Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Hyperion cogging like crazy on Mamba 25?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 01:40 PM
RevToTheRedline
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyperion cogging like crazy on Mamba 25?

Just got all the stuff installed for the new Mamba 25 / Hyperion 6000kv, and it's not doing anything but hopping all over the floor, or as the brushless world calls cogging. Does this mean I have to spend more money and get Castle Link to upgrade the firmware, I've heard some people say its a firmware issue, I didn't think buying a Mamba 25 today would require a firmware update already, all this crap is starting to get on my last nerve. money money money.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:43 PM
DarkHorse

Default RE: Hyperion cogging like crazy on Mamba 25?

> hopping all over the floor
Cogging is experienced when the motor fails to start smoothly, hesitates and chugs at low speeds. It could be fireware and ESC settings or gearing too tall with large diameter tires...

Try plugging your numbers in this calc for ball park results:
http://dhrc.rchomepage.com/RolloutCalc.htm

Edit: The 2 different Mamba25's here (bought from different places) were both a couple of revisions old (~v1.5).
Old 03-13-2008, 01:45 PM
RevToTheRedline

If I can't run 23/60 gearing I don't see how a ton of people with MLST's are running 23/54, or even 25/50
Old 03-13-2008, 01:47 PM
DarkHorse

At what voltage?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:48 PM
RevToTheRedline

I'm running a 6 cell nimh pack
Old 03-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Mini_Me

I run a 6kv Hyp with no issues. Though I do use lipos and have the Mamba firmware updated.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:04 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was running a 16/58 in my MLST with a Mamba 8000 on 7cells without any cogging issues.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:07 PM
RevToTheRedline

What it seems like is the power cuts out, if i hold it, the car will acceleration without any load, but as soon as i hold one of the wheels or put it on the ground it stutters, and doesnt respond very well to any input.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:09 PM
t9dragon

If you don't have the Castle Link, you should spend the extra $20 and get one. It will make programming the ESC a heck of alot easier.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:10 PM
RevToTheRedline

Looks like i'm gonna have to break down and buy it.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:05 AM
aluminum crusher

ORIGINAL: RevToTheRedline

If I can't run 23/60 gearing I don't see how a ton of people with MLST's are running 23/54, or even 25/50
HI I have been doing some testing with my mini monster baja, the mamba25, and the mamba 6800kv motor. First set of gears that I was running was 14T pinion & 54T spur, this gave great low end drag style take off, wheelie action on demand as long as you have great traction but it did not have great speed on top but it is very fun to drive with that 14T pinion. The motor did not get even warm to the touch. The next set of gears was 23T pinion & 54T spur gear, great wheel spinning take off but no wheelie action, but great top end speed IMO 35-40MPH motor got slightly warm and I do mean slightly warm. the next set of gears was 23T pinion & 50T spur still great take off and I do mean GREAT TAKE OFF FOR SUCH TALLER GEARS. The top speed was AWESOME it gets to top end very fast IMO I say 45MPH easy, motor had got hot but not cooking hot . I can leave my fingers on it after 7 back and forth full hard throttle high speed runs in 250 to 300' for well over a minute with out it burning the skin off my fingers. I played with this set up all day ( until I hit curb and broke left front C hub ) and it's the best one for me I love it , it sounds like an electric jet engine. I have the Losi ball diff but it's tighten on lockdown mode to act as a locked diff ( the solid spool I have on stand by just in case the Losi ball diff goes bad on me). I also have my slipper clutch tighten on lock down...and I tell you this is my first mini and I took the advise from the folks on this forum and the LHS, and Bernie & Tom at castle creations. I have no diff problems of what so ever. I am using the stock battery for now until my pack arrive from max amps it's a 7.4v 2s @ 15c 2000mah rating. I could not find a 2000mah pack at a 20c rating that would fit in the battery tray so I decided to go for the max amps pack. The 15c rating should give me more than enough punch, I THINK the stock lipo pack is rated at 8c. AS far as the speed control settings I have the start up power set to low, timing set to low 10, the punch set at 30%, the brake is set with reverse lock out and at 60% of stopping power. Also my reverse is set to 50% of throttle. I must say I do have the studder or some call it the cogging issue but I do thinks it's do to the the weak stock battery pack not giving it enough octane for that motor. I will find out if that's the issue once my battery from max amps arrive at my door steps...and I will let you guy's know if the studder has gone away ( i guess the studder from a weak battery pack is like bad gasoline in a high performance car engine which will cause some knocking). But I did notice the studder went away some with the taller gear set 23T pinion & 50T spur. IMO I think the mamba 6800 & mamba25 is a great setup for the Mini lst with the choice of the the 2 stock spur gears ( I'am not saying it's the BEST MOTOR FOR THE MINI LST) BUT IF YOU DO BUY IT, IT'S A GREAT SETUP WITH THE STOCK SPUR GEARS)[sm=wink_smile.gif] . Try it you will be happy
Old 03-14-2008, 06:28 AM
brainleak
My Feedback: (1)

What kind of batteries are you running Stock? or IB or Elites? If they are name brand you'll be ok but if they are stock or smc or and off brand. the problem maybe with your batts. The firmware could also very well be the problem.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:07 AM
jmcvicker

They have a cogging fix in firmware 1.16 or 1.17 - their latest. You'd be upgrading to 1.17 if using the latest 3.04 of castle link software.

http://www.castlecreations.com/downloads/frh-mamba.html
Old 03-14-2008, 07:23 AM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: brainleak

What kind of batteries are you running Stock? or IB or Elites? If they are name brand you'll be ok but if they are stock or smc or and off brand. the problem maybe with your batts. The firmware could also very well be the problem.
SMC uses IB cells? Did you mean something else?
Old 03-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Big Green Machine

ORIGINAL: aluminum crusher

ORIGINAL: RevToTheRedline

HI I have been doing some testing with my mini monster baja, the mamba25, and the mamba 6800kv motor. First set of gears that I was running was 14T pinion & 54T spur, this gave great low end drag style take off, wheelie action on demand as long as you have great traction but it did not have great speed on top but it is very fun to drive with that 14T pinion. The motor did not get even warm to the touch. The next set of gears was 23T pinion & 54T spur gear, great wheel spinning take off but no wheelie action, but great top end speed IMO 35-40MPH motor got slightly warm and I do mean slightly warm. the next set of gears was 23T pinion & 50T spur still great take off and I do mean GREAT TAKE OFF FOR SUCH TALLER GEARS. The top speed was AWESOME it gets to top end very fast IMO I say 45MPH easy, motor had got hot but not cooking hot . I can leave my fingers on it after 7 back and forth full hard throttle high speed runs in 250 to 300' for well over a minute with out it burning the skin off my fingers. I played with this set up all day ( until I hit curb and broke left front C hub ) and it's the best one for me I love it , it sounds like an electric jet engine. I have the Losi ball diff but it's tighten on lockdown mode to act as a locked diff ( the solid spool I have on stand by just in case the Losi ball diff goes bad on me). I also have my slipper clutch tighten on lock down...and I tell you this is my first mini and I took the advise from the folks on this forum and the LHS, and Bernie & Tom at castle creations. I have no diff problems of what so ever. I am using the stock battery for now until my pack arrive from max amps it's a 7.4v 2s @ 15c 2000mah rating. I could not find a 2000mah pack at a 20c rating that would fit in the battery tray so I decided to go for the max amps pack. The 15c rating should give me more than enough punch, I THINK the stock lipo pack is rated at 8c. AS far as the speed control settings I have the start up power set to low, timing set to low 10, the punch set at 30%, the brake is set with reverse lock out and at 60% of stopping power. Also my reverse is set to 50% of throttle. I must say I do have the studder or some call it the cogging issue but I do thinks it's do to the the weak stock battery pack not giving it enough octane for that motor. I will find out if that's the issue once my battery from max amps arrive at my door steps...and I will let you guy's know if the studder has gone away ( i guess the studder from a weak battery pack is like bad gasoline in a high performance car engine which will cause some knocking). But I did notice the studder went away some with the taller gear set 23T pinion & 50T spur. IMO I think the mamba 6800 & mamba25 is a great setup for the Mini lst with the choice of the the 2 stock spur gears ( I'am not saying it's the BEST MOTOR FOR THE MINI LST) BUT IF YOU DO BUY IT, IT'S A GREAT SETUP WITH THE STOCK SPUR GEARS)[sm=wink_smile.gif] . Try it you will be happy

I am glad to see you are truly happy with the set up I recomended to you crusher. I think we all remember when RevtheRedline claimed I was stupid and misleading you and everyone else with bad advice into thinking it went faster than it did, but low and behold you are claiming the EXACT speeds I was! it's good to see you weren't disapointed. I am glad everything is working out for you using the exact set up I have and that you are happy
Old 03-14-2008, 11:01 AM
aluminum crusher

ORIGINAL: brainleak

I'am using for now the stock lipo battery pack that came with the Mini Monster Baja it's a 7.4v 1000mah 2s pack. I already have the updated firmware 1.17 & software 3.04. AlSO I FORGOT TO MENTION that if you lock up your center diff as I have done you will lose sharp steering. BUT TO GAIN IT BACK just remove the drag link bar that connects the 2 servo horns together make sure the servo's stay in it's center position by doing one side at a time, and tighten the servo saver horn screw all the way down... it will not hurt anything and the servo saver will work even SO MUCH BETTER for each wheel. IF the servo saver horn screw is to lose it will fall off. I broke one servo before I took off the drag link by running into the doorway in my computer room (it was the right front wheel). Now after the removal of the drag link, now when I run into the door ways the servo saver gives much, much easier with out any damage to the servo or servo's. TRY IT IF YOU LIKE but it is working for me...I hit a curb from a full speed run the servo saver did it's job and the only thing that I broke was one C-hub. This may have my truck down for awhile do to 2 of the LHS have not it in stock??? what gives they sell a lot of mini lst oh well time for mail order to come to the rescue. THE END
Old 03-14-2008, 11:12 AM
aluminum crusher

Well not to step on any toes, but I do have some cogging sometime as I mention above. But I do thinks it's from the stock lipo battery pack it's to weak in amp power, time will tell once my max amp lipo pack arrive's. And yes thanks for your back and forth advice it really gave me the GET GO to purchase the mini monster baja in the first place...2 THUMBS UP TO YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE FOR THEIR HELP[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]. Thanks
Old 03-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Big Green Machine

Even when I use the stock 6 cell nimh and haven't ever had it cog, even when the battery is nearly dead, My gearing is pretty conservative. Anyway, cheers.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:28 AM
aluminum crusher

ORIGINAL: Big Green Machine

Even when I use the stock 6 cell nimh and haven't ever had it cog, even when the battery is nearly dead, My gearing is pretty conservative. Anyway, cheers.
Yeah someothers are not having cogging issues but I hope it's just the stock battery pack, but after yesterday I do think it's the pack because the charger did not wanna recognise it. I had to put it back on the stock wall charger just to bring it back to life, I have the mrc brain 977. And I have the esc settings set to AUTO LIPO do you think i should set it to 6v cut off?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:41 AM
t9dragon

Yeah someothers are not having cogging issues but I hope it's just the stock battery pack, but after yesterday I do think it's the pack because the charger did not wanna recognise it. I had to put it back on the stock wall charger just to bring it back to life, I have the mrc brain 977. And I have the esc settings set to AUTO LIPO do you think i should set it to 6v cut off?
How many charges do you have thru the Lipo? Have you ever balanced it? If I were you I would get a better Lipo charger then the 977.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:50 AM
aluminum crusher

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

How many charges do you have thru the Lipo? Have you ever balanced it? If I were you I would get a better Lipo charger then the 977.
I have a lot of charges thru it and I never balanced it, don't have a balancer yet. I'm thinking about buying another charger, I need one that can do 2 packs at the same time nicad, ni-mh and lipo's with a built in cell balancer. What's a good one?
Old 03-14-2008, 12:45 PM
WisPete
My Feedback: (5)

Well, the dual charging capabilities with those features is really expensive, but if that's what you want, check out the Hyperion EOS0610i DUO Charger AC/DC W/Balancer ($269.95). A great charger, minus the dual charging feature is the Hyperion EOS0606i Charger AC/DC W/Balancer, and cheapbatterypacks.com is selling it for $139.95.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:51 PM
aluminum crusher

ORIGINAL: WisPete

Well, the dual charging capabilities with those features is really expensive, but if that's what you want, check out the Hyperion EOS0610i DUO Charger AC/DC W/Balancer ($269.95). A great charger, minus the dual charging feature is the Hyperion EOS0606i Charger AC/DC W/Balancer, and cheapbatterypacks.com is selling it for $139.95.
OK sweet that's what I want in a ac/dc charger but at 269.95 GEEEeeez[&:] for a charger. I'm no racer just an GHETTOFIED BASHER DO they have something like it in the lowbudget (dynamite version...LOL)
Old 03-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Mini_Me

Another thing you guys might do and I know it's a pain, but hardwire the esc to the brushless motor.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:08 PM
brainleak
My Feedback: (1)

No balancer but one of the best on the market if you ask me.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMAJ0&P=ML

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.