Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Mini-T/DT Transmission Q?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 02:32 PM
BigTb17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini-T/DT Transmission Q?

I just got a Mini Desert Truck and I have a question about the transmission. It has more drivetrain/gear noise than any other RC I own. In case the first response is what RCs do I own: RC10T4 FT, RC10B3 FT, Tamiya CC-O1, RC18B, Scalpel, Micro RS4, Micro-T, TC3, and now the Mini Desert Truck.

The noise was apparent as soon as I started driving it. After a few minutes of driving it I took it inside and took the transmission apart and checked everything for mesh, damage, smoothness, etc. I was honestly surprised to find grease on the gears. I can't believe how much noise this thing makes. It sounds like there is something out of spec or molded wrong. Nothing is tight, everything spins freely, yes my pinion/spur mesh is good, there is nothing in any of the gears, they are all clean and free of debris.

I'm going to just run it and not worry about it too much. I have a mild brushless motor I am going to install eventually, and I am planning on getting a ball diff (either Losi or MIP). Maybe the diff swap will eliminate the noise. I asked somebody why the transmission made so much noise there response was "It's a Mini-T." So I guess they just have somewhat loud geartrains. Anyone else notice this, or notice that it goes away after a certain upgrade? Anyone know the reason for the noise, maybe the gears are made out of extra hard plastic?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Derigor

Default RE: Mini-T/DT Transmission Q?

That's because you are used to driving AE products and now you are having to deal with Losi junk.

I'm just kidding. but not really.

My mini-baja (after returning the first one because it ran for only 3 feet) is pretty loud too. It still runs well but I guess that's just how they are /shrug. I was going to replace the gearbox with an aluminum one... maybe. still debating on whether or not that is a good idea. Figured the last thing I need is a plastic gearbox getting warn, warping or flexing and messing up the mesh.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:42 PM
rob-s
Banned

most all of the cars you have don't have 3-gear trannies, while the mini-t does. more gears = more noise.
run it a while, let the gearbox get worn in and it'll quiet down. get a good ball differential (mip) and the DD slipper and it will get better yet.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:24 PM
westphill24

I thought it was just mine. I dont think an alum gearbox would help but I wouldn't do it just because theres already enough weight in the back of the losi's. I think my ball diff did quiet it down a bit but I just ignore it now unless it starts clicking/crunching. Then Ill be concerned.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:28 PM
BigTb17

ORIGINAL: rob-s

most all of the cars you have don't have 3-gear trannies, while the mini-t does. more gears = more noise.
run it a while, let the gearbox get worn in and it'll quiet down. get a good ball differential (mip) and the DD slipper and it will get better yet.
If you count the diff gears (since the diff counts as one of the three in the Mini Desert) a couple of my cars actually have a higher number of gears than the Mini Desert truck. Also, both the T4 and B3 have three gear transmissions. I realise that there is a big difference between a 1/10 scale race buggy and a entry level 1/18 scale truck, and I'm not trying to argue, I just don't think the only reason is simply that I'm not used to 3 gear transmissions, or that it simply has way more gears than my other cars. Like I said, everything looks ok and spins free so I'm just going to run it and not worry too much about it. It just surprised me how much louder the drivetrain was in the Mini Desert Truck than any of my other cars.

I recently watched a few races at a local carpet track and when the Mini-Slider class raced I was sure someone was losing a transmission or differential because of the geartrain noise. Now I think it is simply a noisy transmission.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 PM
JPerrone

The first five minutes on my Mini Baja it was quiet; then it got really noisy. I was concerned about this and went through the whole "wat's going on" thing. After awhile I decided, "I'll run it till it breaks."

It took A LONG TIME for this to happen; and when it did, it was because I had the slipper too tight, took a jump and hit the ground at full speed. I don't consider this a problem with the transmission.

It does appear that this is a "genetic defect" with the Losi mini's. I have had to do a number of repairs to my transmissions over the last year, while I have never even looked at the transmission on my Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin or Grasshopper.

I am really conflicted about the mini Baja; I like it when it is running much more than the other cars, but I do fix or play with it more than the others. On the Midnight Pumpkin, the ONLY THING I have ever needed to fix is that stinking front bumper!!! I don't know how many times you can break something and there is still enough of it left to fix!!!

If I had buddies with Mini's, I'd be trying to see who had the noisiest transmission. All the quieter ones would have to buy me a beer. Or two.

Regards
Old 03-10-2009, 03:58 PM
dmerc
My Feedback: (67)

I have had great luck and a major noise reduction IMO by removing the tranny and using a lot of regular lithium grease. The stuff I got cost 2 bucks for a big tube, you can get it at most any hardware store or automotive outlet. It's had about 10 runs since I did it on 2s lipo, 370 frenzy motor, 14T pinion and Losi DD Slipper. It has been running great with a lot less noise. This trick has worked for every R/C I have that does not have sealed diffs or tranny. Good Luck!