Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Brushless systems in Mini LST's

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 11:04 PM
minilstdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless systems in Mini LST's

Ok, I currently have a mini LST with the sidewinder 4200KV motor. Stock batteries,( Iuse them because 1: I 've heard horro stories bout lipo, and 2: I have 3 Mini LST's, My sons, My wifes(being built) and mine and want to be able to use the same battsin all) Now, I've noticed that the sidewinder is slower than the stock motors. so my question is this, is there another system/motor size i should go with? like the longer run times but like the speed too. would like to meet in the middle on both.
Thanks
Old 05-17-2009, 11:46 PM
sonicj
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Brushless systems in Mini LST's

i'd recommend checking out a123 batteries and maybe a larger can motor. something like the ammo 28-35-3900 on a 3s a123 pack should rip!
Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 AM
Go-Zilla

ORIGINAL: minilstdad

Ok, I currently have a mini LST with the sidewinder 4200KV motor. Stock batteries,( I use them because 1: I 've heard horro stories bout lipo, and 2: I have 3 Mini LST's, My sons, My wifes(being built) and mine and want to be able to use the same battsin all) Now, I've noticed that the sidewinder is slower than the stock motors. so my question is this, is there another system/motor size i should go with? like the longer run times but like the speed too. would like to meet in the middle on both.
Thanks

There are several ways to do that which doesn't have to be installing another system. You already have a very good system, the sidewinder 4200kv.

(1) Run Time:
You can get a bigger Nimh pack. I believe the stock one is 1100mAh, so get a higher mAh battery would get you longer run time.
There is one on eBay which claim it fits in a MLST, just on to eBay and search for "8.4V Elite 1500mA Battery - New Fits Team Losi Mini-LST.", this not only get your a bit longer run time but also it is a 8.4v so gives you a bit more power.
Another like this is Dynamite on Horizon Hobby http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN1438 is also a 1500mAh also.
Also http://www.eboyztoyz.net/index.php?op=showitem&sku=9778 which is a 7.2V 1600mAh.

(2) Speed:
To get speed you need to be clear you mean by acceleration or top speed ? For top speed you could switch out to a pinion with more teeth, or at the same time switch out the spur gear with less teeth, then of course the truck might take off slower. For acceleartion, use a pinion with less teeth or go up on the spur gear. Sure it take off fast, but it then limited on your top speed. So you need to be clear what you want here.

(3) Speed:
Also the sidewinder is programmable. You could change the "Motor Timing" and see if that make you happy. changing Motor Timing on the sidewinder is like switching out the pinion with different teeth without taking the truck apart to physically changing it. Get that Castle link USB and hook it up to a computer, I like that Castle link software program a lot.

(4) Another system:
If you really want to spend the money and go nuts, I would get the Novak Mongoose. I got mine like a month ago and it is a Novak Mongoose 10.T. It delivers power and speed like I never had see on my MLST with any other systems I have tried.

Hope this help.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Peowraaku

ORIGINAL: sonicj

i'd recommend checking out a123 batteries and maybe a larger can motor. something like the ammo 28-35-3900 on a 3s a123 pack should rip!
the only real big benefit (to the typical user)of A123 is that they won't puff up and explode like LiPos. I assume thats why you're suggesting them, but it takes a new charger and probably soldering skills to start using them. its quite an investment...

its hard to fit 3SA123 in the MLSTtoo. 2SA123 will just barely fit in the battery tray. you have to slightly bend the electronics tray to get the clip in. for 3S, i removed the tray and rear post, strapped the battery down with two velcro straps, and stuck my ESCon top of it with velcro. this always made me nervous because the ESCwould wiggle loose.