Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

1/18 suggestions for a young one

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 10:31 PM
ernieandbert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/18 suggestions for a young one

I just discovered that my four year old can drive my Tmaxx so I want to get him a 1/18 scale to get him going!! He can actually drive it really well!

I did read the buyers guide(great post!!) but was hoping you all could help narrow it down more for me.

After a bit of research I have so far found interest in the following buggies -

Associated RC18B
XTM Rage
Mini Quake

The Rage looks really good - great reviews and only $100.00
The RC18B seems to be the most solid but a bit pricier at $150.00
The mini quake is in last place so far, it just looks like the other two outshine it at this point.

I am just looking for something that can take a good beating, something that will last that he can grow with(not a Toys r Us toy) and not spend a fortune on replacement parts.

I would also like to be able to trim down/governor the speed on the truck so he can't go all out at first - he is only four!!

Also looking to be able to have fun with it in the house.

What are your suggestions - I just want him to be able to have a good time and not be bogged down with repairing it all the time. I assume he is going to crash it quite a bit!

Also - any suggestion on places to purchase them with great prices!

Thanks all!
ErnieandBert
Old 03-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Snipin_Willy

Default RE: 1/18 suggestions for a young one

The RC18B is going to be the easiest to find parts for. None of those you listed are going to be great fun in doors unless you live in a gym with an open basketball court, they're just too fast for the typical amount of floor space of a house.
I just picked up 2 Pro-Pulses from radio shack for $29 each. Hard to beat that price.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Beomagi

The xtm has known issues with durability of the hubs. Biggest con here is parts support.
The rc18 series does have some control issues - the steering is sloppy but that can be fixed with better servo/saver springs/draglink for fairly cheap. replacement parts are plentiful, and that is the strong point. Drivetrain can be strong, but without shims, don't upgrade the motor.
The vendetta st has some improved features over the mini quake - though I thought the plastic cvd's needed an upgrade out the box since i broke mine on the stock motor. Upgraded drivetrain is BEASTLY though, and steering is accurate unlike the rc18.

if no upgrades - rc18b/t/r
if upgrading - vendetta st or quake (similar)
Old 03-14-2009, 10:50 PM
animalnut

my two year old son has the losi raminator w/single motor and it seems to hold up well
Old 03-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Seek and Destroy

I would say get the rc18b due to parts availibility and durability of the car. There are definately some things it needs out of the box but that can easily be changed.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Snipin_Willy

I agree with X; of the ones you listed the RC18B looks to be the smartest choice. Just remember when something breaks he's gonna come to you to fix it [&:]
Old 03-15-2009, 11:53 AM
RMPROB

I personally like the rc18b and the losi minis. they are easy to get parts for and lots of fun!
Old 03-15-2009, 04:38 PM
mikemcnair

get a pro pulse, and replace the broken parts yer kid causes with RC18T/B parts.

i just bought my SECOND pro pulse, and still have 2 Team assoc. RC18T's (the "TEAM" ones, that come with aluminum stuff) and i NEVER use them. the PP is probably the best RC buy currently on the market.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Snipin_Willy

Well, it's hard to argue that it isn't the most bang for buck ($29!!!). Just need a battery and charger.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:56 PM
jaejw1

ORIGINAL: ernieandbert

I just discovered that my four year old can drive my Tmaxx so I want to get him a 1/18 scale to get him going!! He can actually drive it really well!

I did read the buyers guide(great post!!) but was hoping you all could help narrow it down more for me.

After a bit of research I have so far found interest in the following buggies -

Associated RC18B
XTM Rage
Mini Quake

The Rage looks really good - great reviews and only $100.00
The RC18B seems to be the most solid but a bit pricier at $150.00
The mini quake is in last place so far, it just looks like the other two outshine it at this point.

I am just looking for something that can take a good beating, something that will last that he can grow with(not a Toys r Us toy) and not spend a fortune on replacement parts.

I would also like to be able to trim down/governor the speed on the truck so he can't go all out at first - he is only four!!

Also looking to be able to have fun with it in the house.

What are your suggestions - I just want him to be able to have a good time and not be bogged down with repairing it all the time. I assume he is going to crash it quite a bit!

Also - any suggestion on places to purchase them with great prices!

Thanks all!
ErnieandBert
although i LOVE my vendettas.. and would offer them up as a great choice for nyone.. but if these are your choices.. i would have to say..

the rc18.. i used to drive mine everyday.. took a heck of a beating...

the rage sux.. very brittle.. i have no idea what reviews you read but all the stuff i read.. including that on the xtm's forums say different.. no one is happy with it.. i have one and got tired of replacing parts.. great car otherwise.. but the plastic parts will break your pocket book..

i dont own the miniquake.. so i cant comment on it..
Old 03-16-2009, 09:23 PM
ernieandbert

I found two pro pulses for 30 a piece and picked up a bunch of extra parts and batteries - total spent - a little over 100!!!!! At that price I could not pass it up.

Got em home and I am truly impressed!
The little one is doing great but also banging into things here and there and they seem to be holding up great!!!

Thanks for the advice

Ernie
Old 03-17-2009, 11:29 AM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

+1 for the pro pulse, i love mine and just took it with me on vacation. im more than impresed with the level of performance from this thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbKMC...e=channel_page
Old 03-17-2009, 11:49 AM
sonicj
My Feedback: (2)

thats a awesome wall! i gotta remember to stay at the sheraton next time i visit mickey!
Old 03-17-2009, 05:51 PM
ernieandbert

He is putting a ton of miles on it and totally mastering it!!
He will be race ready this summer - There is a track down the road and I am bringing him.

It has taken took a few really good crashes and held up like a champ.

I will post a video soon.

Anyone who thinks these are not quality RC mini's are crazy!

I would recommend them to anyone.

Ernie