Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

Experienced opinion needed: Mini LST2 vs. RC18MT

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Experienced opinion needed: Mini LST2 vs. RC18MT

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 02:27 AM
Xb9rumble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experienced opinion needed: Mini LST2 vs. RC18MT

I would like to add another 1/18th to my arsonal and I think I have narrowed it down to the Losi Mini LST2 and the Associated RC18MT. I am looking for reliable, durable and fast out of the box but with a good aftermarket for replacement and performance. I would probably do brushless lipo in the future so I need something with a drivetrain to support it. Any opinions, recommendations and experience would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:13 PM
cedarcove

Default RE: Experienced opinion needed: Mini LST2 vs. RC18MT

Tough question. Both are nice 1/18th scale trucks.

If you want a burly truck that will handle everything you throw at it terrainwise, get the MLST2. It is a blast to drive. Expect some downtime fixing servos and gears and waiting for batteries to charge as runtimes are low.

If you want a light nimble truck that will handle smooth surfaces and is cheap and easy to fix, as well as give you longer runtimes (and more spped out of the box) get the RC18MT. FYI, get a set of RC18T tires for it if you run on dirt.

Both have their pros and cons.........

I am currently migrating away from running my MLST's as much and am running the RC18's (B's, T's) now that my track is done. I get longer run times, less breakage and more speed.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:39 PM
MORNINGSTAR

if you want a MONSTER TRuck, id say the LST2

its bigger, has bigger tires, chassie, and stance.

I have an RC18MT, which is really a truggy IMHO.

but the ability to turn it into anything really, and the stated electronic issues w/ the losi, i went with the associated.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Lilredmachine

If you want the RC18MT because it is a monster truck then don't bother. The MLST2 will knock spots off it in terms of the terrain it can handle and the power it gives. The MLST2 isn't fast par se but get them on rough ground and the RC18MT will fall behind.

The RC18MT is faster, lighter, more nimble but these things do not a monster truck make.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:45 PM
DettaDude
Banned

The MLST is a monster truck, in every sense of the word, while the RC18MT is not a monster truck but instead a truck/buggy with larger tires bolted on it.

My advice would be for you to study up on both vehicles and understand the differences, there are plenty of comparison discussions here and elsewhere, and educate yourself on what's available. Then when you have made up YOUR mind, it is going to be your truck, and you have some specific questions to ask come back in and start a new thread.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Xb9rumble

Thanks. Got back from the local Hobby store after looking at the two. The kid behind the counter had a brushless lipo RC18T with MT tires and I will tell you, that made up my mind. The RC18 is for me. Does any one know the true difference between the T and MT? The only thing I could find was the tires size but the kid says the gears might be different.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Derigor

the gearing is different. The MT is geared lower to account for the larger tires.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:55 PM
DettaDude
Banned

ORIGINAL: Xb9rumble

Thanks. Got back from the local Hobby store after looking at the two. The kid behind the counter had a brushless lipo RC18T with MT tires and I will tell you, that made up my mind. The RC18 is for me. Does any one know the true difference between the T and MT? The only thing I could find was the tires size but the kid says the gears might be different.
Only real difference is the wheel/tire combo, and the body.

Here's the AE Factory conversion chart for the RC18 Series
http://aedownloads.com/pdf/convert_ae18.pdf

ORIGINAL: Derigor

the gearing is different. The MT is geared lower to account for the larger tires.

Gearing means little or nothing, as it can be changed - but the reality is that both trucks (along with the buggy) have the option to use either of the factory spur gears (55T or 60T) that come with the kits.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:14 AM
westphill24

What do you mean gearing means nothing?

Either will be good so dont worry about kicking yourself for buying either they can easily be interchanged. The gearing does allow for the bigger tires, but almost everybody changes electronics so your going to have to change your gearing eventually anyway.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:39 AM
Xb9rumble

i do agree that gearing does mean nothing since the cost of a new gear is dollars not tens of dollars. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 01-13-2009, 08:15 AM
westphill24

Your gearing could be the difference between a fun day of bashing and a burnt out motor.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:19 PM
DettaDude
Banned

ORIGINAL: westphill24

Your gearing could be the difference between a fun day of bashing and a burnt out motor.

Never heard of a car or truck that came with gearing intended to burn out a motor.
Proposing that idea is downright silly.

As Xb9rumble said, gearing can be changed as easily as doing it via a $3 pinion - it's not like it's rocket science - and actually part of the RC experience.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Derigor

hence the reason why out of the box the rc18mt is geared lower than the rc18t (even though it includes the other gears for you to put on it).

Guy was asking for out of the box differences.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Xb9rumble

The taller gearing will probably come in handy in the future but I am going to stic with the MT for the tires. The guy I talked to at the Hobby store had his RC18T there and he said he went through the stock set of tires in two packs and the MT tires he has on now are lasting pretty good considering his power output.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Xb9rumble

Any recommendations on a bettery to buy? I have an 1500 mah in my mini-t and I am very pleased with the performance of the battery and the RC18MT only comes with an 1100 mah battery. [sm=50_50.gif]
Old 01-13-2009, 01:46 PM
DettaDude
Banned

ORIGINAL: Derigor
Guy was asking for out of the box differences.
Hence, since the guy that was asking the question understood the concept why are you acting like it's a big deal? [sm=75_75.gif]

Old 01-13-2009, 01:47 PM
DettaDude
Banned

ORIGINAL: Xb9rumble

Any recommendations on a bettery to buy? I have an 1500 mah in my mini-t and I am very pleased with the performance of the battery and the RC18MT only comes with an 1100 mah battery. [sm=50_50.gif]

My guess is if you research the place you got your 1500 for your Mini-T you'll find a source for one for a 18MT.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:56 PM
brainleak
My Feedback: (1)

cheapbatterypacks.com Great batt site.

As for the topic

I own both, or variations of both. A MLST with a ton of money dumped into it, and 18t. Two different beasts. the MT is not going to be able to traverse the same terrain as the Mlst. due to the fact of ground clearance and suspension. But the MT is built a bit better. As far as durability goes in the drivetrain department. The MLST 2 has the new metal diffs out of the box.

Its really dependant on the area's around where you live. Exactly where are you going to run it?
Old 01-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Lilredmachine

ORIGINAL: DettaDude

Never heard of a car or truck that came with gearing intended to burn out a motor.
Cough....

Traxxas. Anything with the Titan 12t in it is generally overgeared from the factory. Don't now why, but they are. Possibly to grab the headline speed claims they make.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:03 PM
DettaDude
Banned

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine
Cough....

Traxxas. Anything with the Titan 12t in it is generally overgeared from the factory. Don't now why, but they are. Possibly to grab the headline speed claims they make.
But of course it is; just as in the same manner most RTRs come with max gearing to get the most out of them out of the box.
At the same time it's not like the factories don't test them first, so it would be my guess that the stock gearing should do just fine - they surely wouldn't want to be routinely replacing poofed motors.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:24 PM
SAVAGEBANE

what is it about gearing that burns out a motor or esc?

my guess that super low gears for torque and big tires heat up the motor more and damage the parts quicker.
in that case is high gearing better for the longevity of motor and esc?
i ask because i have an esc that gets super hot to the touch. it is an lrp super reverse digital paired with an epic intense 10-12 turn motor i dont remember. the battery was a ni-mh 3000. when i do gear low, it is the smallest pinion and largest spur that i have. dont know what i am doing wrong but the 1/10 rustler is slow now.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:34 PM
SuperJETT

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEBANE

my guess that super low gears for torque and big tires heat up the motor more and damage the parts quicker.
i ask because i have an esc that gets super hot to the touch. it is an lrp super reverse digital paired with an epic intense 10-12 turn motor i dont remember. the battery was a ni-mh 3000. when i do gear low, it is the smallest pinion and largest spur that i have. dont know what i am doing wrong but the 1/10 rustler is slow now.
The opposite. When you do more work, you use more power, so going faster is more work and more current, so the motor gets hotter.

Lower turn motors pull more current also, and go faster.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:42 PM
westphill24

I was only stating that it was a difference, not that it would burn out the motor right out the box. If he decided to change wheels/tires to smaller ones than his car would be undergeared and he could go up pinion or down spur. So yes for future reference gearing does matter.

Congrats Detta on complicating another thread that could of been really simple. I thought someone pissed you off last time and you said you where never coming back here?
Old 01-13-2009, 04:05 PM
DettaDude
Banned

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEBANE

You've got it backwards.
And maybe part of your misunderstanding is as a result of running a mod motor, which do get hot no matter what you do (because they're a mod motor).
But the simple premise is that higher ratio gearing (smallest pinion and largest spur) allows the motor to not have to work as hard to get up to speed, while lower ratio gearing (larger pinions and smaller spurs) make the motor work harder and make motors heat up quicker.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:15 PM
DettaDude
Banned

I was only stating that it was a difference, not that it would burn out the motor right out the box. If he decided to change wheels/tires to smaller ones than his car would be undergeared and he could go up pinion or down spur. So yes for future reference gearing does matter.

Congrats Detta on complicating another thread that could of been really simple. I thought someone pissed you off last time and you said you where never coming back here?
Honestly, by twisiting things around and somehow thinking you were oversimplying an issue you've once again added to the general confusion of a very complex topic by clouding the issue for any new guy that may log into the topic. Good job!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.