Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Help Me Pick

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:15 PM
rschoi_75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help Me Pick

No one has mentioned this yet, but my vote would be for an Xray M18T or MT.

I've owned every car/truck listed here and my favorites by far are Xray mini's. They are just a class above everyone else imo. Parts fit is second to none, no steering slop to speak of, very light and agile, and super strong diffs.

My second choice would be a Vendetta (buggy or st depending on your needs). They are really great platforms, steering is as good as an xray, but heavier and less agile. I really like dettas since you can fit some really 28mm powerful motors in there (where as the other minis would be off balance or over weighted with such a heavy motor).
Old 11-26-2008, 05:59 PM
JatoGuy

I mentioned the x-rays in my first post. Never ran one but hear they are the real deal. For the OP ill reiterate what I originally said. If you want something to take out of the box and beat around the house/driveway (with the option of one day racing) go 18 series.

DettaDude - you have to agree that the vendetta is disappointing from the box. Yes its a good platform but if someone has no intention of mod-ing it and buying new electronics (batt,esc,mainly), its a bad start. Can it be a contender? Yes but it takes the price of the car over again to get it there.

Everything has its + and - , as does the 18. But their pros IMO far outweigh the -'s.... Unless of course you are making a full blown race car.

Heres a link to one of my earlier posts. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8021094/anchors_8021094/mpage_1/key_driveway%252Ctrack/anchor/tm.htm#8021094]My Track[/link]
The stock 18's on this track get 20+ minutes of runtime. Stock detta about 4 minutes. My brushless 18b with cheap DTX 1500 gets 30 minutes.

Buddies Ammo brushless Detta gets about 15 . Dont get me wrong its a blast to drive when its not breaking outdrives (he refuses to drop another $40-60 for the steel ones). But since day one he has been disappointed with it, and its something that is echoed throughout all Vendettas (Kind of like the steering slop and spur gear problem with the 18's)
Old 11-26-2008, 07:00 PM
DettaDude
Banned

ORIGINAL: JatoGuy

I mentioned the x-rays in my first post. Never ran one but hear they are the real deal. For the OP ill reiterate what I originally said. If you want something to take out of the box and beat around the house/driveway (with the option of one day racing) go 18 series.

DettaDude - you have to agree that the vendetta is disappointing from the box. Yes its a good platform but if someone has no intention of mod-ing it and buying new electronics (batt,esc,mainly), its a bad start. Can it be a contender? Yes but it takes the price of the car over again to get it there.

Everything has its + and - , as does the 18. But their pros IMO far outweigh the -'s.... Unless of course you are making a full blown race car.

Heres a link to one of my earlier posts. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8021094/anchors_8021094/mpage_1/key_driveway%252Ctrack/anchor/tm.htm#8021094]My Track[/link]
The stock 18's on this track get 20+ minutes of runtime. Stock detta about 4 minutes. My brushless 18b with cheap DTX 1500 gets 30 minutes.

Buddies Ammo brushless Detta gets about 15 . Dont get me wrong its a blast to drive when its not breaking outdrives (he refuses to drop another $40-60 for the steel ones). But since day one he has been disappointed with it, and its something that is echoed throughout all Vendettas (Kind of like the steering slop and spur gear problem with the 18's)

You gotta be kidding? Our races are 8-10 minutes long on a real track and I've never been close to dumping, hell I've run practice and the first quali on the same pack before. And we haven't had a 18T podium at any of the club races in almost 2 years despite them making up half the field because they're not nearly as stable a platform.

But I don't know what your point is, because the RC18 series come with plastic dogbones and outdrives just like the Dettas. At least the Detta don't ever have all the steering slop problems, and also come with a full-sized servo that WORKS, nor does it have the open gearing issue either. But even their FT version has fixes needed to make it truely worthy. But that's my point, everything does come with "needs" - short of dropping the appreciable extra coin on a M18T, and then you still have the problem of locating replacement parts. Considering all, the Dettas are a steal.

I don't know about you, but all I summise is that your buddy's is a pos he doesn't take care of and runs crappy batteries charged with a overnight wallcharger ..... or something.

EDIT - that's not a "Track" it's just a collection of basher ramps. No offense, nothing against bashing asd bashers, but it's not a track or racing.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:05 PM
JatoGuy

Did you even read my post ? Umm yes obviously it is not a "real track". This is my local [link=http://www.familyhobbiesraceway.com/]"real track"[/link] that runs 18/th scale. And yes I believe the single lap record is from a heavily modded Vendetta. I suggest you go back and read the part where I said the Vendetta is a good platform, but if your looking to take something out of the box and beat around its sub - par. It will cost some cash to get it consistent drivable state. As for the rc18 using plastic dog bones and outdrives. Yea they don't break every single time the car falls over. This was never a which is a better racer etc. So I don't even know why your bringing that up. Chill out on your brand loyalty and provide useful information instead of biased comments.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Mr. Mugen

Well since you live int he US I would have to go with the RC18 series car. They are tough as nails stock. For the money they are the best IMO. 3 of us got them at the same time and beat the snot out of them. I think the other 2 guys have bought shocks and steering links....thats it. I replaced a stock turnbuckle and it took jumping to the ceiling and a dead fall to break it. Dollar for dollar if your just going to mess around with your pals..the rc18 IMO is the best. Fast little cars too! Handling is great if your not after a national championship. Of course there are better cars out there for racing....thats no secret. Some think you have to build a balls to the walls racer to have any fun. Not in my eyes you don't. If your having fun then it is the right car.

Kevin
Old 11-26-2008, 09:11 PM
DettaDude
Banned

I think you need to get some experience with both vehicles to suggest any of the things you're saying, because they're just not true. The only reason I mentioned racing was that you brought it into the discussion by showing off your track and comparing the comparative runtimes of the vehicles.
Both cars need the same parts you mentioned, as both come with plastic that's known to break easily, but instead made it sound like it was a vendetta-only issue. Both trucks, using comparable FDR gearing and batteries, are going to have comparable run times.
I was simply pointing out your own brand loyalty and lack of experience with both platforms, I do personally have both and have raced both, that's making you bring up things that are not true and ridiculous comparisons and biased opinions based on speculation and not actual fact or personal experience.

I never said one vehicle was better than the other, and there's nothing wrong with having a favorite, but there is something wrong with bringing up things that aren't based on reality or personal experience.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:51 AM
JatoGuy

You truly live in a bubble and must have problems seeing outside of it. Do you not read ? "using comparable... batteries". Did I ever say anything about using comparable batteries. No. I focused on a box stock Vendetta and compared it with a box stock RC18.

I said that the Dettas issues lie in the factory electronics and some chassis pieces. I.E The factory battery - lasts about 5 minutes with a strong tail wind. The speed control that is annoying and needs to be programmed every time on startup.. The fact that many peoples Vendettas go faster in reverse than in forward. And i wont even go into the outdrives because if you don't "crash" they wont break. But hey if you do... Get ready to use that 1 year replacement warranty a lot. Can these problems be alleviated ? Yes but it requires upgrading.

I am giving advice to someone who wants to take the thing out of the box and use it as is ! Can you not see the many times I said the Vendetta is a good racer ! I also included the 18's shortcomings. Amazing eh?

Can't wait for the insightful reply
Old 11-27-2008, 11:09 AM
DettaDude
Banned

No bubble here, just like to base my comparisons on reality instead of wild speculation and inuendo.

So you compared a box stock Vendetta ST to a box stock RC18T, so let's compare: DTX comes stock with a 800mAh battery while the AE comes with an 1100 (a whopping 25% increase that can only result in a 25% increase in runtime and NOT a 400%, but the only factory option batteries for the AE start at 40 bucks a pack, while the DTX offers 1200 and 1400 packs for less than 30), neither platform is known for it's outstanding basic electronics (just like with ANY RTR, they're all crap), no such a thing as ANY car that goes faster in reverse than forward except by operator error (total BS), both vehicles come box stock with plastic outdrives and dogbones (no benefit either way, claiming otherwise is BS), seems in the greater scheme of bashing and crashing a 1-years parts replacement warranty isn't a bad idea (should at the very least keep someone in spare parts)............ every RTR out there NEEDS upgrading, not a bad thing, but surely nothing offered in the box by Associated or anyone else.

If you were actually giving good advice you would say that the vehicles "out of the box" were quite comperable in performance as well as the potential need for upgrading. All I saw was an unadulterated bash-fest at the Vendetta's expense while boasting totally out of perspective the advantages of the 18T which there really are none and not a single "shortfall".

Old 11-27-2008, 01:27 PM
rschoi_75

Honestly, I have to agree with both of you guys. Aside from all the mud slinging, both of you guys have hit on some valid points for both the rc18 and vendetta (even if you guys don't want to acknowledge the other's experience).

The rc18 is tough as nails, tons of upgrades, and with a little work on the steering, it can be a super fun r/c truck. I actually like the stock electronics over most any RTR model. AE actually uses a decent Thunder Tiger radio and rx which I can tell you from personal experience is worlds better than the vendetta's. I actually still keep a few stock radios around to let my friends use them. They are good quality, but I won't be mad if my friend breaks it. The batteries do actually give you almost 2x the runtime vs the stock 650mah batts of the vendetta st. The major downside of the rc18t is that the steering will never be as good as a vendetta unless you get the exotek chassis (which is big bucks for such a small car). It can be made into a reliable basher for less money than the vendetta, but will never achieve the level of performance that you can get out of a vendetta (when both are modded of course).

The Vendetta (imo) is a "cheaper" quality truck out of the box (BOX STOCK), but can be taken to a higher level of performance after upgrades are factored in. I personally won't buy the DTX RTR models. I only buy the Anderson kits from Taiwan so that I don't have to buy the crappy electronics that come with the duratrax version. I will be the first to admit that the stock electronics SUCK!!!!! They are simply useless imo. The stock universals and outdrive are also weak. But those are the only real weak points in a detta. Once proper electronics, cvd's, and balls diffs (or just metal outdrives) are installed, you will have a top class mini! A properly set up vendetta will just about outperform any mini on the market (except for an m18t pro! ).

I hope I haven't confused things even more for the guys trying to get some useful info out of this thread. Hopefully this will give you a clearer understanding of the pros and cons of each when "BOX STOCK".
Old 11-27-2008, 01:57 PM
micro guy

Ya i just got my mini lst2 for my b-day about 1 month ago. I have to replace both of my steering servos[]. I also had to replace the differential. But don't worry about the differential. Its the steering servos. I wish they would only have one steering servo, but it be bigger and better. If you get the losi get it from horizonhobby. They are the best for telling you whats wrong with it if you need some help. Other then the steering servo its a good truck. The reason mine broke is because i bash it WAY to hard. You can bash it really hard and it will be fine, just don't be like me a have a little bit too much fun with it.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:28 PM
JatoGuy

ORIGINAL: rschoi_75

Honestly, I have to agree with both of you guys. Aside from all the mud slinging, both of you guys have hit on some valid points for both the rc18 and vendetta (even if you guys don't want to acknowledge the other's experience).

The rc18 is tough as nails, tons of upgrades, and with a little work on the steering, it can be a super fun r/c truck. I actually like the stock electronics over most any RTR model. AE actually uses a decent Thunder Tiger radio and rx which I can tell you from personal experience is worlds better than the vendetta's. I actually still keep a few stock radios around to let my friends use them. They are good quality, but I won't be mad if my friend breaks it. The batteries do actually give you almost 2x the runtime vs the stock 650mah batts of the vendetta st. The major downside of the rc18t is that the steering will never be as good as a vendetta unless you get the exotek chassis (which is big bucks for such a small car). It can be made into a reliable basher for less money than the vendetta, but will never achieve the level of performance that you can get out of a vendetta (when both are modded of course).

The Vendetta (imo) is a "cheaper" quality truck out of the box (BOX STOCK), but can be taken to a higher level of performance after upgrades are factored in. I personally won't buy the DTX RTR models. I only buy the Anderson kits from Taiwan so that I don't have to buy the crappy electronics that come with the duratrax version. I will be the first to admit that the stock electronics SUCK!!!!! They are simply useless imo. The stock universals and outdrive are also weak. But those are the only real weak points in a detta. Once proper electronics, cvd's, and balls diffs (or just metal outdrives) are installed, you will have a top class mini! A properly set up vendetta will just about outperform any mini on the market (except for an m18t pro! ).

I hope I haven't confused things even more for the guys trying to get some useful info out of this thread. Hopefully this will give you a clearer understanding of the pros and cons of each when "BOX STOCK".

To be honest I would have to agree with you. And I have mentioned that the Detta is a great platform many times (minus the same list of issues you described). Dettadude doesnt read and I listed the major shortcomings of the 18's in one if not my first post.

Detta Dude for the record- Of course I am comparing a higher Mah battery to a lesser one. Its the one that the car comes with ! Why do similarly rated packs last so much longer in the 18? Lighter weight car and seemingly more efficient electronics. The reverse faster than forward problem with the vendetta is well documented. Not the case in every car but apparently someone with so much Vendetta experience would surely have heard of this.

Comparing the prices of different brands of batteries? Has it really come to that. I actually use the DTX batteries for bashing around in my 18 and my friend uses them in his detta. And in case the all knowing expert doesnt realize, the 1400 only fit in the 18's while the 1200's fit without modification in the Vendettas. To continue with that the factory 1100 AE pack (mamba 6800) destroys the 1200 DTX- (ammo bl) in runtime w/ similar performance. The 1200s were recently discontinued but they still make the 1400s for the 18's. Also the more expensive AE black reedy pack, in the experience i have had with them, dont outperform the DTX enough to justify the added cost - $10 more.

Edit - I lied I didnt mention the steering slop in my earlier post but did mention the sand. My bad !
Old 11-27-2008, 10:43 PM
DettaDude
Banned

ORIGINAL: JatoGuy
To be honest I would have to agree with you. And I have mentioned that the Detta is a great platform many times (minus the same list of issues you described). Dettadude doesnt read and I listed the major shortcomings of the 18's in one if not my first post.
NO, what you did was all but mask any of the 18's shortcomings while libelously attacking the Detta for the exact same issues the 18's have.

Detta Dude for the record- Of course I am comparing a higher Mah battery to a lesser one. Its the one that the car comes with ! Why do similarly rated packs last so much longer in the 18? Lighter weight car and seemingly more efficient electronics. The reverse faster than forward problem with the vendetta is well documented. Not the case in every car but apparently someone with so much Vendetta experience would surely have heard of this.
Then it's not an accurate comparison, especially if YOU are using aftermarket packs as you suggest below. Not a fair comparison, or righteous one either.
The "reverse faster" crap is stuff you're making up, and hasn't been well documented at all. Other than it being impossible to acheive with a brushed electric motor, I've done extenseive searches on this forum and others and your single reference was the only one I came across.

Comparing the prices of different brands of batteries? Has it really come to that. I actually use the DTX batteries for bashing around in my 18 and my friend uses them in his detta. And in case the all knowing expert doesnt realize, the 1400 only fit in the 18's while the 1200's fit without modification in the Vendettas. To continue with that the factory 1100 AE pack (mamba 6800) destroys the 1200 DTX- (ammo bl) in runtime w/ similar performance. The 1200s were recently discontinued but they still make the 1400s for the 18's. Also the more expensive AE black reedy pack, in the experience i have had with them, dont outperform the DTX enough to justify the added cost - $10 more.
You were the one that stepped on the slippery slope of unrational comparisons; funny how you don't like the turnaround.
What you also didn't mention, and likely overlooked because of your lack of personal experience, is that the Detta ST's Vr3 motor easily and impressively outperforms that stock 18T motor (the 1200s have NOT been discontinued. )
To continue along that line, and as I suugested initially, instead of bashing a vehicle in which you have no personal experience with and know little about it might be better if you go back to your bashing where your brand-boasting and wild ideas might matter to your buddies.

The fact of the matter is that I really don't care what your vehicle of preference is any more than I care what anybody else buys.
What I do care is that you make up incorrect information that could improperly influence a new guy just trying to understand the basics of different makes out there, and then when he finds out you're feeding him a pileOS he becomes disenchanted with the hobby because of all the biased BS he heard on the Internet.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:02 PM
FloridaDude

Just drop it DettaDude you dont have to be right all the time. The RC18 line is better and faster and we all know it
Old 11-27-2008, 11:09 PM
DettaDude
Banned

You don't even know what gearing to run lol
Old 11-27-2008, 11:29 PM
FloridaDude

u know you just keep being more annoying every day. Telling people they dont know anything is rude and not called for. and What do u mean i dont know how to gear it.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:45 PM
DettaDude
Banned

You've been annoying since your first day, telling people stuff you make up off the top of your head that's inaccurate.
I've never told anyone "they don't know anything" and instead attempted to correct the rumors they've heard and are retelling to keep more myths from premeating this hobby.
Telling people in another thread inaccurate gearing confuses the issue. If you don't know, perhaps it better if you say nothing at all.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:50 PM
FloridaDude

i know more than u i dont pull stuff of the top of my head and iv never told anyone something inaccurate. and u have been annoying since iv joined
Old 11-27-2008, 11:53 PM
DettaDude
Banned

ORIGINAL: FloridaDude

i know more than u i dont pull stuff of the top of my head and iv never told anyone something inaccurate.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:03 AM
jsmrc

hmm... it seems i forgot what this thread was about when i got to the bottom. was it something about re-gearing a battery pack?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:05 AM
jsmrc

ORIGINAL: FloridaDude in response to detta dude

and u have been annoying since iv joined
AMEN!
Old 11-28-2008, 12:08 AM
KRO

The Vendetta and RC18 both blow , everybody knows the MLST2 rules all !
Old 11-28-2008, 12:50 AM
FloridaDude

LOL
Old 11-28-2008, 12:52 AM
dacaur

Old 11-28-2008, 01:19 AM
micro guy

The vendetta is not bad. But out of the box it is. I have my vendetta buggy hoped up to the max. The batteries i have are a piece of crap though. So i tried my mini lst2 lipo battery and it worked great. So if you want a detta, be prepared to spend a little extra $$ on it.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:59 AM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

i have a vendetta too.O>>M<>>>G>>> i am SO close to walking outside and lighting this stupid car on fire in my front yard!my esc went in 3 days, then a week later my radio went, and then a few weeks later my motorwent.i have spent so much on broken parts i can't even tell you.i broke 6 dogbones in 4 days, cracked the cups on the diff they connect to, and had to go to metal, snapped an a-arm and a pin an dsome other stuff in the front, chewed up 2 diff gears in 3 days, and now chewedanother one and my rear diff is screwed up.i hate this car.as soon as i fix everything i'm selling it.just thought i'd chime inonmy experiance with the car.SHOULD'VE BOUGHT A LOSI!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.