Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 02:12 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

wait till you go into FE Boats..
the money just melts from your wallet!
Old 02-25-2010, 03:42 PM
J0EC00L
My Feedback: (3)

Wow,

that's alot to sink into R/C's! I'd say i have over 500 into my MERV. So; yeah, i can see how it gets very costly! Explain to me how the Nitro Revo and E Revo are different, in that the E-REvo needs another 500 to run? Wouldn't you put the same upgrades on the suspension and chassis for both? I can see batteries costing more; but once you've paid for those, multiply how many times you go buy fuel - vs- how many times you use .15 (cents) of electricity to charge your battery? I see many Lipos in the 100$ range that are very nice. I'm looking for a decent used ERevo i can snag in the 300 range. I recently saw a roller go for less than 300... wish i would have pulled the trigger!

For now, i will be set on my MERV - No more need for ordering parts and sinking money! Now i just need to properly set it up and tweak this and that. I should be good to go for replacement parts too - since i have many of the factory parts with little wear, and the wasted money on aftermarket parts that i have realized i didn't need! thanks thetoyz... you suck for lieing! stronger my hind quarters!
Here's a list of what i have either wasted or smartly invested in. Understand i am not much of a smart man, except when i'm in my uniform - then i am supposed to be educated!

Multiple bodies - Stock, VW beetle, High flow
Factory shocks, GPM chrome shocks, and now the TRaxxas HArd GTR's
Multiple springs - progressive, chrome, black, tan, and green
Steel pushrods/turnbuckles and the traxxas pushrods and toe links
Multiple pinions (19, 23, 26, 28, 31)
Multiple spurs (45, 50, 55)
Multiple rockers - factory and the Hot Racing progressive alluminum
RPM Arms
Extra complete differentials
pair of 7.4 2S 30C lipos
pair of 11.1 3S 20C lipos
Pro-line Beadlocks with Roads
Pro-line beadlocks with Hawgs

So, aside from the stock parts already on the R/C i have plenty of extra in case something breaks; as well, i have a great idea of what i truly should have bought, versus what i wasted my money on - so if anyone has questions about what they should upgrade -> I'll tell them NOTHING until it breaks! But if it does, go to traxxas first with their hop ups and then look to other companies who manufacture better "proven" parts.

"that's enough Nickelback!!!"

Joe
Old 02-25-2010, 04:36 PM
srt10

It's easy to sink $1,000 each in a FE boat and still not be happy!
I want to build a 7ft+ cat with twin brushless motors on 12s each, that will cost, oh I don't know, maybe 5k?
but I want 80mph out of it!
brushless, nitro, and gas are all fun!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:45 PM
J0EC00L

whew... lotta money there SRT! I think i will stick to just a few R/C's. If i find myself wanting more, i will undoubtedly get rid of a few to acommodate the new habit/hobby. This little line i keep giving the misses "hey babe, i have those extra ones for you or someone else who may want drive one while i'm racing mine", just aren't cutting it anymore!"

Tax returns = more money wasted on parts!
Old 02-25-2010, 05:38 PM
z33guru

Revo 3.3 new, Tower Hobbies $529-$60 coupon =
$469 total
+ $12 gallon of gas
$481 out the door, ready to drive

E-Revo Brushless Ed new, Tower Hobbies $699-$60 coupon =
$639 total
+$20 castle link
+$250 1 set of high quality lipos, or 2-3 sets of decent hobby city lipos and trx connectors (need at least 2 sets to run for more than 20 min w/out going home to charge!)
$909 out the door
Old 02-25-2010, 05:50 PM
srt10

Ok to each their own
lets not smash this thread with a Nitro vs Brushless because each have their own goods and not so goods!
Old 02-25-2010, 05:56 PM
z33guru

Relax dude, its not a bashing of either one. Joe asked for the specifics of why they're priced differently so I explained it. I have both, so I'm not interested in bashing either of them. [8D] I'll agree with the poster from earlier though, a nitro mini-revo would be sweet! so would the tenbol conversion for that matter, but idk how you would keep the wheels on the ground
Old 02-25-2010, 06:08 PM
srt10

well I'm thinking of bying the Tenbol mount to put on a brushed Mini Revo using one of my Copper Head PK2 motors!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:37 PM
z33guru

Vids are a must if you do! [8D]
Old 02-25-2010, 08:15 PM
J0EC00L

Zdouble3 - you're absolutely right! I'm not trying to do a bashing of brushless vs nitro! I was just curious from your experiences of why a brushless big revo ends up costing you double than a nitro. I'm thinkin, after the gas you purchase, and purchase, and purchase - does the price comparison eventually balance out, or is it truly a better investment into nitro, if you are willing to spend time adjusting and tweaking the "fuel to air mixture" until you get it just right?!?

I like the thought of lipos and brushless because i am familiar with them, as well, i am not a huge fan of something that sounds like a mini scooter

no foul intended... my buddy has one and it truly sounds like a mini scooter - we have a miilion of those scooters here on the island and they are annoying as heck! So maybe i am already a bit piturbed by the mere sound of a miniature rice rocket sounding R/C

The flip side is, there are alot of great things about nitro too - you run until you're out of gas, quickly fill up, and go again! No worrying about batteries weakening, motor temps, blah blah blah! so i should also keep an open mind and one day journey into the nitro world! May try on something cheaper, before i invest into a 500$ revo!

As SRT said - to each his own!

I have one last thing to leave you all with and break the mini tension in air...

When people say "hey i don't need to drink to have a good time" I say, yeah great, that's cool; however, why use a rock and flint to start a fire, when they've already invented the lighter!

Have fun bruthas!

Joecool
Old 02-25-2010, 08:55 PM
dacaur

I was into nitro "back in the day" I got a t-maxx the first year they came out. It was awesome... back then electric couldn't touch nitro.... Then due to financial issues I had to sell off all my RC stuff.... Fast forward to about 2 years ago... I was ready to get back into RC..... I jumped in with both feet, remembering my old t-maxx, I bought a losi LST XXL.... It was awesome.... great performance, etc... Then I got a mini e-revo... and suddenly nitro didn't have all that great of performance..... I have since sold off my lst xxl and a t-maxx project I was working on.... Im done with nitro... done fussing with it... one points you made... not having to worry about motor temps.... thats more true of electric than nitro.... if you have to worry about motor temps on an electric, you are pushing the motor too hard, and just need to step down a couple teeth on the spur... nitro you have to worry about temps all the time, every time you drive....

Lipos.... you can get expensive ones, or you can get inexpensive ones.... Im into 1/18th scale stuff right now because you can get batteries so darn cheap... lipos for under $20? nice...... and today's 1/16 e-revo preforms better than yesterdays 1/10 trucks so.....
Old 02-25-2010, 09:43 PM
BigGrump

Better re-check the price of Nitro fuel, much closer to $40 per gallon.

Dennis
Old 02-25-2010, 10:11 PM
z33guru

Maybe where you live. I get mine right down the street at my LHS, and its $12 a gallon.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:17 PM
z33guru

I guess maybe eventually the cost of a Nitro Revo vs an Electric one could become even over time but it would take quite a long time, and remember, batteries lose their charge eventually too. Then they'll have to be replaced. I've never calculated to see how many tanks I get out of a gallon, but it sure seems to last a while with me. And there are some days I just dont feel like fooling with it, thats why I have both but some days I do, and both are a blast. There is a certain learning curve to tuning a nitro but once you get the mechanics of it down its really pretty simple, and you can get it dialed in pretty quickly. Down here in TX, once the idle and lsn are set, I only really mess w/ the HSN, and only when there are big changes in temp.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:24 PM
J0EC00L

Hey guys, i'm about to tape my dirt hawgs - i bought gorilla tape. it should work according to rodentrod...

- fingers crossed

Joe
Old 02-25-2010, 10:47 PM
srt10

If we were to compare a mini nitro vs mini brushless, how long do we think a gallon of fuel would last the mini?
months! lol
I do love the plug and play with my full size Revo, but I also have much more money into it than my Losti 8T.. I bought my Losi used (2 tanks) for $300 and have only put into it $0.00. I have a 1/2 gallon of fuel in my closet just sitting there and that was the biggest reason I bought a nitro again
and I miss the tuning of a nitro and also the smell and sound
And one thing I am looking forward to with the nitro is when I have the nitro motor modded!
Old 02-26-2010, 01:55 AM
doug702
My Feedback: (1)

hey z33 do you mind me asking what brand of fuel you get for 12 bucks a gallon cause the stuff i get is 30 if you get the same kind half price ill pay you to send me a few gallons
Old 02-26-2010, 02:26 AM
domizgood

hello

im new to electric and get confused with so much chancchoicechoice can any 1 sugest some lipos batterys and 240v (uk) chargers i can get as im geting a mini e revo soon but cant be assed with a 6 hour charger
Old 02-26-2010, 04:22 AM
BigGrump

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGHB5&P=ML

$145 for 4 gallons plus hazzmat shipping charges.

You get a good deal in Texas.

Dennis
Old 02-26-2010, 03:05 PM
gforce2148

I have no interest in getting the big E-Revo but for those of you who are I found this package.  It come with the Mamba brushless system and Traxxas 2.4ghz Link Radio system.  Spendy though!!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...4Ghz-Batteries

Old 02-26-2010, 04:33 PM
J0EC00L

Gforce,

I thought the brushless version already comes with the mamba system and 2.4 ghz radio system? maybe that is the setup i keep seeing on cheapbay. So, i'm probably wrong, and the stock may still come with some sort of velion brushless system like our mervs.

Also, what is the big difference in the brushless motors when comparing the KV power? ie. 2200kv, 5400kv, 7200kv? Wouldn't 7200kv seem more powerful? i see these 7000KV brushless motors for 1/18 scale, but for larger 1/8 and 1/10 scales, i see 2000 and 3000KV motors? Maybe it has nothing to do with speed or performance, but if it did, wouldn't you want that hgher KV motor in your bigger R/C?

Someone edumacate (educate) meee

Joe
Old 02-26-2010, 05:21 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: J0EC00L

Gforce,

I thought the brushless version already comes with the mamba system and 2.4 ghz radio system? maybe that is the setup i keep seeing on cheapbay. So, i'm probably wrong, and the stock may still come with some sort of velion brushless system like our mervs.

Also, what is the big difference in the brushless motors when comparing the KV power? ie. 2200kv, 5400kv, 7200kv? Wouldn't 7200kv seem more powerful? i see these 7000KV brushless motors for 1/18 scale, but for larger 1/8 and 1/10 scales, i see 2000 and 3000KV motors? Maybe it has nothing to do with speed or performance, but if it did, wouldn't you want that hgher KV motor in your bigger R/C?

Someone edumacate (educate) meee

Joe
In the bigger trucks and cars you want a motor that is bigger as well..
Neu/Castle has new bigger 17** series motors with kv of 1600 that have even more torque over the 15** series motors for monster trucks
kida like big FE boats you want higher volts with lower kv motor that will produce big Watts.
high kv motors on lower volts will burn up in heavy cars and trucks
Old 02-26-2010, 08:07 PM
brianjskora

New revo vxl has 2.4 ghz for 299.99 on tower. Getting one for my dad or wifeto race, and also will have the 2.4! I've got the $60 coupon so $240 for an extra revo vxl w/ 2.4!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:28 PM
gforce2148

Is that the Traxxas 2.4ghz Link system or their standard 2.4ghz radio??  I am looking at buying another mini-revo for my son this spring and would like to get him a 2.4 radio as well, so we don't have to mess with crystals. Was hoping they would sell a Merv package with the 2.4.  I bought a new Link system on Ebay for $90 for my Merv a couple months ago.

Iono Joe...all I know is my Merv.  lol  The larger Revo is someone else's expertise.  For now I am sticking with the minis. 

I finally broke something!!  Woohoo!  After closer inspection of my Merv from it's last outting at the track I noticed one of the lower right rear A-Arms is cracked.  Looks like I am ordering RPM A-Arm sets this weekend.  Since I definitely have the most fun at the track I will probably slowly replace the suspension (A-Arms, shocks, etc...) with better aftermarket parts so it can perform better and tune my Merv for track conditions.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:56 PM
brianjskora

traxxas link 2.4... http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec..._erevo7107.htm and http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXZDB2EE&P=ML

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.