added lock washers to the screws in order to keep them from sliding back towards the front. It also quiets the gear mesh noise...

Thanks for the video!
Old 01-13-2008, 08:43 PM
email4walker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: peskelton

I went ahead and ordered one at my LHS before I saw the video. That looks pretty damn fast! Especially for how cheap that motor is. Awesome!

I tried to take a few turns out of the stock motor armature. It worked but I think I need to redo more meticulously. It got really hot and I had to push the car to get it started. Not sure it's really worth the effort...

I put in my 11.4v LiPo and took er outside. Not too impressive. I am surprised though, at how much more punch my 7.4v LiPo has over the NiMH that came with the car.

Did you have to lengthen the motor screw slots on the motor plate to fit a 15 tooth pinion?

I made a mod to the top plate (the plastic plate that holds all of the electronics) to straighten up the spur gear. If you slot out the screw holes on the plate where it screws to the rear diff housing, you can flex the chassis so the spur is at a right angle to the rest of the car. It doesn't take much to straighten things out. I added lock washers to the screws in order to keep them from sliding back towards the front. It also quiets the gear mesh noise...

Thanks for the video!

Your Welcome. I have a few questions and I'll answer yours:

Q. ("I am surprised though, at how much more punch my 7.4v LiPo has over the NiMH that came with the car." ) Are you using the same speed controller? What did you have
to change (if anything) to run lipo cells?

Q. ("Did you have to lengthen the motor screw slots on the motor plate to fit a 15 tooth pinion?" ) Nope, everything is the same. No mods.

I talked to some guys at the hobby shop and they told me about the "mamba system". It is a complete Lipo system, motor and all. They say with it, we'll push 50 mph + !!!
To be honest, thats TOO much speed for me.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:20 PM
peskelton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I didn't change anything to run the LiPos. Everything has been fine. That speed control is surprisingly good.

I'd like to give the mamba a try but it's so expensive. Maybe I could snag one on eBay. I think you'd have to have a slipper clutch for a motor that powerful. Might just order the speed reducer on Redcat, just to see what it is...

That VR3 must be a good motor. I did a search on Yahoo for it, and one of the links was for someone who won a championship with that motor in a Vendetta. Can't wait to try it. Here's that page: [link=http://www.duratrax.com/cars/dtxd13-vendetta/dtxd13-events.html]VR3 championship[/link]

Check this out too: [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRUvcVCoimY]VR3 in a Vendetta[/link]
Old 01-13-2008, 10:17 PM
email4walker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, Sweet video. His looked faster than mine. It makes me think am I losing any major speed by going down a gear (15 tooth vs. 16 tooth pinion). All he was running was vr3 motor, novak micro gt esc, nimh pack, and the rest was stock (16 tooth pinion gear). I am going to have to upgrade my batteries to make mine better/faster. One thing I didn't show on my vid was going thru grass. It went thur it like a champ. I thought because of the car size it would not take it very well. I was wrong.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:02 AM
finalgear

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

what you have to remember is the gearing on our cars is different also take into consideration wheel diameter is allot smaller on that car also
Old 01-14-2008, 11:48 PM
peskelton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok, so I finally got my order from Redcat. Took about a full business week 9 calendar days to get the stuff. UPS had it for 2 full days here in KC before I got it. Booo.

I ordered a lot of stuff:
Stadium truck wheel and tire set
On-road wheel and tire set
Foam bumper assembly - for the on-road car
Inner hub bearings 12mm - didn't have the outer hub bearings 8mm
and some other misc. replacement parts

The truck wheels and tires are sweet! They don't come pre-glued though. They are a bit bigger than the stock wheels and tires so you'll probably need to come down a tooth or two on the pinion. For bashing, these are definately the way to go.

The on-road set was a big surprise. They're about 2/3rds the size of the stock set. And the hex hub is way smaller. Not sure what's up with that. The 5 cars Redcat has in 1/16th are the Tremor series so I figured most of these parts were interchangeable. Nope. I wonder when using a brushless set up, if these are a good idea?

The bearings made a huge difference in wheel slop even with only half replaced. I'll have to get the other bearings - 8mm from Himoto...[link=http://himotoracing.com/product/spare_part/86082.jpg]8mm bearing[/link]

My main problem now is the drive gear in the diff housing. I'm on my second one and it's done now too. I land off the throttle and I can't figure out why I keep stripping teeth back there. The one pictured on Himoto looks darker. I wonder if it's a differnt material. [link=http://himotoracing.com/product/spare_part/86032.jpg]diff drive gear[/link]

Also, Himoto's diff assembly appears to be a ball diff, not planetary. Possible slipper clutch application?!! [link=http://himotoracing.com/product/spare_part/86033.jpg]diff gear?[/link]
Old 01-15-2008, 08:43 AM
email4walker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can you post pics of your new truck wheels and tires? I'll have to get me some bearings. I thought about it and now it looks like that is the way to go. At my local hobby shop, I think the bearings cost $1.75 each. It gets expensive when you have to buy them for 2 cars. Is the drive gear metal or plastic? That is a strange problem stripping the gear, and this is you second one. What could cause that? Sounds like you are doing all the right things when you drive.

Question to all readers: Has any one else stripped a gear? If so, what caused it? How did you fix it (besides just changing the gear, what else did you do)?
Old 01-15-2008, 02:12 PM
peskelton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"[img][/img]" is all I get when I click the image button...how do I put photos on here?
Old 01-15-2008, 02:14 PM
peskelton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Got it. Have to click the reply link in the actual forum thread and not use the quick reply field at the bottom...duh.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79274.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	852026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76813.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	852027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io28834.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	852028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy71667.jpg
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	852029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv16292.jpg
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	852030  
Old 01-15-2008, 02:23 PM
email4walker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Those tires and rims are pretty sweet. How did it run with them on? Was the bumper a direct fit or did you have to mod it?
Old 01-15-2008, 03:10 PM
peskelton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The bumper is just a simple replacement of the current bumper...I just found the off-road version [link=http://himotoracing.com/product/spare_part/86060.jpg]bumper[/link] doh!

The bigger wheels and tires are pretty good for jumps and extra "beef" on the car. However, I need to decrease the amount of teeth on the pinion so I don't burn the motor...
Old 01-15-2008, 03:19 PM
finalgear

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Me likey
Old 01-15-2008, 03:32 PM
ehroof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

its the electric version of the redcat tremor. I think redcat will be carrying them soon. I love my tremors, i have them all, i wonder how these are. They really arent a copy of anything.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26654.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	852109  
Old 01-15-2008, 08:05 PM
peskelton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ehroof

its the electric version of the redcat tremor. I think redcat will be carrying them soon. I love my tremors, i have them all, i wonder how these are. They really arent a copy of anything.
Do you mean the Ferrets or the Tremors? So far I know of a few different companies with their name on this exact car whether it's nitro or electric. Wind Hobby, Himoto, Redcat, and a few others I've stumbled across. I'll try to post links in a bit...
Old 01-15-2008, 08:58 PM
finalgear

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well i found another weak spot on the car the Shocks are horrible after a rebuild and off roded for 30 mins they leak so my next upgrade are shocks and these are the ones i bought http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...7956&cat_name=
Old 01-15-2008, 09:03 PM
email4walker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They don't look like they have a lot of travel. Have you but them on yet?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:11 PM
peskelton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[link=http://www.b2brchobby.com/rc-cars.htm]Wind Hobby[/link]

[link=http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdetail.asp?basepartno=TREMOR]Redcat[/link]

[link=http://himotoracing.com/index.php?main=catalogue&product=buggy&type=electric&scale=16&pg=1]Himoto[/link]

[link=http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/ge-industry/product-detailmbSJcoZrZthC/China-1-16th-Scale-4WD-Nitro-Gas-Powered-Off-road-Buggy.html]Gemini[/link]

[link=http://www.oztion.com.au/----1-16th-scale-Nitro-Off-Road-Buggy--/auction/1834864.aspx]HSP[/link]

I haven't noticed the leaking shock problem so far...those shocks you bought do look a bit too short. A buddy of mine got the Vendetta shocks and they are too short, but can work. You just have too drill a new hole in the A-arm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service