Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Do diffs come loose on there own?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:28 PM
westphill24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do diffs come loose on there own?

I have a mamba sidewinder, 6800kv motor and a new 2cell lipo and my 18t diffs seem to keep loosening up on me. I was just wondering what if anything am I doing wrong or are the diffs just gone? I just rebuilt them a couple months ago but besides some donuts in the house I havent really run it. I have 3 shims on front and back which helped before but I heard 3 should be the max needed.

Also do lipos wake up after charging/discharging a few times because these are only a tad better than my elite 1500's? These are brand new first run lipos.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:35 AM
sonicj
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Do diffs come loose on there own?

i've heard of a break-in period for lipos, but it involves not discharging completely the first few cycles. they should be bangin' if new & charged! what pack did you get? does your charger tell you voltage on each cell?

do rc18 diffs have a lock nut on the other side or do they screw into plastic? either way, you can use loctite. if its plastic, make sure its loctite for plastic. i used a little CA on my pro-pulse diffs after the plastic started to strip and it worked OK. im having a hard time visualizing it in my head, but i think if you flip the diffs, the direction of rotation changes so that the screw is tightened as you drive vs loosened. i might not be right though...

diffs slipping will feel like little to no increase in power over your nimh packs. be careful if they are slipping! it doesn't take much slip before the heat starts melting plastic!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Metallover

You could try loctite or maybe ca glue to keep the diffs from slipping. I'm assuming you're talking about ball diffs.

Also, what lipo are you using? I hope it's not maxamps because you probably won't notice a performance difference... Make sure to balance the lipos too if your charger doesn't.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Seek and Destroy

Ya my diffs keep loosening, so I decided to CA glue them. I will let you know how that works out.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Metallover

With CA glue I meant put some on the screw or bolt or nut that tightens the slipper. Loctite might be a better option...
Old 04-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Seek and Destroy

ORIGINAL: Metallover

With CA glue I meant put some on the screw or bolt or nut that tightens the slipper. Loctite might be a better option...
I have the mip super diff and lost the bolt that goes on the other end, I didn't realize it tip now. But anyway I will let you know how it works.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:55 AM
sonicj
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: -xXXx-

I have the mip super diff and lost the bolt that goes on the other end, I didn't realize it tip now. But anyway I will let you know how it works.
by bolt, do you mean nut?
Old 04-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Seek and Destroy

ORIGINAL: sonicj

ORIGINAL: -xXXx-

by bolt, do you mean nut?
Ya I lost the nut and the plastic the thing that held it.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Seek and Destroy

Well I just ran it, It worked really good. So good that I ended up stripping the spur out.[>:] Most likely cause of a bad mesh though.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:16 PM
westphill24

Yeah I have the ball diffs and the zippy 1450mah 2cell. Its like I have a slipper clutch the way it was acting but I took the diffs apart and realized I had 5 shims in the back and 2 in the front. I think Ill either order new gears or just get mips. I dont see any plastic shreds anywhere but since I got the car used I have no idea if there the stock gears or not so I mind as well get new parts.