Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 AM
gforce2448
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

It wasn't me, I still have the original servos on both my Merv and Rally. From what I have seen and heard though the newer Mini Traxxas models are having alot of servo failures. It is the same 2080 model but for some reason they are made cheaper or something. I just traded my Merv away but I had it for 4 yrs, with 2.2 tires and 1/10 BL system all with the same servo. So obviously there is something going on.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Mpower25

ORIGINAL: J0EC00L

Mpower,
You're gonna want a hitec metal gear servo. Yes there is a direct fit. Ask skora or GForce, I know one of them ran theirs with one. I had one in mine, just can't remember the model. I think it ended in a 25?? Just make sure to get the metal gear servo, high torque!

Night and day compared to the traxxas. Just know that I think only a handful of hitec servos are waterproof... I could be wrong though, as I haven't done my research of recent, so double check to be sure.

Also. When it comes to upgrading your esc - the sidewinder by castle is perfect. You could put a mamba max pro. But it's pretty much overkill for the mini e Revo. Stick to a 1/10 esc! Unless............ You install the tenbol motor mount and go with a 1/8 size motor. Then you'll want the mamba max pro! But at that point, your pretty much asking to break everything on your merv.

Joe
thanks for the advice but the stock vxl is very fine for me.

you didn;t have to modified nothing to fit? somebody can tell me the excact model please.

thanks
Old 02-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Mpower25

people say the best is the hitec 25mg... wil see...
Old 02-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Wish_Mastera

This is my newest setup. I removed the MMax combo, its absolutely insane to use it for this tiny model. Currently I equipt my MERV with 4800kv 70A motor and 100A ESC on 2s2p 2200mAh 30-40C batteries. Tried this combo only inside my house and it looks like crazy too. Will see for how long will handle this power, when I go outside and hit the throttle.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Mpower25

ORIGINAL: Wish_Mastera

This is my newest setup. I removed the MMax combo, its absolutely insane to use it for this tiny model. Currently I equipt my MERV with 4800kv 70A motor and 100A ESC on 2s2p 2200mAh 30-40C batteries. Tried this combo only inside my house and it looks like crazy too. Will see for how long will handle this power, when I go outside and hit the throttle.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:24 PM
that1guy64

Hey everyone!

I've posted on this board a while back about some battery issues, but now that I have a new MERV I figured I could post here too I've owned a Losi Speed-T for a year now and learned a lot about it, but this is my first Traxxas.

I saw it in a hobby store a few weeks ago and went online and got everything I needed for it for about $350. After some dremelling on the battery compartments I was good to go!

MERV (brushless)
2x Turnigy 2s 2200mah LiPos
Parallel wire harness
Dynamite Banana Traxxas charging cable for Dynamite Passport Ultra charger

When I got it I knew the batteries probably wouldn't fit - unfortunately one of the batteries was probably half a mm longer than the other too. With the compartments being already pretty tight, all I could do was sand down the ends to widen it a bit. I also had to cut off the end of the door where the cables come out. Looks good now! Although it's quite a pile of wires where it all connects under the shell.

with all that said - I haven't even had a chance to take it out yet. I'm waiting for the snow to melt (which it has been) before I beat on it and see what it can do. Based on some replies in this read and initial reviews online it looks like if I want to stand a chance at the dirt track I'll want to invest in the center differential.

I'm sure I'll end up busting a few parts (A-arms probably that will be replaced with RPM A-arms) , but is there anything else you'd suggest for a casual racer? Everything seems overly-plastic. The only way I'm going to learn about this is to replace parts and taking it apart

EDIT: forgot one more question - Is the current diff pretty durable in off-road conditions? I had problems with my Speed-T (because it's meant for the road) blowing out the plastic locker diff gear. I replaced it with an aluminum diff gear and turned it into a ball diff, which fixed it quite well. Should I expect any problems like that with the MERV?
Old 02-20-2012, 03:30 AM
Wish_Mastera

Today I tried this setup. Its fine, fast enough with this motor. Temps were all good. Problem was with botoming out. Still very heavy setup. Currently I have summit springs at front 2.78 rate and rear 2.92 with 50wt oil (if I remember right) On front its ok, but rear end sits low, even with hardest springs. Any idea how to rise it and fix bottoming out?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:59 AM
gforce2448
My Feedback: (12)

I had that problem with my Merv running at the track and jumping. So I installed front rockers in the back as well. Since the front rockers are longer it will force the suspension up.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:43 AM
hghflyrjd1

Whats new here guys..Its been a while
Old 03-21-2012, 07:33 PM
J0EC00L
My Feedback: (3)

Hey guys,

Wondering if any of you have a stock vxl3m lying around? I know many install a castle or hobby wing esc with higher amp, but I actually am looking for one to use with my mini 8ight. The stock esc tends to run a little hotter as well as the motor. I really need a mamba micro pro esc to go with my cm-26 motor; but for the short time, I can use a stock vxl 3m which is on every brushless 1/16 traxxas model out there

Pm me

Joe
Old 03-28-2012, 12:56 PM
cheech4

hello all, newbie here. just picked up a mini revo vxl in black and blue. been out of the hobby for a while sold everything but always wanted a mini. and the revo was for me. I already am set up with Lipo so If anyone has any input of what upgrades i should buy right off the batt please feel free to share.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Wish_Mastera

Hello, some updates from me.... First, awesome little model. I really have fun driving it. After I upgraded to RPM hubs and carriers and changed the stripped diff I dont have any major problem. On other side I want to change the diffs oil and dont know what to use. Stock are SAE 30.000W and I have Hobao Hyper diff oil 5000wt, 3000wt and 1000wt and some shock oil Team assosiated 30 cst and 80cst. Which one is close to stock oil and how can I compare 3 different brands in 3 different units?

Best regards!
Old 03-30-2012, 04:09 PM
cheech4

thank you, if im mistaken isnt the diff a metal geared diff? how did u manage to strip it? also thank you on the hubs and carrier info, rpm products are awesome will do. how about the servo? i had see a few people change the servo. is it neccassary? what size servo do they use? i have a standard high torque MG futaba 3050 and a smaller high performance mg one also.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:07 AM
Wish_Mastera

Yes, its metal. I got my second hand MERV with already stripped pinion and ring gears. Changed with used ones, but even after shimming, they wear out fast. Now I have brand new pinion and ring and will see how long will last.
About servo... mine has already very bad disturbance. It was used in sand and sea water from previous owner and maybe its working time is gone. I'll buy a cheap mini servo from HK. We use one in my friend's mini slash. Working great for the money. [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16265]HK15148 Analog Servo[/link]
Here 2 videos
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btozvL3pNAs&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4smlfDk7mEk&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Old 03-31-2012, 06:32 PM
hound54

Hey wish mastera
What tires are you running on that?

Old 03-31-2012, 11:38 PM
Wish_Mastera

Tires and rims are from 1/16 monster beatle from Hobbyking. They are smaller and narrow then stock tires, but the difference is not that big. You should get also hexes from there and cut shorter shafts, so you can mont them. But if you dont have problem with money, there is no point of doing all this. Stock tires are 10 times better.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:25 PM
jhsmith87

i just got the mini erevo yesterday and i am running all stock right now. i have the shock set where the car sits as low as it can, i run on the street mostly. but i keep rolling it over alot.

i have read alot about getting stiffer springs would change some things but i cant seem to find the right answer i am looking for. what cani do as far as softer or harder shock springs to prevent rollover as much as possible.

also i have the 2 pinion gears it come with but i believe my spur gear is almost stripped is there any suggestions on what tooth spur gear i should replace it with to get more speed with out it being so much that it could burn something up.

i am wanting to ease into the speed i know this thing can do so i would like something for a spur that will make it a litte faster than stock and not so fast that i cant use one of the two pinions it come with to gear it back to a more controable speed. any help please
Old 04-24-2012, 11:33 PM
a.style

Hey guys, haven't been on in a while. Mostly been working on my 1:1 and when I did get time to run, I ran my summit cause my merv has been out of commission due to stripped diffs. 

Jhsmith - I've heard the center diff helps with cornering, though I am uncertain if it will reduce rollovers (something I still suffer from), but I have read quite a bit that it does help keep all 4 wheels planted. For the spur I guess it really depends on what types of surfaces you plan on running on and what equipment you currently run. If it's the stock vxl and mainly pavement, a 50t would do just fine with the 23t pinion. The stock vxl setup runs into heat issues when running on grass (short grass is ok for short periods), sand, fine loose gravel, etc. I am still quite new to this myself and have been MIA for the past while so someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Anyways, recently I replaced the rear ring diff gear as I stripped mine after running the sv2/4600kv setup. While I was at it I ripped apart the truck and cleaned/oiled everything (shocks, axles, front bulkhead, etc). When putting everything back together and giving it a little test run, only my left side wheels would spin under no load, low speed conditions (ie held in my hand). The right side wheels would just barely spin at half throttle, i didnt dare go to full throttle. Have I pooched something when putting it back together?? It's quite frustrating as I've taken it apart twice now trying to figure out where I went wrong with the diffs. I'm thinking I just may need to shim my diffs but it could also be something else, anyone ever heard anything like this?

Old 06-04-2012, 10:42 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Hello... Anybody still using this thread?

A friend and I took out our minis the other day in a big empty car park and mine was rolling over like crazy while his was planted the whole time. He was running these tiny little 1.5" Integy wheels that were so small he had to reduce his steering throw so the wheels didn't hit the a-arms at full lock, I don't know if it was his small wheels or reduced steering but his wouldn't flip over no matter what, he didn't have the same turning circle as mine but if I tried to turn at anything faster then a slow crawl mine would end up on it's back. After a bad tumble I popped a pillow ball so we took turns drifting his around where there was some sand over the bitumen, again no tip overs, it just slid around like it was made for it. He also had stiffer springs than me so that could be a factor as well.

I'm not real happy with my RPM axle carriers, it seems every other time I drive it (which isn't much) my pillow balls pop out, I also have the same problem with the RPM carriers on my 1/10 E-Revo. I'm going to go back to stock for now and see how they go but when I was using them the pillow ball retainers would pop out, I might try out STRC aluminum carriers if I still have the same problems.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:03 AM
jhsmith87

stripped my rear diff today, it was my fourth run with the mmp 5700kv i have the front shimmed from when i changed the bulkhead but never shimmed the rear. 
but they both have shims on the input gear of the diff and on the traxxas forums no one knew about that but it was there stock. so my question is. when shimming the rear diff today should i shim the input gear as well as the ring gear
Old 06-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Kenny,
The small tires makes a huge difference in not rolling. They lower the center of gravity. And yes, reducing the steering throw will also help a lot.

JHsmith, sorry, I don't know the answer to your question.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:55 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Hello, I've been a long time member here and know the search function and how to browse through the forums, but I do not have the time to do so.

Can someone tell me what the best, most reliable, and longest lasting (life of the battery, not run time) nimh battery for the MERV is? I purchased 6 1700mah batteries quite some time ago from FastRCBatteries, only used them a handful of times, and now they will not charge fully, do not hold a charge for crap, and a few trigger a "circuit error" message on my Duratrax Onyx 230, which I have set at 1.5amp for 6 cells at 1700mah.

I have Team Orion 5-cell hump packs for my nitro cars/trucks and they have lasted years, with no special treatment; they get used, recharged, and have sat on the bench for a long time and still recharge and hold a charge when I come around.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:58 PM
MPevine11

what kind of lipo batteries should i buy for a 1/16 e-revo Vxl?

also what kind of upgrades are good?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:20 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

Hello, I've been a long time member here and know the search function and how to browse through the forums, but I do not have the time to do so.

Can someone tell me what the best, most reliable, and longest lasting (life of the battery, not run time) nimh battery for the MERV is? I purchased 6 1700mah batteries quite some time ago from FastRCBatteries, only used them a handful of times, and now they will not charge fully, do not hold a charge for crap, and a few trigger a ''circuit error'' message on my Duratrax Onyx 230, which I have set at 1.5amp for 6 cells at 1700mah.

I have Team Orion 5-cell hump packs for my nitro cars/trucks and they have lasted years, with no special treatment; they get used, recharged, and have sat on the bench for a long time and still recharge and hold a charge when I come around.
you are comparing apples to oranges here
merv pulls 25amps
your nitros electronics pull probably somewhere along 1-3 tops, and not constant.
25amps will kill nimh's of that size. your best bet would have been to run them in parallel to ease the burden on each pack.
NiMh's are not up to brushell use IMO
Hell NiMh's are not up to use in a good chunk of brushed models now a days.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:43 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Hi. I didnt know this thread existed....... I've had a MERV but its broken right now. I killed the servo. i'm thinking about trading it for a nitro Revo.... is it a good idea?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.