Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Wind Hobby Ferret 1/16th Electric Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 02:06 PM
vballcoach
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wind Hobby Ferret 1/16th Electric Buggy

nice job mouse!

do you have any issues with the front suspension not being angled up as is on the stock chassis? If you look at the aluminum chassis here http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdeta...p?partno=86001
the front diff mount is angled up. I wonder if it's just for extra clearance.

I was going to do the same w/CF but I keep getting outbid on ebay!![:@]

I still may try to win a 2.5mm panel and make some shock towers...the stock ones bend too easy.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:21 PM
myteemouse

thanks!

yeah, i forgot to mention that the front kick up is lost b/c of the flat chassis. i noticed the stock chassis has the kick up as well. if anything, the steeper caster angle should make the front end more responsive to steering input. i haven't noticed any steering probs at this time.

i'm not sure CF is good for shock towers. i was considering doing the same, but decided not to when i read a thread that some guy broke CF shock towers while racing his mini inferno. he switched to aluminum. he was racing on an indoor carpet track. here's the thread:

http://www.uk-microrc.co.uk/forum/in...showtopic=9358

i think using a better grade aluminum stock for shock towers will be a more cost effective option. besides, aluminum can be bent back.

FYI: i had enough CF to make 3 lower chassis and 4 upper chassis. i'm using one lower chassis, and 2 upper chassis (one on my 2nd, mostly stock car). i started making the other two lower chassis, but wanted to play with the final design before i did anything else.

my goal was to make something that doesn't require any additional hardware (so far so good!).

let me know if you're interested in one of the other chassis...
Old 06-29-2008, 04:25 AM
myteemouse

so i got some video:

i call the car the mk2

bash session
a few jumps and a funny crash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZIVPfV4lfQ or http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...31954833&hl=en

jumps 1 and 2
case the landings - pretty funny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvLiPS1epqw or http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...93977167&hl=en

jump 3
perfection (almost)! very slight overshoot. i did not get video of the perfect jumps - landing right on the transitions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-vB0kZ1maM or http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...99522670&hl=en

audio is slightly out of synch, sorry about that.

for all videos stock motor/pinion and batteries are used. chassis is the carbon fiber one posted previously. rest of the set up is as described in previous post. jumps were made by neighborhood kids for their bmx bikes.

car survived. only problem now is that the motor keeps coming loose (probably from the chassis smacking the ground on all those hard landings!). not sure if i stripped the mounting holes in the motor or not. might try to replace the motor mount with a stronger one (still out of aluminum though).

gears/gearboxes are still going strong...

a pretty successful test session...

i hope you guys have as much fun watching the videos as i did making them!
Old 07-27-2008, 02:43 AM
cray-

Just noticed the Aussie seller I got mine off is now selling brushless versions of the TC/MT/ST/Buggy. All the same chassis, just with different arms and wheels to change ride height. And obviously different bodies. I think I've been through them before, just now they are brushless. Prices have been WAY WAY high though. I suspect some serious shill bidding as on eBay.com.au its now fully anonymous [Bidder1, Bidder2, Bidder3, etc]. However it does show the winner of the auction and there is one guy that seems to be buying dozens and dozens of RC items from the same seller. I have a feeling he is just going too high and not getting an actual sale. Still has to pay eBay fees though. Very dodgy.

Anyway, just wanted to say, the factory brushles are out thereb ut they don't look anything special.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:04 AM
email4walker

Do you have a link for the auction? I would like to see them and research if they have any metal gears.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:54 AM
hojin

whats the cheapest place to buy parts ie s&h wise
Old 07-31-2008, 06:20 PM
vballcoach
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: hojin

I'd suggest getting a 2nd car from MicroCenter. They were $39.99 last time I was at mine. I'm going up to get some pc gear so I'll check again.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:48 PM
hojin

ORIGINAL: vballcoach

ORIGINAL: hojin

I'd suggest getting a 2nd car from MicroCenter. They were $39.99 last time I was at mine. I'm going up to get some pc gear so I'll check again.

unfortunately i dont have one near me thanks though
Old 08-26-2008, 06:54 PM
kylohre26

Hey all! New to this thread, sort of new to RC'ing. I have the Ferret as well, and was doing my due dilligence to find a replacement part since my son decided to full speed bash wheel into curb, needless to say, shaft is toast. But thankfully I came upon this thread, you guys are awesome.

I've read through the entire thread, and will be patiently awaiting a better US reseller of parts/accessories. Was thinking of upgrading Engine/ESP/Battery and such, but think for now will just go for Lipo7.4 from the NiMH7.2 stock for now, and of course look for a generic replacement to the wheel shaft so I can reattach the wheel for now.

Peskelton, we should chat, I live in KS too, probably bought mine from same MC as you, the one on Metcalf. I'm going to visit the Hobbytown USA right next to it tomorrow possibly to see if I can mine a spart shaft from another like model, but am not too hopeful after my reading tonight.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw my simple hat into this R/C ring for a while, keep up the good researching everyone!
Old 09-07-2008, 08:10 PM
myteemouse

if anyone's interested, carbon fiber shock towers and radio tray are available from exportpro ~

front shock tower (#182022t)
http://www.exportpro.biz/accessories...spare_list.php

rear shock tower(#182023t)

radio tray (#182002t)

the parts can also be found by typing in the appropriate part # in the search field of the exportpro.biz website.

the chassis is listed as out of stock.

just out of curiosity, has anyone else tried racing this car, or at least taken it to a track? has anyone else found or done anything new with this car since the last few mods were posted?
Old 09-07-2008, 08:34 PM
email4walker

I have taken it to a track. We need metal gears or a slipper clutch to make it a great race car. Without one of those, you will have problems at the track (I did).
Old 09-07-2008, 09:49 PM
myteemouse

sorry e4w,

i was wondering if anyone new has run the car on a track. i'm curious about handling characteristics, suspension set-ups, ease (or lack thereof) in setting up the car for the track/driving style. just bashing around is fun and all, but can't really get a feel for the car's other qualities....
Old 09-07-2008, 10:06 PM
email4walker

No problem. For what it's worth, it does handle really well on the track. Doing on-site changes for track conditions was just as easy as the more expensive cars. However, the local track I go to is indoor carpet with jumps, so track conditions for me were pretty much the same until they changed the track around (once a week). Our cars can hold it's own with the big boys. I will say change the shocks for track racing. It runs fine with the stock ones, but you will bottom out a lot and lose your speed on the jumps.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:53 AM
kylohre26

I haven't run mine at the track as of yet, was planning on it, but since the crash, cannot get replacement parts to repair the wheel. Was hoping to find some parts that might have been close enough to fit the FERRET, but no such luck. I was basically laughed at with the Hobbytown USA here in KC, they basically have the opinion that 'online cars' are ****e and shouldn't even be considered as cars. *******s.

Here's hoping we find something US to supply these parts, my son and I are jonesin for some ice dancing this winter with the car, but no go without a new wheel assembly, and possible new battery supply.

The search goes on.....
Old 09-09-2008, 10:34 AM
dubluv

so where does one find a Ferret these days?
Old 11-16-2008, 05:31 PM
frankf8293

Helo All: I have been reading the post on the Wind Hobby Ferret, which I purchased slightly used off Craigs list for $50. This is my firt rc car as I have been flying and building from scratch electric rc planes. I have since purchased a Side Winder 6800kv with esc kit. Had to do so mods to the motor mount due to the 2.3mm pinion I purchased. I have been running it on eight cell 9.6v batteries. The best battery coming from my old zagi @ 500mah. I am not sure if I am ready to run lipos yet. All of mine are 11v, from 900amh 20c to 2200amh 25c. With the brushless motor on the eight cell she is quite fast. Though I have yet to fully set the controller to the esc. Also I have been a little easy on the throttle, as I am still not sure of parts ordering (have not killed any gears yet,and mostly running on pavement). So I am hoping you guys are still running these cars. And can direct me to the best place to order parts for the gears etc. From what I read it looks like Himoto. Look forward to someone responding back. frank8293
Old 11-17-2008, 07:27 PM
BCheese

ORIGINAL: dubluv

so where does one find a Ferret these days?
I have one i bought used & super shape with touring tires. I've yet to run it. Just don't have time. I'll sell it for $50. plus shipping If interested. BC
Old 11-19-2008, 10:58 AM
frankf8293

BCheese: Would like more info on your ferret for sale. Can you e-mail a pic, or enter onto post? If not, what size are rims, color etc. Would like for extra parts. Let me know. My e-mail is [email protected]
Old 11-19-2008, 01:53 PM
BCheese

Yes, I'll take some tonight & send to you.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:20 PM
civilguy1

I know this is an old thread, but I am looking for a lightly-used, clean Ferret. Anyone out there have one that got run a couple times and put away? Maybe a broken a-arm or something simple? I am giving 2 to my nephews, but have 3 nephews....
I'm looking for a stock one too- something simple for them to play with. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:33 PM
email4walker

This may be a silly question, but did you try ebay? There is a few guys out there with some. I have a brushless one that is in pieces. Everything is there, it just needs to be put back together. I don't have a remote for it though. If need one really bad I'll sell it to you for dirt cheap with the brushless motor. No worries, I'm not trying to make a profit. Just give me what you think it is worth. Oh yeah, I'll put it all back together for you. Good luck in your search.

I just remembered, there is another car out there that is just like the ferret but has a different name. I can't remember it, but I think they runs around $100, give or take $20. Keep searching. Some people out there do have some.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:47 PM
civilguy1

I am watching one on eBay, but the shipping is high and it's starting at the same price I paid for 2 buggies and a parts car!! That's the only one I've found so far.
Thanks for the offer, but I've thrown this up on a couple forums and I'm sure something will come up. I just joined here because this thread kept popping up on all my searches.

Edit: There's a HSP Trojan and the Himoto EXB-16. They are the same buggies.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:57 AM
email4walker

Yep, those are the ones. I'll let you know if I run across some new one for a good price. Try craigslist too. I'll check my area and let you know.

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:34 AM
wga22

Mine is having a problem where it studders with <10% power. I have the batteries fully charged. Could the motor have gone bad? I have gotten my fair use out of it, so it doesnt owe me anything, but I would like ot have it running again.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:09 AM
myteemouse

well, i figured out how to adapt the trinity slipper clutch to the wind hobby ferret. i wasn't sure if i should start a new thread, so figured i'd post up here first, along with pics. i figure i can always start a new thread for the "how to" anyway.

i designed 2 chassis - one that uses stick packs, and the other uses saddle packs. i decided to build the saddle pack chassis because saddle packs provide better handling. the best part about both mods is that all the parts (except the clutch and chassis parts, of course) are done with parts from the ferret. the chassis can be built from aluminum. lipos can be bought as saddle packs, but they're really expensive. might have figured out how to mount a stick lipo instead of the saddle packs, but not sure i wanna try it.

the main goal was to add a clutch to the tranny to save the drive pinion gears. decided to design/build a car that would overall be more durable and handle better. i also changed the shock mounting locations which can be seen in the photos. the shocks are now closer to the center of mass of the car, which should help handling; and the shocks are also better protected in crashes. relocating the shocks is a freebie (my favorite mod!!) if the shocks stay in their original locations, you can add sway bars.

since i had to make new shock towers to fit my shocks (they're shorter than stock), i also added adjustable roll center holes for the upper links (front and rear). right now, only the rear has an adjustable roll center. haven't been able to test it yet, since i'm still testing the tranny. i figured out how to give the front an adjustable roll center, but can't do it cause it means machining a block of aluminum. having adjustable roll center is suposed to be better than having roll bars.

the mod cuts the main shaft (to 58mm), and flattens the cross section of the cut end so it looks like a "D." the clutch keys to this, much like the drive cups key to the drive pinion shafts. the mod should also work with the stock chassis, you just have to flip the motor around and drill the necessary holes. you might also have drill new holes for the gear boxes, pushing them out a millimeter or two. the wheelbase is now 184mm.

anyway, here are some pics. i have a short video, but you can't really tell it's working. you can hear the motor rev really high. i'll try to take more video soon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74UHD2fpvRU

i forgot to add that this mod also uses front drive pinions for both gearboxes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27944.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1224422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26081.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1224423   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26331.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1224424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27723.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1224425  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.