Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Need Help Getting into Racing

Old 09-24-2008, 10:28 PM
beaglegod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Getting into Racing

An Rc shop near me rescently opened and they will be racing indoor on carpet, its a relatively small oval. From what I can tell they will be racing 1/14, 1/18 and 1/36 classes. Also I believe brushless motors are allowed.

Anyway I was thinking to try recing the 1/18 class but Im inexperienced with setting up cars for racing, fine tuning suspensions etc.

Looking over the forums I see alot of guys like the xray models, the novak mongoose brushless system. I also read an rc article where an AE RC18R was modified with a reedy stump puller and quantum 2 micro esc.

Any suggestions on what would be user friendly for someone just getting his feet wet in the mini racing scene would really, REALLY, be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2008, 11:47 PM
calvino

Default RE: Need Help Getting into Racing

if your NEW to the racing scene, get into a "stock class" if they hold one, its cheap, best for beginners, its slower.... once ou "master" that move the upper levels, that way your not "boging down" all the other guys, here's the deal, since its an oval, you can setup your car with camber (wheel angle relative to the ground, either the tire is pulling in or out from the chasis) and toe (front tire angle relative to the chasis), so i would do that, also you can set one side of the suspension to "lean" to one side more than the other, down the straight the car will need to be "corected" BUT on the turns, the car will have a much easier time getting around, another "trick" to fast lap times is to "lock" the front differential with super glue (un-screw it some, put a libeal amount of super glue, or jb weld on the diff "balls" and tighten down, make shure not to get ANY glue in the gear "teeth"), hope i haven't lost you yet, if i have, sorry, it is alot, as time progresses you can maybe get upgrades to this car, or sell it, keep the equpment..... [8D]
Old 09-25-2008, 02:38 AM
beaglegod

Would the rc18b pro team be a good platform with say a reedy stump puller motor 19t, and the quantum 2 micro esc. Maybe with a 1600 mah 6 cell?
Old 09-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Derigor

I'm biased since my favorite car is the old RC10... First new car I bought in years after getting back into the hobby is a rc18r. I kinda dig the more realistic bodies. Tons of fun with that car, man it handles good. I'm keeping mine stock for the stock classes and thinking of picking up the rc18r factory team kit after I finish restoring my RC10 back to it's former glory. Gotta say, I love the RC18R, much more than my micro rs4.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:14 PM
beaglegod

thinking of picking up the rc18r factory team kit

are these out yet or soon to be? Id definitely get one in a kit form.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:41 PM
calvino

i haven't heard anything about it, but you could get an 18T, and replace the:
shell
dogbones
a-arms
turnbuckles
shell
body mounts
tires
new "front" rear shocks
do that and you have an 18R FT, sell off the other stuff
Old 09-26-2008, 09:58 PM
chewyjr13
My Feedback: (1)

get an 18r than exotek conversion for the chassis its a full carbon fibre race chassis. than if running tock keep stock electronic or go for a 13.5 mongoose. Run some 1500 elites made my cheapbatterypacks.com theyre 26 bucks each and your good to go. A set of foams a nice radio a custom painted body adn youll be racing.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:25 AM
beaglegod

Is atomic hobbies the only place to purchase the exotek conversion kit?
Seems they are out of stock at the moment but that sounds like a nice project to work on.

I think I want to stay witha descent brushed motor for the time being.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:07 PM
calvino

The Toyz i also believe sells the convesion kit