Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 03:29 AM
BigGrump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

Well, the new Mamba Max Pro is in.......... After a modest period of "buyers remorse" it is finally tuned to match my needs, and at least desires at this point, and is working well. I completely now understand why everyone previously that has installed them, talks so much about the comprimises needed to fit it in. I did it about the same as Joe Cool and put the Mamba on the drivers side, and moved the receiver to the passanger side. Both are fastened by good quality velcro strips.

Joe Cool concluded the 4S Lipo is unnecessary and overkill for the Merv.... I now agree completely.

I will say, I spent some time getting everything adjusted for 4S, and now have a set-up I can live with and provides a streaming, seamless, and endless resivour of both power and rpm's; that is very intoxicating for me and satisfying, not to mention exciting.

To accomplish this, I settled back to stock wheels, and 23/50 gearing. The Mamba holds up it's end by virtue of it's adjustability and willingness to process the 4S power.

The key was setting the Mamba's Punch Coltrol to 100%. That setting does not change the full range of rpm's or power, but does slow the rate, over time, the speed controller allows the change of current relative to throttle movement at the radio transmitter. This results in smoothing out driver imput of trigger movement. The Merv reacts in not "jumping out of it's skin" everytime it gets a little too much trigger signal. It will still wheelie when desired, but the accidential, out of control wheelies, are gone.

I can now drive on smooth level asphalt easily with 4S lipos, and have all the acceleration I can stand, more top speed than I can stand, all the while undercontrol, and without that violent out of controll wheelie at the end of the run.

I have put through at least three full packs worth of 4S operation and feel like it is simply a normal use of the Merv. I do have to keep an eye on temps as they can climb more rapidly than 3S operation, but nothing that is difficult.

'Cause I feel like 4S on the little stock Merv motor can be harder on it, I started thinking about a replacment motor if and when the time comes. I found a bran new mini revo motor on E-Bay, pulled from a new Merv for $39. I ordered it Tuesday morning and it arrived at my house today. It is new, so now I don't feel bad if using 4S is pushing the motor.

Dennis
Old 04-24-2010, 07:05 AM
J0EC00L
My Feedback: (3)

Dennis,

great info! Yes the 4s was overkill; especially with my mambma max pro not even dialed in correctly. Can I ask a favor? Did you set yours up with a CPU or the quick tuning card? I would love to have mine dialed in such as yours, so if you did it with a cpu, can you give me a screenshot of your settings. I'd like to start at yours as a baseline and make any necessary adjustments according to my style that are needed. You've eliminated 90% of the guess work for me!

I'm starting to re-think the beadlocks issue. They add over 1lb and that only slows down the merv. I actually love the stock wheels, but wish there was a plastic beadlock. Plus; everyone has taped their tires, which also adds weight.

I'm in Tampa right now, so I can finally visit a real hobby shop and ask some questions... Maybe get some advice on rim & tire choices.

Dennis, I'm glad you managed to tune the esc and merv to handle 4s... Wish I took that time. Nope, I just plugged it in, slapped some 4s in there and tool her for a spin. That's when I quickly concluded that 4s was basically over kill. 3S will be plenty enough for the day to day driving and the ease of knowing I wont blow my motor. Which, leads me to another question: I hear stories about the novak motors... Which is the best motor to put in our merv? I'm thinking the stocker is best as in terms of price and performance! Dennis got one for 40; i actually won a motor for 25... shipped for free! So they are fairly cheap, and we can get 2 to 3 for the price of one. So who knows???

Joe
Old 04-24-2010, 07:48 AM
BigGrump

Dennis,

great info! Yes the 4s was overkill; especially with my mambma max pro not even dialed in correctly. Can I ask a favor? Did you set yours up with a CPU or the quick tuning card? I would love to have mine dialed in such as yours.

I'm starting to re-think the beadlocks issue. They add over 1lb and that only slows down the merv. I actually love the stock wheels, but wish there was a plastic beadlock. Plus; everyone has taped their tires, which also adds weight.

I'm in Tampa right now, so I can finally visit a real hobby shop and ask some questions... Maybe get some advice on rim & tire choices.

Dennis, I'm glad you managed to tune the esc and merv to handle 4s... Wish I took that time. Nope, I just plugged it in, slapped some 4s in there and tool her for a spin. That's when I quickly concluded that 4s was basically over kill. 3S will be plenty enough for the day to day driving and the ease of knowing I wont blow my motor. Which, leads me to another question: I hear stories about the novak motors... Which is the best motor to put in our merv?

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...#ixzz0m1IUC75M

GI JOE COOL.........

I used the Castle Link and set the settings at the computer terminal. Your quick tuning card, if that is what you have, can be used to connect yout MMP to a USB cable to plug into your computer. With Castle Link software installed, it is really pretty easy. There is a practice section, so you can learn how to use the set-up without taking a chance on messing up your MMP. Also, there were two levels of newer software for the MMP that easily downloaded from the Castle software.

I locked out reverse, for obvious reasons, set the brakes for 50%, adjusted the throttle curve to rise a little faster than stock for first 1/3 of throttle movement, which flattens it slightly for the last 2/3's. Set the punch control to 100%.

I agree, the bead-lock wheels are very heavy, and place an increased load on the drive train, and raise unsprung weight a lot. Last about wheels, I have never seen the reason to tape the tires is these small tires. Yes, when I hold the Merv in the air and rev it up, I can get pizza cutters, but on the ground within the speeds I can obtain, which I guess is in the 50 mph range, I see no evidence of expanding, or any change in handling because of it, so for me saving the unsprung weight of the tire is more valuable.

While you are at that "real hobby store" get some "real tire glue" and maybe have them show you the correct way to glue your stock tires to the rims, and I am sure they will stop comming apart. You need very thin glue that will rappidly wick way into the bead to re-glue the tires.

As for the motors, there may be better than the stock traxxas one, but for me it seems like high quality, is a 4000 KV (desiriable) and I just bought a new one for $39, so what could be better than that?...... and, it fits perfect in the Merv, helping to keep the weight low in the chassis. Please, get the speed controller dialed in, and the chassis dialed in, then see if you don't agree on the stock motor. I just think it is the silver bullet for the Merv and at $39 a pop, I can have fun without worry. Last I believe life is easier and better to stick with sensorless motors, like the stock one is. Castle specializes in sensorless for their speed controllers. Perfect......

Dennis
Old 04-24-2010, 07:51 AM
brianjskora

if anyone is interested in some tires for theirbeadlocks, I have a set.. I just tried them out but I like my other setup better. Ill sell them for20 shipped. These do great in the grass because they are a little taller. Again, these have only been used once.

Highflryr- Guess what... Those goosebump tires will be at my house today. Ill let you know how they fit.

Absoulte best wheels for these cars are either the monster ss wheel, or the old traxxas 1972 wheels... you just have to trim them, which is incredibly easy. I've done 2 sets... SUMMA bought one from me, ill have him chime in, and I drive the other. Unfortunately, the best tires for these were the m3 bowtie by proline, and they are discontinued. They were only 3.2 inchesx1.9 and extremly light. Mine should have another 3 months of life left in them though.

Heres a pic of the tires im selling, then a pic of my favorite setup next to the ones im selling.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75051.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1423908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44096.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1423909  
Old 04-24-2010, 08:13 AM
Topplayer
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: MuggyDude

Just what do you have on your modded one? It may also be a bit slower if it is older than the stock one.
it is deff older than the stock one by far
my merv has
full rpm arms
traxxas push rods & turnbuckles
bead locs with dirt hawgs
front rockers in the rear
full hr knuckles
sidewinder esc
just put in the hitec servo
30k in both diffs
umm i think thats it. I think my barering are good. maybe my motor is beat? im going to try the stock rims today. I ordered 2 2s lipos from hobbyking.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Topplayer

if you looking for new rims take a look at the new traxxas rim made for the merv traxxas part number 7171. when i can find one in stock im going to get a set!
Old 04-24-2010, 09:55 AM
BigGrump

I have been thinking about my last post recommending the Mamba Max Pro punch control being set to 100%. I may have stated the results a little stronger than intended. I do not want to mislead anyone into thinking the punch control will make up for herky jerky throttle control. The driver still has to try to drive smoothly, using only that amount of throttle necessary to accomplish speed desired. Any attempt to slam it wide open at any time will result in a violent wheelie. But, when you attempt to drive smoothly, getting all the performance from the Merv you want, then the Mamba Max helps you do this and will cover up any small twitches to the throttle, which without the "punch control" would send the Merv sliding upside down.

Hope this helps

Dennis
Old 04-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Topplayer

taken from a thread on the traxxas thread

Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
The Titus/Dirt Hawg combo weighs so much it killed all the punch that the MERV had. I loved the wider stance and added ground clearance but even geared way down the weight of the set up just killed the punch or snap the MERV is so well known for. I also got the feeling the weight was going to take it's toll on the knuckles and other related parts. Once Traxxas released the light weight dish wheels I garbed a set of them and mounted the Dirt Hawgs up on them and could not be happier. The Traxxas wheels have a wide stance but not as wide as the Titus but they are MUCH lighter and it really shows in the performance of the truck.

cant wait to get a set of the traxxas dish rims

edit:
another thread this time taken from rctech.net

[QUOTE][img]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/user1/LOCALS~1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img][img]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/user1/LOCALS~1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/img]Traxxas finally stepped up and released a 2.2" buggy sized dish rim for the mini Revo. The rim accepts any 2.2" sized buggy tire and fits the mini Revo perfectly with no mods. It also adds 14mm of width to the stance (7mm per side). I was running the ProLine Titus bead locks with Dirt Hawgs but the weight of those wheels really hurt the performance of the Revo. I mounted up a set of the same Dirt Hawgs on the Traxxas #7171 rims and could not be happier. My MERV is a zippy little beast again with all the advantages of the bigger tires and wider stance.
[QUOTE]

Old 04-24-2010, 11:00 AM
J0EC00L

Brian...

I may be interested in those tires. Do they come with the beadlocks at 20? If so - PM me, they are sold!

I still need to get some lighter wheels for my MERV, but cannot pass up beadlocks and those tires! They look like they love the dirt!

Joe
Old 04-24-2010, 11:26 AM
honda2237

wow topplayer, thanks for the info, i might do that because even my regular rims i have are heavy, because they are over built for rock climbing, plus they do wobble a little. I mean don't get me wrong, i long how wide my truck is, but i can't turn, its crazy.

I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but black springs seem worn out??? what i mean by this is if i push the truck all the way down, then release it, it only pushes the truck up about 1/2", i checked everything and nothing is getting hooked, or a lot of resistance, everything is super smooth. Does anyone else have this problem or any suggestions? yes preloads are set so it sits level. i personally think there needs to be new spring design for these, like the stock length but black stiffness.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Topplayer

The only place i could find a set was MyAtomic.com. tower had one pair but i need 4 not 2. I ordered them my atomic. I am also going to my lhs and going to order a set. Gonna sell my bead locs!
Old 04-24-2010, 12:35 PM
brianjskora

Tires are on ebay starting at $10 http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Line-2-2-Bow...item3cac7a366e

Wheels are on ebay starting at $20, buy it now for $30 free shipping http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Line-Titus-2...item3cac7a3fef

Old 04-24-2010, 08:53 PM
J0EC00L

Brian... i have the high bid. hopefully they don't go for more. Basically, my bid will make them 20 shipped, unless someone wants them more than me - dang, i would have bought them straight off ya!

By the way, why are you getting rid of them?

Also, I think i'm gonna do something similar. Probably get rid of my beadlocks with the road rages. I don't really need a road tire, and if i ever go on road i'll just throw some foamies on... ooh, flip over city there!

i think i'll let the set go at 40 shipped. I taped them, but will reomve the tape, unless someone wants them that way. Probably put it up on r/c universe ads - avoid ebay fees.
Also have to get rid of my new bulkheads (front and rear) don't need them, since i ordered the updated versions. maybe do a whole get up at 50 bones for bulkheads and rims/tires
Joe
Old 04-24-2010, 09:20 PM
J0EC00L

Just found the next set of dirt tires i'm getting for the big E-Revo. Wish they made these in a 2.2 or 2.8 and 30 series to put on our MERV's!

They are the Pro-Line Big Joe 40 series tires! J0EC00L getting some "Big Joe's!"

These things are seriously wide and word on the street is that their performance is amazing in the dirt or short patchy grass!

- Big Joe Cool

Name:	Pn36446.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1424334  
Old 04-24-2010, 09:57 PM
brianjskora

Joe- I am selling just because they werent the right setup for my track, which is really all I drive on.I really liked the way they landed jumps, as it was very plush. They do great it grass, leaves, dirt, etc,and give you some extra ground clearance. I just thought they were a little shorter, which is why I am selling. Are you excalibur? If so, if you win, Ill toss in some extra revo' stuff. I dont know what it will be yet, but it will be something you can use for your car.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:56 PM
J0EC00L

Cool, thanks Brian. Yes, I'm excaliburr7.

We'll see how it goes. Hopefully I win on the bid.

By the way, I think your merv may be the latest, especially if it shows the new 5ch link rcvr.

I just got some sand paws / paddles from the hobbytown here in Tampa I probably could hav gotten them a few bucks cheaper online, but it felt good to finally go to a LHS and actually hold the items in my hand. too bad the kids inside had no idea what they were talking about. They didn't seem dumb, but didn't have a clue about half the items they were selling: justkept trying to get me to buy road tires and road rims. Didn't even know if the 2.2 sand paws would fit my beadlocks. I knew more about traxxas items than they did. They even tried to get me to buy stuff I already had and kept pushing alum hop ups. Seriously??? I need to find a better hobby shop in Tampa. I hope and pray hobbytown isn't my only option

Anyways, I went ahead and gave it a shot and I mounted them on the beadlocks. Wow... a perfect fit. The sand paws have an extra thick sidewalk and lip and that are perfect for beadlocks. I'll post photos tomorrow. Funny thing is, they did not need foam inserts. It wa recommended not to use foam inserts, as the tires are plenty thick enough to not need the inside padding.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:19 AM
coreysumma

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGKzUFLJSPM[/youtube]

Me and Summa's track about 90% completed.  All the jumps are done we just have to cover the grass with dirt, which we have but are slacking on filling it in.  Heres one quick lap, be easy on me now, I'm still learning how to drive this thing haha
Old 04-25-2010, 12:30 AM
J0EC00L

Great track, and great video. My next suggestion would be a Birds eye video; especially with one that follows the rc as it gets into the tighter turns. You know what else would be wicked cool, but would probably take up too much time and effort: a loopdy-loop! Think about it... It's a straight away and then you have to punch it to get a good steam behind you as you enter the loop. Once you've exited the loop, be prepared for a huge jump such as yours in the distance... The speed will already be there from the loop, but will the driver be cautious e ough to not over jump?
Old 04-25-2010, 07:58 AM
brianjskora

Nice Corey! When we racin? Today is out, too wet!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:01 AM
honda2237

That is pretty cool track.

Any help for my problem?

Those new bulkheads are great, do they make the new designed front bulkheads? Could use them because my girlfriend is learning how to drive this truck.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:01 PM
hghflyrjd1

ORIGINAL: J0EC00L

Just found the next set of dirt tires i'm getting for the big E-Revo. Wish they made these in a 2.2 or 2.8 and 30 series to put on our MERV's!

They are the Pro-Line Big Joe 40 series tires! J0EC00L getting some ''Big Joe's!''

These things are seriously wide and word on the street is that their performance is amazing in the dirt or short patchy grass!

- Big Joe Cool

I have that same set on my savage x and there huge compared to stock landings are plush after these and they handle off road nicely but u need a upgraded servo to really handle em and turn em good 200+oz servo
Old 04-25-2010, 05:17 PM
J0EC00L

So you don't think the twin upgraded futaba servos i have in my BERV (Big E-Revo) will handle the Big Joe's? I would hope so... though, you never know!

Maybe you mean i would need to upgrade the servo in the MERV to handle the Big Joe's

By the way, here is a photo of the Sand Paws on my MERV. Unfortunately, i'll have to remove the front bumper or cut the edges off to allow for turning. Probably just remove the front bumper, since i'll be using these at the beach or in the snow.

Name:	Db83733.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1425090  
Old 04-25-2010, 05:39 PM
BigGrump

The stock servos in a Revo will turn the Big Joes just fine. I have a set of Big Joes on my Nitro Revo with a Big Block engine, and the stock twin servos turn them just fine.

Dennis
Old 04-25-2010, 07:08 PM
brianjskora

Finally broke one of my stock rear a-arms today!! Time to install the RPM's I've had for 2 months. I didnt install them because the stock ones hadnt broken yet. Lookin good there joe
Old 04-25-2010, 08:04 PM
J0EC00L

Grump,

I figured the stock servos can handle it. But my berv has the high performance futaba twin servos in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.