Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Help with RC18B 60+ reliable

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Jonnyboy1617

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with RC18B 60+ reliable

Hi, I'm new to the electric rc cars and I have an AE 18B sitting around. I have a little extra money and want to know if there is a good setup for this buggy that will absolutely launch off the ground and reach 55-70mph easily, but at the same time be reliable. I don't have a lot of time for regular maintenance if that's what is required. I am planning on only buying the engine and battery, unless there's more that i need to purchase. I'd like to stay around $200, but I don't think I would want to go over $250. So, is there an easy way to do this?? And also, I was trying to find aftermarket bodies for this truck but I can't seem to find any. Where are they? And can a body from a different truck or car be used on mine? I would like to have something along the lines of a BMW or maybe a Lancer EVO. Any ideas are appreciated!
Old 03-07-2009, 05:36 PM
austin150

Default RE: Help with RC18B 60+ reliable

i dont know much about the car your talking about but theres a good motor from castle for micro cars thats brushless that could get you to 50mph fo 100 to 150 bucks and then the battery might be able to do the rest such as a lipo wich cost around 120 to 150 with the charger and battery so yeah if you want to 70mph your probaly lookin at 250 dollars if you want 45 to 60mph your lookin at 180 to 200 dollars and brushless motors require no maintnence so i wouldnt worry about the motor but other parts could require maintence heres a link to a good 60mph castle motor

http://www.rcsuperstore.com/ProductD...DM2080&click=2
Old 03-07-2009, 06:37 PM
MonkeyFist

If you are going to be gping 60+ MPH you are going to have do maintaince, because at that speed WHEN you hit something part WILL break.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:32 AM
dylan0123

Go to B-P-P.com and look for the mamba micro pro esc and motor combo. it's $110

you're also going to need to upgrade the drivetrain to handle all the power or it'll strip out the gears.

go to thetoyz.com and look for Steel Diff gears, MIP superdiffs , Carbide diff balls, and MIP CVD's (or thetoyz's cvds, I hear they're just as good), (unless you get the factory team rc18b kit which already has good dogbones and carbide diff balls)

hobbycity.com has good cheap lipos and chargers. you can get a 3s lipo for $14 on there, and a charger for $25

My pick for a charger (you also need a $10 powersupply to plug this into wall, which can be found on the same site:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s.../Charger_2S~4S

you're also going to need motor heatsinks to keep the beast cool. your best bet is to go with the 6800kv mamba setup because the 8000kv one is almost unusable and everyone says it runs too hot.

you're also going to need some basic stuff to help control the vehicle plus add durability:
go to thetoyz.com and get the "drivenproductions gear cover" and "drivenproductions draglink"
I also recommend the rpm bumper because it will save a lot of damage from wrecking...which you'll do a lot at speeds above 50mph

eventually you'll want to replace the steering servo so you can turn at higher speeds, I recommend the Hitec HS-65 MG. it's kinda expensive, but you'll never need a new one and it'll never strip the gears

you're going to have to set up the diff correctly so the gears will hold up under the power, so make sure you shim it properly, and tighten the screws the recommended way (1/4 turn back from fully tight, and the rear a little looser)

I recommend finding a used rc18b or 18t, or even an 18mt on ebay or the market that has most of the parts you need to cut down on cost.

Last, but not least, make sure you read through the Official RC18t/b/mt thread to get tons of valuable info on these guys
Old 03-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Metallover

For those speeds you'll need to to regular maintenance. I recommend a medusa motor with a 1/10th sidewinder es with 3-4s lipo. Flightpower packs are your best bet. I'd stay away from maxamps and losi... You'll need a lipo charger and balancer if the charger doesn't do that... You could probably do it all for 250.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Jonnyboy1617

Thanks for the advice. After reading and watching videos on youtube I think I'm going to buy the mamba 6800, and I know I want a 3's lipo battery but don't know what brand to get yet. And i guess I will get the metal gears, diff and all. And For the looks, I couldnt find an aftermarket body that would fit the 18b [] so I am buying a clear factory body and painting it a slightly metallic silver without decals and mounting these rims and tires http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...lasso?id=11194. I would also like to tint the windows and I'm wondering whats the best way to do it.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Derigor

Parma makes some paint that is transparent (translucent maybe?) that is great for window tinting.

and yes, I agree with metallover, 60+ mph and reliable dont really go together. It's a wonder these cars dont self destruct with the kind of power plants people put in them.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Metallover

The only way you can make a car indestructable is if you get a car with an amazing drivetran and have the car all aluminum. Even then you'll break parts going 60... I'd say leave it all plastic and pay for the repairs. Or drive perfect.