Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 05:32 AM
Gatorb8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

ORIGINAL: BigGrump

I do not think it advisable to use the torque limiter. I have read it is not right, and lots of people move back to a version that does not have it.

When you look at the software, you can adjust the slope of the throttle and brake curve. I set the throttle curve so it goes from 0% to 20% at a lower slope angle than stock, then have the curve rise sharper so that at 60% into the throttle pull, the curve is up to 80% power then round smoothly so it climbs to 100% power at 100% throttle pull.

What the curve looks like is power comes on gentle from start then has a bulge or dome in the curve through mid range then goes slowly to full throttle. Makes the Merv easy to take off without flipping over all the time, but when going from 20 mph to about 45mph the Merv is extra responsive but not out of control. Makes it so all I have to do is think about what I want and it does it, with gentle smooth trigger pull. Stops the bad habit of giving it too much trigger, or full throttle all the time. As it is setup like this , there is the feeling of unlimited speed and power, but as you approach top speed and finally pull the trigger all the way, the adjusted throttle curve applies more power to the ARC slower, therefore no out of control wheelies at full speed, but plenty of pep for showing off through mid range.

Dennis
ok, I'll can the troque limiter for now
got it on the throttle curve, I'll give that a try, loaded and saved the "BigGrump" curve.....
I got to burn the tires off this one so I can tape the next set and see how that improves the high speed runs
Old 02-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Gatorb8

bumped it up to 100% power and tried your curve, NICE!
could float a slight wheelie at mid throttle for about 100 feet
this thing gets "funner" every day
my neighbors are watching for the crash and burn and so far I'm able to keep it right side up
I like 20% brakes at neutral and 50% brakes set on an expo curve, been able to slow down and turn without flipping
Old 02-03-2011, 09:25 AM
BigGrump

this thing gets "funner" every day

Great......... I did a lot of experimenting to finally get that throttle curve (the fun part) but now don't seem to have any reason to change it.

I have had a lot of success with the HPI wide SS rear 2.2 wheels for a wider stance and using lighter proline street hawg or road rage tires in soft compound. Put together, there is some more resistance to roll over than the dirt hawgs, but dirt hawgs are great too. Just think the HPI SS wheels, with their provided center adapotr is the best wheel choice I could find.

Last, I put about 1/8 inch of fuel tube on the shock shaft inside the rear shocks, which lowers the suspension in the rear enough; takes the droop out of the rear end, resulting in way better cornering manners, better high speed stability and a little improvment in roll over. Just something to think about that is easily undone if you don't like it.

I am happy to hear how you can dazzle the neighbors and not crash or roll over all the time. When working toward those goals, your driving skills improve, instead of only your skills to repair broken parts. Just my opinion, nothing more.

Dennis
Old 02-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Gatorb8

this thing gets ''funner'' every day

Great......... I did a lot of experimenting to finally get that throttle curve (the fun part) but now don't seem to have any reason to change it.

I have had a lot of success with the HPI wide SS rear 2.2 wheels for a wider stance and using lighter proline street hawg or road rage tires in soft compound. Put together, there is some more resistance to roll over than the dirt hawgs, but dirt hawgs are great too. Just think the HPI SS wheels, with their provided center adapotr is the best wheel choice I could find.

Last, I put about 1/8 inch of fuel tube on the shock shaft inside the rear shocks, which lowers the suspension in the rear enough; takes the droop out of the rear end, resulting in way better cornering manners, better high speed stability and a little improvment in roll over. Just something to think about that is easily undone if you don't like it.

I am happy to hear how you can dazzle the neighbors and not crash or roll over all the time. When working toward those goals, your driving skills improve, instead of only your skills to repair broken parts. Just my opinion, nothing more.

Dennis
thanks for the tire tips
do you mean these rims?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXM875&P=FR

can you give me a link to the street hawg and road rage in soft?
I was looking at Tower but saw lots of versions....
road hawg II (no compound mentioned)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDU03&P=7
speed hawg II soft
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDU17&P=7
road rage II (no compound mentioned)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLN12&P=7
thanks!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:46 AM
J0EC00L
My Feedback: (3)

Dennis,

I need to adjust my throttle curve on the rally too. I like the idea behind it, though, the rally doesn't wheely on command, it just darts like a rocket!

I had to create a new board for the stampede. It's an official one. You'll find it easily.

Gatorbait,

Are thrilled about our new coaching staff? I'm actually excited.

Joe
Old 02-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: J0EC00L

Gatorbait,

Are thrilled about our new coaching staff? I'm actually excited.

Joe
hated to see the dynamic duo go but couldn't last forever!
new guy looks good!
Old 02-03-2011, 12:40 PM
BigGrump

thanks for the tire tips
do you mean these rims?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXM875&P=FR

can you give me a link to the street hawg and road rage in soft?
I was looking at Tower but saw lots of versions....
road hawg II (no compound mentioned)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDU03&P=7
speed hawg II soft
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDU17&P=7
road rage II (no compound mentioned)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLN12&P=7
thanks!

All the links you found are correct. The wheels are pretty darn good, the street hawgs state the M2 compound which is correct, but my understanding is the only road rage available is also the M2 compound. So all three are right in my opinion.

I had experimented with a set of HPI tires that are equivalent to the Speed Hawgs and had a choice of harder or softer, and I picked harder as I hoped they would slide a little more, thinking it would help drifting a little and maybe less tendency for roll overs. The hard compound did not work out. I could start a high speed turn in the street at my T intersection, and partially through the turn they would let loose and the Merve would slide straight into the curb at about a 45 degree angle, and once the slide started I could not stop it. My choice was to take them off or drive slow. They are gone now. They were even radial tires that would balloon less. My mistake was in the hard compound. If I had picked the soft ones, I believe they would have turned out to be very good tires, but oh well.

Dennis
Old 02-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Gatorb8

looks like the road rage II and road hawg II are M2, I like the tread looks of the road rage II, think I'll get some
I'm guessing the speed hawg II soft is an all out race tire and will not last as long
thanks!
Old 02-03-2011, 01:57 PM
BigGrump

I'm guessing the speed hawg II soft is an all out race tire and will not last as long
I agree, they are very light weight and thin tread. I think the Road Rage is the best choice for overall street conditions.

Dennis
Old 02-03-2011, 04:52 PM
SAVAGEBANE

Hello everyone, I am new to the mini and the brushless scene. Just got the MERV about 3 weeks ago and the thing is a lot of fun. I am rolling with a stock battery and I am impressed!
My problem is a flashing green light on the esc when I first turn it on. This doesnt happen every time, but when it does the truck wont move. The steering will work but no forward or backward. I have looked through the manual for troubleshooting and the section on flashing lights and I am not understanding what is going on here.
What would cause the steering to work...but not the acceleration? My battery is fully charged, the motor/esc is not hot and there is a tx-rx connection.
To get it to work, i repeatedly turn the esc on and off until it shows red. I will run for a while and then just stop on its own. This truck has about 7packs through it and this problem doesnt make sense to me.
Any input ???
Old 02-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEBANE

Hello everyone, I am new to the mini and the brushless scene. Just got the MERV about 3 weeks ago and the thing is a lot of fun. I am rolling with a stock battery and I am impressed!
My problem is a flashing green light on the esc when I first turn it on. This doesnt happen every time, but when it does the truck wont move. The steering will work but no forward or backward. I have looked through the manual for troubleshooting and the section on flashing lights and I am not understanding what is going on here.
What would cause the steering to work...but not the acceleration? My battery is fully charged, the motor/esc is not hot and there is a tx-rx connection.
To get it to work, i repeatedly turn the esc on and off until it shows red. I will run for a while and then just stop on its own. This truck has about 7packs through it and this problem doesnt make sense to me.
Any input ???
honestly, I don't know
I would call Castle
Old 02-03-2011, 06:21 PM
J0EC00L
My Feedback: (3)

Hey guys,

Got some really neat news you can try if you want a quasi locking diff in your merv. Take the diff apart, pull out the fluid and stuff pieces of paper towel. Pack it very tight and reassemble. Now, when the merv gets stuck, one wheel wi start to spin and then the paper towel inside will grind into the gears and then the gears will "lock". Read about it in another forum and he said it works everytime. Now, when you want to go back to non locking diffs, it's a matter of removing paper towel and refilling the fluid.

It's a better way to achieve the locking diff without using JB weld and ruining a diff.

May want to give it a try, especially on the new mini-summit.

Joe
Old 02-03-2011, 06:27 PM
gforce2448
My Feedback: (12)

Savagebane,

A blinking green LEDmeans your throttle trim is not set correctly. So that is probably why your steering works but sometimes your throttle doesn't. Try going through the steps to reprogram your ESC, that should do it.

Gatorb8,

I had a MMP in my Merv for a while but haven't gotten around to playing with the program. After reading yours and Big Grump's posts I opened the program today and started adjusting curves. I will have to load the curves I created when my Merv is fixed. This is going to be fun!!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:19 PM
SAVAGEBANE

Thanks Gforce I will do that tonight and see what happens.
Gatorb8...i didnt even know the stock system was made by Castle...interesting
Old 02-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Krazy Chicken

it isn't, the vxl stuff is made by traxxas. the only vehicles the mamba systems are in are the e-revo bl and emaxx bl

Old 02-03-2011, 07:59 PM
BigGrump

I had a MMP in my Merv for a while but haven't gotten around to playing with the program. After reading yours and Big Grump's posts I opened the program today and started adjusting curves. I will have to load the curves I created when my Merv is fixed. This is going to be fun!!
That sounds great to me. I hope you are as pleased with the curve as I have been. I find it really fun to do the fine tuning.

Dennis
Old 02-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Gatorb8

oops! ment call Traxxas!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:31 AM
Gatorb8

this thing gets ''funner'' every day
Last, I put about 1/8 inch of fuel tube on the shock shaft inside the rear shocks, which lowers the suspension in the rear enough; takes the droop out of the rear end, resulting in way better cornering manners, better high speed stability and a little improvment in roll over. Just something to think about that is easily undone if you don't like it

Dennis
I'm not following this, are you saying take the shock apart and put it inside? if so, seems that would lower the car a bit under high tension in the springs, right?
this is good for road but bad for off road?
Old 02-04-2011, 05:40 AM
Gatorb8

my stock shocks are starting to leak at the shaft, should I fix them or upgrade? if upgrade, what do you guys like?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: Gatorb8

my stock shocks are starting to leak at the shaft, should I fix them or upgrade? if upgrade, what do you guys like?
turns out I have 4 of these:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXKN1&P=7
so if I get some of these
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXKN6&P=M
and maybe seal kit, keep the plastic endcaps, they any good?
or am I better off with a complete set from some after market company?

I'm guessing what killed them was running in sand and sucking sand into the seals....????dunno
Old 02-04-2011, 07:06 AM
BigGrump

I'm not following this, are you saying take the shock apart and put it inside? if so, seems that would lower the car a bit under high tension in the springs, right?
For on road, generally you want the car lower. The shock mod with fuel tube will lower the car by reducing the extension length of the shock. This is more powerful than sway bars or just about anything else you to reduce body roll and traction rolling. It takes the "droop" out of the suspension.

The "droop" is the amount the shocks compress when you sit the model on the ground. Lift the rear end and you will see the shocks extend. Watch them as you set it back down. The amount the suspension compresses with it's own weight is called droop and is a good place to start. If the shock's compress about 1/8 inch when you do this, then start with a 1/8 inch piece of fuel tube.

Take the shock apart and remove the bottom eye mount from the shock shaft. Pull the shock shaft out the top of the shock. Slip the fuel tube piece on the shaft and push up to the piston. Re-assemble the shock and re-fill with 50 or 60 weight shock fluid. When you now set the model on the ground you will notice as the wheels touch the ground and you let the weight of the model push down, the suspension is already at the droop position, and the shocks did not compress much at all. The suspension then works normally, but the limited shock extension, stops the chassis from lifting up as high as it did before the fuel tubing.

What happens is when you corner on asphalt, the outside wheel of the chassis is not allowed to extend as far as it did before and keeps the car much more level and body roll between the wheels is greatly reduced, much more than even sway bars can doi.

I got satisfactory results by doing only the rear shocks, but even more control can be obtained by doing the front shocks also. With this technique you can lower the chassis to any point you want.

This is a common chassis tuning technique for on road cars, and even used for off road dirt tracks. Normally you want full extension for off road jumping etc. so limiting this to on road use for the Merv is probably best.

I also have a brush less 2WD stampede for the grandchildren, and it easily traction rolled when driven in the street. I did this to the rear shocks and now you can drive the Stampede at any speed in the street and give it full turn and full brakes at the same time and it will spin out. It is almost impossible to traction roll it over, and the suspension is still fine for the front yard grass and banging around in front of the house, but off road jumping it would not be so good.

Dennis
Old 02-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Gatorb8

For on road, generally you want the car lower. The shock mod with fuel tube will lower the car by reducing the extension length of the shock. This is more powerful than sway bars or just about anything else you to reduce body roll and traction rolling. It takes the ''droop'' out of the suspension.

The ''droop'' is the amount the shocks compress when you sit the model on the ground. Lift the rear end and you will see the shocks extend. Watch them as you set it back down. The amount the suspension compresses with it's own weight is called droop and is a good place to start. If the shock's compress about 1/8 inch when you do this, then start with a 1/8 inch piece of fuel tube.

Take the shock apart and remove the bottom eye mount from the shock shaft. Pull the shock shaft out the top of the shock. Slip the fuel tube piece on the shaft and push up to the piston. Re-assemble the shock and re-fill with 50 or 60 weight shock fluid. When you now set the model on the ground you will notice as the wheels touch the ground and you let the weight of the model push down, the suspension is already at the droop position, and the shocks did not compress much at all. The suspension then works normally, but the limited shock extension, stops the chassis from lifting up as high as it did before the fuel tubing.

What happens is when you corner on asphalt, the outside wheel of the chassis is not allowed to extend as far as it did before and keeps the car much more level and body roll between the wheels is greatly reduced, much more than even sway bars can doi.

I got satisfactory results by doing only the rear shocks, but even more control can be obtained by doing the front shocks also. With this technique you can lower the chassis to any point you want.

This is a common chassis tuning technique for on road cars, and even used for off road dirt tracks. Normally you want full extension for off road jumping etc. so limiting this to on road use for the Merv is probably best.

I also have a brush less 2WD stampede for the grandchildren, and it easily traction rolled when driven in the street. I did this to the rear shocks and now you can drive the Stampede at any speed in the street and give it full turn and full brakes at the same time and it will spin out. It is almost impossible to traction roll it over, and the suspension is still fine for the front yard grass and banging around in front of the house, but off road jumping it would not be so good.

Dennis
got it, thanks!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Gatorb8

any preferance on upgrades shocks?
Old 02-04-2011, 12:52 PM
BigGrump

I personally think the stock shocks are OK., Traxxas has some upograded shafts etc. I believe just a rebuild kit replacing O rings and rubber parts is enough, but I am not experienced with aftermarket shocks to actually know.

Dennis
Old 02-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Gatorb8

yeah, I bought a rebuild kit today
when I did all my shocks I was surprised to see they were all down on oil like it leaked out slowly
these from Traxxas look like the same end plastick parts and seals, not sure they would be any better....
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXSD3&P=7

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.