Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Losi Mini Monster Baja. Any Good???????

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 11:27 PM
ryan the pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi Mini Monster Baja. Any Good???????

i was thinking of getting a Losi mini monster baja. i was wondering if it is good or not,any other 1/18 scale trucks like it, and the pros and cons. please reply. thanks:Ryan
Old 04-24-2008, 04:24 AM
TheTruckingGuru

Default RE: Losi Mini Monster Baja. Any Good???????

It looks cool. I would try to find reviews on it. I have MLST2 that is brushless. It has some weak spots. But I may have read a review in some magazine that the Mini Monster Baja was really an improved MLST2. So maybe you can call it a MLST3.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:19 AM
KRO

The only difference between the BAJA and MLST2 is wheels , body , and battery . They both have exactly the same chassis and driveline .

I have a MLST2 and I am loving it ! Not as fast as my other minis but it off roads like a big LST2 .
Old 04-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

I have the MM Baja and could not be happier with it. There is not alot said about this truck because the owners are too busy enjoying it to write a review... Just as with the MLST2, people will mention the bad before the good, and the MM Baja has nothing bad to mention.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:29 PM
salvemaker

I've not had very good luck with my MMB. First I have really liked the way it runs, and the radio system. Lipo that came with car lasted one run. Losi sent me another one, no questions ask. It lasted 2 runs. Losi would not go for a 3rd Lipo. A friend of mine thats been flying planes for 20 yrs took them apart. Both had come disconected inside the packs. About the 5th battery pack run, the steering servo on one side failed. I knew these were noted by some as a weak point of the car, but hoped for 4 or 5 months, not one. There are fixes for these, but they will set ya back about another $100 or so. One person had gone through 4 or 5 of the regular Losi servos before going to metal gear ones. I am 61 yrs old, and this is my first car. I have been very careful with it. Also, I found out after I got the car, that it does not have a speed controler that will cut the power off before you ruin the lipo. I had thought this was what I had done, until my friend took them apart. Again, I like the way the car handles and runs, so I am in the process now of replacing the servos. Would I get another one or a MLST2, nope. For the same money or less, I would go on up to a 1/10 ST. Good luck if you go with it, maybe I just got a lemon losi...gn
Salvemaker
Old 05-12-2008, 11:52 AM
bigden25

I just got a new MMB yesterday. I've gone through about 3 or 4 charges on the LiPo and I've not had a problem. This is my first electric truck, I've only done 1/8 nitro, but I'm really enjoying the how easy it is run one of these. I built a little ramp in the living room and have been jumping until the batteries go dead. This little truck kicks butt!
Old 05-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Acs_guitars

ORIGINAL: salvemaker

I've not had very good luck with my MMB. First I have really liked the way it runs, and the radio system. Lipo that came with car lasted one run. Losi sent me another one, no questions ask. It lasted 2 runs. Losi would not go for a 3rd Lipo. A friend of mine thats been flying planes for 20 yrs took them apart. Both had come disconected inside the packs. About the 5th battery pack run, the steering servo on one side failed. I knew these were noted by some as a weak point of the car, but hoped for 4 or 5 months, not one. There are fixes for these, but they will set ya back about another $100 or so. One person had gone through 4 or 5 of the regular Losi servos before going to metal gear ones. I am 61 yrs old, and this is my first car. I have been very careful with it. Also, I found out after I got the car, that it does not have a speed controler that will cut the power off before you ruin the lipo. I had thought this was what I had done, until my friend took them apart. Again, I like the way the car handles and runs, so I am in the process now of replacing the servos. Would I get another one or a MLST2, nope. For the same money or less, I would go on up to a 1/10 ST. Good luck if you go with it, maybe I just got a lemon losi...gn
Salvemaker

I have not had any issues with the battery or the servos in atleast 2 dozen packs worth of bashing. I have now upgraded to a BL stsyem and the pack is holding up fine along side my 3s packs. The servos still center well and are as strong as ever, though I am planning to mod for a standard size servo. You must have gotten a lemon, every company has one escape quality checks every now and then.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:50 PM
ryan the pro

If I were to get a MMB or MLST2 , I would prefer to have to do little , or no maintance . Also I would like to put in little to no money into the truck to run good. I know that the RC18MT will need a gear cover for the pinion. What else should I buy and remember I'm trying to keep the costs as low as possible. Also I want to know a quick fix the the steering problem. I have checked online but still can't decide.Just one more thing I would like to know the what I would need to buy to make the MMB or MLST2 run smooth and problem free
Old 05-12-2008, 06:45 PM
bigden25

After a few days of running my MMB I've only got a one real issues that I may be willing to spend money on to get fixed. I only have one battery. When that battery dies after 15 min or so, the fun is over for about 1.5 hours. I'll buy another battery soon. I’m thinking of getting the dynamite 1900mAh 7.4V LiPo. What do you guys think?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Acs_guitars

The MMB and MLST2 need NO upgrades out of the box and will run great. I upgraded mine to BL so I could reliably run 3S packs that I already have for my airplanes. Other upgrades were to allow the drive train to handle the BL power reliably. I upgrade because I want too... Not because the truck NEEDS it.

A 1900 pack will double your run time and be well worth the investment. Look at All-Battery.com, I have bought a lot of packs from these guys and have gotten great batteries for low prices... Quick shipping too. I am not sure of the price on the dynamite pack, but more than likely All-Battery will be cheaper. Just make sure the pack dimensions are the right size to fit your truck.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:15 PM
isdedina

What is the maximum size of battery pack in MMB? I would like to order new battery pack with higher capacity togeher with new MMB. I did not find the size of batery pack anywhere... Thanks.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:39 PM
dacaur

Without mods the biggest you can go is probably losi's 1650Mah pack they sell as an upgrade... I have a 2000mah 2 cell pack I'm going to use, but I will have to do some cutting to get it to work... (its the same dimensions as a mini quake pack, since i originally got it for my mini quake) basically I'm going to cut the plastic on both sides of the battery tray, on the chassis side and the radio tray side... then ui'll stick some Velcro to the chassis, both sides of the battery, and the bottom of the radio tray...
Old 05-20-2008, 06:06 PM
paname_09

[link=http://cgi.ebay.fr/RC-F3A-3D-avion-lipo-batterie-7-4v-1800mah-10C-accu-3E_W0QQitemZ370052475387QQihZ024QQcategoryZ142756Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]This model[/link] works very well in the Mini Monster Baja, simply change the power connection.

There I made a small adapter
Old 05-26-2008, 10:19 AM
isdedina

Very nice mod. What engine and gearings do you use in your MMB?
Old 05-27-2008, 08:55 AM
paname_09

I use the XCELORIN 6000Kv, and honestly is not
terrible at all, I'm going to spend a 2 engines brushed more
powerful, disgusted with the quality of ESC Xcelorin.