Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

noob to brushless

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 04:27 PM
NSminiDT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob to brushless

hey guys, this is my first post here on the forum so thanks.

basically i haven't had an electric truck for about 6 years. about 4 days ago i decided to buy the losi mint desert truck. i love it! the next day i went back to my local hobby store and bought the trinity monster 17t. and its a blast!

now im sucked in and decided i want to go all the way with this one. so im looking at brushless kits but i really dont know anything about them. (so i have a few questions)

1)i was thinking about going with the losi exceleron 9400kv kit and lipo 3s batteries, how long would a battery run for with this kit?
2)if i upgrade to this powerful little motor what else should i upgrade at the same time? (diff., cvd's, pinion, spur)
3)is there better brushless kits i should take a look at?
4)is 9400kv way to much? (i do like going fast!!)

my main focus will be just to have some fun with friend. i will NOT be racing on the track.

ill take any input and recommendations

-TIA, dane
Old 01-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Derigor

Default RE: noob to brushless

I think with a 9400kv kit, you are limited to doing backflips and running in a straight line. Best Idea is to look on youtube at brushless 18th scale vids for an idea of how much insanity a 3s on that motor will be.

I dont have a mini DT, but I think you are going to want to get the losi DD sliper clutch if that isnt stock on that truck... maybe a better ball diff too.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:36 PM
sonicj
My Feedback: (2)

i've smoked 2 xcelorin brushless esc's so far. the motor quality seems good, the esc's on the other hand... im not saying it couldn't have been my fault. i definately could have done something wrong, but i think the concensus on the 1/18th esc's is that they're $h!te! if santa didn't bring me mine, i would have gotten the mamba rig. just my $0.02
Old 01-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Derigor

I am biased towards Novak, so dont ask my opinion. Tekin, Novak or bust.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:53 PM
NSminiDT

thanks guys keep em coming im doing research as we speak
Old 01-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Wild YFZ 450

ORIGINAL: Derigor

I think with a 9400kv kit, you are limited to doing backflips and running in a straight line. Best Idea is to look on youtube at brushless 18th scale vids for an idea of how much insanity a 3s on that motor will be.

I dont have a mini DT, but I think you are going to want to get the losi DD sliper clutch if that isnt stock on that truck... maybe a better ball diff too.
Not true t all.. He would be only doing speed runs... Remember Higher KV Lowers tourqe and lower KV increases the mount of tourqe... So either high speed or Backflips.. Honestly I would recommend Either of the Mambas- The Sidewinder 1/18 or the mamba micro pro.. I have had the Sidewinder ( Mamba 25 version ) for about 2 years and its running strong.. Along with a Mamb micro pro that doesn't even get warm after a full run.... Go mamba.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:27 PM
deanR

Yeah, I would look at he mamba 6800 and 5400. but you also need a good battery.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:53 PM
dmerc
My Feedback: (67)

Sorry, I don't mean to jack the thread, but I am running a 370 frenzy on 2s lipo and a 14T pinion and it's pretty quick! However the 370 gets super hot in less than 2 mins running. I've tried gearing down but it still gets very hot. I've also got the DD slipper. I have a 4200Kv Castle motor and a Hobbywing ESC I have never used I am thinking of trying it. Any ideas or comments?
Old 03-10-2009, 04:22 PM
pr2niceandspiffy

i have a losi mini baja with a dynamite c4 8000 with a dynamite mini tazer esc. it is amazing and even really fast with a stock battery
Old 03-12-2009, 11:45 AM
supercharged347

ORIGINAL: NSminiDT

hey guys, this is my first post here on the forum so thanks.

basically i haven't had an electric truck for about 6 years. about 4 days ago i decided to buy the losi mint desert truck. i love it! the next day i went back to my local hobby store and bought the trinity monster 17t. and its a blast!

now im sucked in and decided i want to go all the way with this one. so im looking at brushless kits but i really dont know anything about them. (so i have a few questions)

1)i was thinking about going with the losi exceleron 9400kv kit and lipo 3s batteries, how long would a battery run for with this kit?
2)if i upgrade to this powerful little motor what else should i upgrade at the same time? (diff., cvd's, pinion, spur)
3)is there better brushless kits i should take a look at?
4)is 9400kv way to much? (i do like going fast!!)

my main focus will be just to have some fun with friend. i will NOT be racing on the track.

ill take any input and recommendations

-TIA, dane

most brushless motors with this high of a KV rating arent meant to run on 3s....is this one ??

I've seen an 8900 kv motor on 2s, and its insane. too fast in a 1/18th scale car. Very hard to keep the car stable.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Derigor

ORIGINAL: Wild YFZ 450

ORIGINAL: Derigor

Not true t all.. He would be only doing speed runs... Remember Higher KV Lowers tourqe and lower KV increases the mount of tourqe... So either high speed or Backflips.. Honestly I would recommend Either of the Mambas- The Sidewinder 1/18 or the mamba micro pro.. I have had the Sidewinder ( Mamba 25 version ) for about 2 years and its running strong.. Along with a Mamb micro pro that doesn't even get warm after a full run.... Go mamba.

Not to start a hissy fit but what I said is true. You take a rear wheel drive car with the motor behind the rear axel, put in a monster power plant. Now nail the throttle. All the weight is in the rear of the car making the front in lift. Moving at high speeds with a car that has almost no weight on the front axles will cause the bar to backflip. The wind resistance on the front of the car will flip it over. All I'm saying is that there are other ways to flip a car over than torque.

For example the following video has a guy with a 9200kv in his mini-t. He drives it in a wet (maybe even a bit icy, looks cold!) parking lot. Everytime he comes close to full throttle the car wheel stands and he has to brake to keep it from flipping.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgE95Ll2XRU&feature=related[/youtube]
Old 03-12-2009, 03:34 PM
sonicj

wheelie bar?
Old 03-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Evan T.

Yeah I have a mini dt with the losi 1650mah lipo and a Orion baja motor that needs new brushes and it has to much power for the stock tranny and killed the diff

But im thinking of going brushless too
Old 03-13-2009, 01:24 AM
streetkid

I have a question.

How does a "T" rating on the motor compare to the "Kv" rating. I see a lot of motors described as "15T" and others as "5400Kv" or w/e.

does whatever T always equal whatever Kv, or..?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Evan T.

T is the amount of turns a motor has as in how many times they wrapped the copper wire around the shaft

Kv stands for kilo volts which somone else can probably explain a lot better than I can so I won't
Old 03-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Derigor

ORIGINAL: Evan T.

T is the amount of turns a motor has as in how many times they wrapped the copper wire around the shaft

Kv stands for kilo volts which somone else can probably explain a lot better than I can so I won't

Correction. Kv is kilovolt, but these motors are rated in KV and not Kv. It's confusing I know. KV is rpms per volt. so an 8000KV motor spins at 8000rpm's per volt you run through it.

Brushed motors are always rated in T. Brushless in KV. Some companies will tell you what the approximate brushed equivalent their motor is, just to facilitate ease of picking out a motor to suit your needs. This helps older duders like me who are just getting back into the hobby say "ok my rc10 on a 17T motor was a beast, this brushless is supposed to be a 9T equivalent motor, holy @#%^"

edit: Talking about KV's a KV rating from one company isnt necessarily equal to the KV rating from another company. Hypothetical situation, an 8000KV mamba and an 8000Kv mongoose arnt going to be the same necessarily. It all depends on how the manufacturer rated the motor. If they rated the rpms when running 1.0067 volts through the motor and someone else uses 1.01volts as a standard then obviously there will be some slight difference.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:24 AM
streetkid

Ok cool, so people add the T to help compare brushed and brushless.

I have another question, what does a 270 or 380 sized motor mean, can both brushed and brushless be these sizes?.. I think these #'s only apply to 1/18?
Old 03-13-2009, 12:27 PM
sonicj

they refer to the can size (length) of the motor. they apply to all motors. the zero on the end doesn't really do anything to my knowledge. i think gruapner decided a speed 300, 400, etc sounded better than a speed 30 and it stuck. i could be wrong, but thats my take on it.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Derigor

I believe it was 300 for 300 milimeters. I could be wrong though. but anyways just relates to motor size, but it does get odd... a 550 and a 650 are the same length but one has a larger diameter. I guess things start getting non standard when you get over 550.

edit: yes they are brushed and brushless sizes. You obviously want a motor that fits your car, so you look at it's stock motor and see "hrmm it's a 380 brushed". Then you would go and look at all the 380 brushless sized motors because they "should" fit easily. obviously some things dont fit exactly like they should, this isnt a perfect world.

for instance I had to shave down some of the top plate on my rc18 to get my mongoose (380 sized) motor to fit well. Novak rates their motors in T's as well to be "user friendly" to us old school guys. Honestly it just confused the hell out of me when I was trying to compare them to the Mambas and what not. Had to read the fine print on the Mongoose 10.5T to find out that it was like a 7200KV motor (I cant even remember now, but it was an odd size and comparable to the 6800 mamba).
Old 03-13-2009, 04:19 PM
streetkid

I see.. so, is bigger better?
Old 03-13-2009, 05:20 PM
sonicj

not always... especially in 1/18th scale! getting everything to fit is often a challenge! "bigger" motors usually equals bigger stress on drivetrain and violent cartwheels when you clip a storm drain cover, etc.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Evan T.

So does anyone know about the losi xceleron brushless systems are they any good for 1/18

I really want to go brushless but I want the very best and most user friendly pretty much thanks guys
Old 03-14-2009, 12:37 AM
sonicj

ORIGINAL: Evan T.

So does anyone know about the losi xceleron brushless systems are they any good for 1/18

I really want to go brushless but I want the very best and most user friendly pretty much thanks guys
stay far far away from the losi 1/18 esc's! im on my 4th one! the motors are nice though! the sidewinder & micro pro are both excellent 1/18 escs!
Old 03-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Evan T.

Has horizon been replacing them for free or what cause that seems kinda ridiculous and what are you using battery wise
Old 03-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Evan T.

I would really like to get the xcelorin kit because I lime to stick with factory upgrades

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.