Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

OFFICIAL 1/16 VXL Slash thread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:13 PM
dacaur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL 1/16 VXL Slash thread.

ORIGINAL: combatman

Can anyone comment on the durability of the mini Slash? Also, how is the stability during jumping with only one pack on one side of the chassis?
Its really more balanced with one battery than with two. With just one you put it on the opposite side as the motor/esc, so its pretty balanced. That said, I havent noticed any balance problems with my meini e-revo with two stock packs in paralell...
Old 07-08-2009, 10:05 AM
peelin_out

yeah, I noticed that after driving it.. mine seems more balanced with one battery than two.. the thing I am not liking so much on the slash is the dirt the wheels kicks up goes all over the inside of the car under the shell whereas with the revo's body keeps the dirt off the internals.. which isn't too big of a deal, but still and all, I'd rather keep the dirt out if I can..

edit: I am playing with the idea of getting a pair of revo springs, the orange stripe ones (1.72 or something) for the rear of my slash for street driving.. just for grins.. it seems really squatty in the rear even with the black stripe springs and 50wt.. I might need to try 70wt oil I guess... the stock shocks are already sticking after only a couple of dirt sessions.. like I press the body on the right and it sticks there kind of.. I wd40'd all of the a-arm pivot areas and other spots with suspension movement which did help... but I am looking forward to some good aftermarket shocks and a few sets of stiffer springs to play with.. anyways..
Old 07-08-2009, 02:50 PM
haasjj

I have read thru the thread but I still have a couple of questions.

1 The truck is fast I get that, what gear are you using the 28 or 31? The 28 came installed on mine and I am trying to decide if I should change it to the 31 before I run the truck.

2 Has anyone tried 2X 3s lipo's in series to get a total of 22.2 volts? I have not found any thing about the voltage the ESC can handle. I am planning on buying a set of lipo's from Max-Amps I am just not sure what pack I should get a set of 3s 1500mah or a 2s 2200mah.

3 Has anyone had a chance to race there trucks yet?

4 Does anyone know of a upgrade for the toe link so I could adjust the toe in/out? I see Traxxas has one but wow expensive upgrade.

OOPS I guess I should have read before I posted the 31 comes stock on the motor the 28t came in the box.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:57 PM
peelin_out

1) if you plan on running dual packs or 3s lipos you should drop to the 23t pinion unless you are just doing speed runs.. wait, I think the additional pinion the car comes with is a smaller one... I thought it was 23T but it might be 26T.

2) that would probably melt or blow something up... I think running 4s is about as much as you want to attempt. If you want to get 2x 3s run them in parallel for increased run times.. the car is a damn rocket on my SMC 3s lipo.. I don't see how or why you would need more power than that unless you are just doing suicide speed runs.. Plus, with the body on the car the front of it picks up (the rear squats on throttle) and the underside of the body collects air like a sail and the car lifts off the ground once you approach 45 or 50mph or so... so anything more than 3s is going to be hard to use practically on the slash..

3) haven't raced mine yet

4) nothing official, but check this thread: http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=483325
Old 07-08-2009, 03:17 PM
haasjj

peelin-out You are right about one thing. I just read on Max Amps web site not to use the 3s lipo in series or damage will occur to your system. I didn't read that before.

I don't know what the other pinion is but from the way I am reading the manual I am pretty sure its the 28t. It says to do 50mph runs use the 28t so i am assuming that's the spare pinion. Check page 23.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:19 PM
peelin_out

Ahh, ok.. so the stock must be 31t... I have to get used to these new pinion sizes.. I am used to 15t, 14t.. these are flippin huge.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:25 PM
haasjj

ORIGINAL: peelin_out

Ahh, ok.. so the stock must be 31t... I have to get used to these new pinion sizes.. I am used to 15t, 14t.. these are flippin huge.
Yeah me to. To run something bigger than a 16t in my buggy would be nuts and for years I have used smaller pinions but the gearing is different in these trucks than stuff I have had in the past.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:56 PM
haasjj

OK just ran my Slash VXL for the first time on pavement I have not ran it on dirt yet. Wow stock gearing with 2 6cell nimh packs is plenty fast, I should add that they were run parallel to get longer run time and not speed I will be trying a series setup soon . A couple of things need to be changed though, heavier shock oil in the rear shocks, a bit stiffer springs on the rear, that stuff has been said earlier in the thread. The new ones I'm adding are, sway bars or anti roll bars what ever you want to call them and also the truck also needs better braking it takes way to long to stop. Other than those few items I can't wait to put it on a track and race.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:00 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: haasjj
2 Has anyone tried 2X 3s lipo's in series to get a total of 22.2 volts? I have not found any thing about the voltage the ESC can handle. I am planning on buying a set of lipo's from Max-Amps I am just not sure what pack I should get a set of 3s 1500mah or a 2s 2200mah.
It says in the manual that the esc will not work and may be damaged over 20 volts....
Old 07-08-2009, 06:06 PM
haasjj

ORIGINAL: dacaur

It says in the manual that the esc will not work and may be damaged over 20 volts....
Thanks for letting me know. Where did you read that I was looking for it but I skimmed a few parts of the manual so I missed it.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:09 PM
peelin_out

yeah, at 20+v I think it will sound like the Wicked Witch of the West when confronted with water... "I'mmmm mmmmmmelllllting!!!"

the slash is fun in the dirt and on a track I think it would be amazing... but I am likely going to end up with a mini e-revo for more pavement bashing as I can't get to dirt fast all the time.. I think I will sell my MRC (which is new and I never use) for to fund the e-revo.. in the mean time, I am working on getting the rear of the slash more stiff for pavement action.. I adjusted the camber of the rear wheels so they are pretty much perpendicular to the ground at ideal ride height and that did help quite a bit on the tippiness of the slash on pavement.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:09 PM
haasjj

Where are you guys finding spare parts or upgrades? Tower does not have anything yet and A Main is either sold out or something.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:18 PM
peelin_out

www.thetoyz.com has some stuff... also on ebay, seller toad toys has some things...
Old 07-08-2009, 09:30 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: dacaur

Thanks for letting me know. Where did you read that I was looking for it but I skimmed a few parts of the manual so I missed it.
Color manual, page 16, sidebar.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 PM
peelin_out

yeah, I found it also.. it goes on to say "max peak input is 12.6v lipo and 18v nimh".. kind of strange.. I guess they want to advise people against going higher than a 3s lipo (fully charged 3s = 12.6v)..

ooo, these look neeto

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Mini-Inferno-4
Old 07-08-2009, 09:56 PM
haasjj

I found it now thank you for the info.

One other thing though does any know if Sportwerks wheels for the chaos will fit traxxas cars and the slash. I broke a lower A arm and need to order parts so I figure I will order race wheels and new springs. I just can't get everything I want like a center diff and the adjustable links. Or does Kyosho use the same size. Links below.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Yellow-4-Chaos
with these tires
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...1-18th-Buggy-2
Old 07-08-2009, 09:59 PM
peelin_out

those Kyosho MI wheels will work.. I have them on my 18T and they fit.. I think anything with that size hex fitting will work..

edit: oooo these look nice

Old 07-08-2009, 10:10 PM
haasjj

I kinda thought so but I was not sure if that size wheel hex was still common and common with the smaller trucks. Thanks I'll give them a try and let everyone know if they fit.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:22 PM
dacaur

yeah, I found it also.. it goes on to say ''max peak input is 12.6v lipo and 18v nimh''.. kind of strange.. I guess they want to advise people against going higher than a 3s lipo (fully charged 3s = 12.6v)..
They just say 3 cell lipo because it only has a low voltage cutoff for 2 cell and 3 cell. 4 cell lipo packs are about the same voltage as 12 nimh cells, and people have successfully used 4 cell's. You just need to use an external low voltage cutoff device if you go 4 cell, also watch the temps, since you will have longer runtimes than with 12 nimh cells.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:20 PM
peelin_out

I kinda thought so but I was not sure if that size wheel hex was still common and common with the smaller trucks. Thanks I'll give them a try and let everyone know if they fit.

WHOA!! stop the presses.. sorry man, it was my 1/10th touring wheels which fit the SLASH, not the Kyosho wheels.. I hope you didn't buy them yet. sorry. gah! those Kyoshos won't even fit over the axle studs..

edit: sorry man.. I think I need a time out.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:13 AM
haasjj

WHOA!! stop the presses.. sorry man, it was my 1/10th touring wheels which fit the SLASH, not the Kyosho wheels.. I hope you didn't buy them yet. sorry. gah! those Kyoshos won't even fit over the axle studs..

edit: sorry man.. I think I need a time out.
Well you were a bit late and I didn't check back right away, but I think they will still work. I was doing some checking around and for what its worth I was reading the wheel hex's are 12mm for both if the axle is a different size, well that's an easy fix with either a drill or a reamer. I guess I'll find out.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:05 PM
peelin_out

the hex fitting looks bigger also.. my 10th scale touring wheels fit perfect... I thought I had tried the ones from my 18T but it was those... I hope they work out for you none the less.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:59 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my new double black springs in the mail today....still waiting for the 60wt shock oil,Might give the new springs a try with the stock shock oil.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:08 AM
peelin_out

I am going to the LHS today to get some 60wt for the rears and 50wt for the fronts.. my shocks are kind of crapping out on me though already.. well, they need to be cleaned.. when I roll the car's suspension to the right or left it sticks now.. I have oiled up all the joints so it's the socks which aren't sliding well any more.. I guess I could get the coated shock shafts and alum housings.. but I was kind of hoping for a whole alum shock kit to come out soon..
Old 07-11-2009, 06:31 PM
peelin_out

I put one of my unused AE radios on the slash and like that a lot better... the steering sensitivity was too extreme with the QT.. I think I can live with this for a while.. I have 60wt and the rears and 40wt in the fronts.. both black stripe springs.. the car feels pretty good now.. might want to drop a level of stiffness in the front..

heh heh.. I said stiffness.. heh heh.. cool.. boooiiing.. heh heh..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.