Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 08:35 AM
MKIICoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

Nitro haha
Old 10-15-2011, 08:52 AM
kaycerc

ORIGINAL: rollingball

What were we doing before lipos and BL systems?
Dealing endlessly with heavy battery packs, that got hot, and didn't supply the extended runtimes of today - and semi-regular motor replacement.

And not having to reply to kids' rants because their motor blew up after running 3 lipo packs through it back to back, or why their truck exploded after hitting a telephone pole at warp-9.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:17 AM
rollingball

Remember them 5 minute runs!!!

Back when I dropped out of the hobby. NiMH packs was just coming into play, Back in to early 90s folks. But gear boxes were crap along with dog bones and upgraded balldiffs were supposed to help, NOT. Busted, melted, and noodled axels and gear boxes. Along with over priced nicad packs. burned brushes and constant maintenance drove me out of electrics. I did not have much better luck with nitro. Engines would out last vehicles. I had one good OS .12 engine that lived in 3 vehicles till is suffered an annoying air leak. After that any replacements were junk even different engines were junk. Good Bye hobby. Did not matter what brand they were all in the same bus.

Till 5 years ago, when I picked up on a BL 'Pede and HobbyCity lipos. What a pleasure just to run longer than 5 minutes with no hassles. Now the hobby escalated to the BL Revo, 4X4 'Pede and now the MERV. Along with various BL Helis. Biggest problem I have had is exploding rotors in the BL Revo on 6S. Corrected with a correct kV motor for 6S.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:00 AM
kaycerc

Remember them 5 minute runs!!!
In a way I still dream fondly about it, racing like mad the first couple of minutes of a 4-minute heat and everyone crossing their fingers hoping they'd make time as the cars slowed down precipitously the last minute of every race as packs dumped. It was an important part of the hobby, that's been done away with by anyone being able to get bazzillion-mah batteries. Nobody has to learn how to properly gear a car anymore.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:07 AM
rollingball

Absolutely. And no one cared as long as it went fast. I think the lowest turn motor was 7 turn single with silver brushes. And at the time it was always out of stock.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:12 AM
kaycerc

Absolutely. And no one cared as long as it went fast. I think the lowest turn motor was 7 turn single with silver brushes. And at the time it was always out of stock.
"Drag race motor," maybe........I remember a 14-Double was considered borderline, and I luved 16-D's and 17-Triples as I could always make time.
I remember racing with this one guy we called "Dragrace Fred" because he was always bragging about having some 10-single or 7-double, or some other exotic wind, and he'd be going great guns the first minute or two and would inevitably dump at the 3-minute mark and never finish.

Reminds me, I was talking about having "matched battery packs" the other day, them costing $100 apiece,
and needing 4-5 per vehicle, and this guy looked at me and said, "What's that?" and I just lol'd
Old 10-15-2011, 10:30 AM
rollingball

Fond and heartache memories Anyway back to MERV talk. Just got the wide bumpers in for the MERV, 4X4 Pede and BL Revo. From T-Bone Racing. Nice pieces. They should make the front of the trucks more impact friendly. Got a bunch of people kids and adults who have this odd game of running out and straddling high speed vehicles. Drilled one last week. That narrow front skid plate on the BL Revo drilled a foot.

I did ask if he was ok and curious to see if it would be done again. Well, I just got a look. Anyway more surface area to spread out a collision.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:26 AM
kaycerc

Fond and heartache memories Anyway back to MERV talk. Just got the wide bumpers in for the MERV, 4X4 Pede and BL Revo. From T-Bone Racing. Nice pieces. They should make the front of the trucks more impact friendly. Got a bunch of people kids and adults who have this odd game of running out and straddling high speed vehicles. Drilled one last week. That narrow front skid plate on the BL Revo drilled a foot.

I did ask if he was ok and curious to see if it would be done again. Well, I just got a look. Anyway more surface area to spread out a collision.
T-Bone makes nice stuff, for lots of RC's - they also have a full-length skid plate (for the merv, mini-slash, rally) that not only protects the underside of the chassis, and deflects debris from the rear cvds, but lowers the COG. Nice piece.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Wish_Mastera

Heya,

I got a roller of this little cute 1/16 Revo VXL, but have trouble. I have 2 options, and need advice which one is better/cheaper.
1. Have to buy original 380 mottor, or anything better and compleate it with Mamba Max ESC, which I have, or:
2. Have to buy conversion or all the different parts from VXL to brushed with 550 Titan motor and then mount my Castle 7700 motor.
This one is harder, because I cant find these parts, unless an aftermarket conversion mount for $30.
As last option will search for another cheaper roller meant to be with 550 brushed and will use this as spare truck( its in very bad condition from previous owner). The problem here is that everybody got the better brushless version and nobody sell the brushed with 550

Any ideas please?
Old 10-15-2011, 01:22 PM
kaycerc

ORIGINAL: Wish_Mastera

Heya,

I got a roller of this little cute 1/16 Revo VXL, but have trouble. I have 2 options, and need advice which one is better/cheaper.
1. Have to buy original 380 mottor, or anything better and compleate it with Mamba Max ESC, which I have, or:
2. Have to buy conversion or all the different parts from VXL to brushed with 550 Titan motor and then mount my Castle 7700 motor.
This one is harder, because I cant find these parts, unless an aftermarket conversion mount for $30.
As last option will search for another cheaper roller meant to be with 550 brushed and will use this as spare truck( its in very bad condition from previous owner). The problem here is that everybody got the better brushless version and nobody sell the brushed with 550

Any ideas please?
Can't understand why you're interested in the larger 550 brushed motor.
The 380 Brushless motor setup is plenty of motor for this truck, faster than brushed, and it's going to require less maintenance than any brushed motor.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:04 PM
gforce2448
My Feedback: (12)

You can buy the Traxxas 550 motor mount and plate seperately for like $10. Or the Tenbol mount for $20-30. I got the Tenbol before the Traxxas 550 was out but got it with my second big block conversion as it was the cheaper route. My lhs had them in stock, should be easy to find.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Wish_Mastera

ORIGINAL: kaycerc
The 380 Brushless motor setup is plenty of motor for this truck, faster than brushed, and it's going to require less maintenance than any brushed motor.

I dont have any other brushless setup then my Mamba. I want the brushed version, because its cheaper, and will use only motor mount. Model will be used as parts. Thats first option.

Gforce2448, I'm from Bulgaria and its really hard to find those parts here. I cant find them on ebay too. So what you think about geting velion 380 brushless and use it with my mamba ESC? I guess I should use 3s on that setup.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:55 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

ORIGINAL: kaycerc

I dont have any other brushless setup then my Mamba. I want the brushed version, because its cheaper, and will use only motor mount. Model will be used as parts. Thats first option.

Gforce2448, I'm from Bulgaria and its really hard to find those parts here. I cant find them on ebay too. So what you think about geting velion 380 brushless and use it with my mamba ESC? I guess I should use 3s on that setup.
If your having trouble finding parts try Tower and TheToyz, Tower has a some good coupons so if your going to spend over $100 be sure to join their super saver club. They both ship internationally and they have everything you should need. Not sure if there are any customs charges in Bulgaria so you might want to check that out.

Tower Mini E-Revo parts
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=TRAD18**&P=Z

TheToyz Mini E-Revo parts
http://thetoyz.com/traxxas/mini-1-16-revo/1420/
Old 10-16-2011, 03:24 AM
Wish_Mastera

Thank you, already checked there.
It will be too expensive to order Tenbol motor mount from The Toyz - $42 shipped
From Tower will be around $26 shipped for brushed 550 motor mount and plate, cover is on backorder...

I'll go for Tower order, but still not sure will it be better, if I buy velion 380 brushless and just mount it there. Can be found new for around $40 shipped. I guess with 540 Castle 7700kv motor will be almost imposible for driving.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:15 AM
gforce2448

That will work. I first upgraded my Merv with a Castle MMP ESC and the stock VXL motor. That will help with heat issues the stock esc has. Later I installed a 4900 kv 1/10 size motor. I have a 7700 kv castle motor in my rally, which works good for street. But that wouldn't be a good choice for the mini revo.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Wish_Mastera

I'm far from bashing with this heavy 1/10 motor. So 7700 even with 55 spur and very small pinion its not good? I have HPI Super nitro tires, which are perfect for street, but for offroad I have the stock tires.
Will going for 380 brushless motor for now, but not sure if stock VXL is good enough, or can find anyhing better for that money.

Thank you all for replays, you help me a lot!

Edit:
Will use 2x Turnigy 2200mAh 2S 30C, but I'm worried about pack size. The doors are cut, so the wires come out easy, but not sure about 105mm length. I measured 103mm battery tray... Can I compress the battery 2-3mm?
Pack Weight: 135g
Pack Size: 105 x 34 x 16mm
Old 10-16-2011, 07:46 AM
kaycerc

ORIGINAL: Wish_MasteraCan I compress the battery 2-3mm?
NO

Old 10-16-2011, 04:04 PM
rollingball

Pretty much got the old hands tied with lipos for the MERV. Many that would work but many are just to long. And the normal working space is much less than the total length of the opening.

Anyway I forgot to mention, since it was out of site, my MERV also has a CNC steering post and servo saver.

More coming in tomorrow. Highlight will be the Castle System and some other bits are due in also. Postal Service does not have the greatest tracking system. One for sure is Castle via UPS!

Got a new servo for the big E Revo, Now a single sided setup. Its the Savox 1256TG. For me it is better than the China servo that I had and 3 times better than the Traxxas servo.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:29 PM
rollingball

Man, What a big can motor. It does fit after some mods, I had to remove my rear chassis brace. Plan on grinding that down and put that piece back in. Now sure on what pinion to use quite yet. I screwed up and ordered the 5MM shaft version instead of the 3.2MM motor shaft version. Got the correct shaft coming. Anyway depending on pinion size. I'm guessing on smaller ones, there was some interference with the shocks, So right now I have two small spacers on the back side of the center gear box to tilt the assembly for clearance. They may stay or be removed or modded.

Unreal on the length of the motor wires, their 10 inches long

Not a productive evening, but one step closer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68253.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	1675693  
Old 10-18-2011, 03:10 PM
rollingball

Few steps closer to being done with project. Just have to add my Anderson power poles, paint the slipstream body and wait for the correct motor shaft to arrive.

Added some LED headlights, also from The Toyz site. Got the last pair of white so I mixed up some blue ones also.

Need to make a stop at a home center to get some small shrink, then I can solder the LED wires. Nice touch to make use of some old unused balance taps.

A few more pixs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73393.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1676207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gx30728.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	1676208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj48796.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	1676209  
Old 10-18-2011, 03:51 PM
gforce2448

Very nice looking rollingball!

Is that the Integy carbon fiber chassis? If so what do you think of it? I've seen them on Ebay and have thought about getting one for another rally project. But they are kind of spendy so I haven't decided yet.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:04 PM
rollingball

Yes, It is the Integy chassis. I got it from RC Planet. Very nice piece to customize. Came in handy to fit my big Turnigy 1800 3S 20C lipos.

This is my second Integy chassis I bought. The other one is in a Stampede 4X2 VXL.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:53 AM
Wish_Mastera

Rollingball, this is a beauty. I dont have heart to take it out from the shelf, If it was mine
How much is the weight? I see on the pictures.. tires are either too soft, or weight is too much.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:59 AM
kaycerc

I see on the pictures.. tires are either too soft, or weight is too much.
I think you're terribly confused, or lack the basic skills to understand what you're looking at.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:31 AM
Wish_Mastera

kaycerc , picture N1. If you think its normal Proline road tires to look like flatten just from own weight... maybe you're right about me. Could be also from shooting angle. Anyway, nice fast conclusions you make from single post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.