Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

New to Mini LST2....what now??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:43 PM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Mini LST2....what now??

My wife bought me a new Mini LST2 yesterday for our anniversary and now I'm trying to find a list of the typical things to 1) worry about 2) replace before it breaks 3) expect to break no matter what. I've seen the Exotek single servo conversion and I may go for that in the future, but right now I'm more just looking to see what parts I should expect to keep on hand for a while.

Also, I think I have my problem figured out, but I'm not sure. Last night when I was running the truck, I would go full throttle for a couple of seconds (sometimes less) and then it would stop moving and a red light would start flashing on the ESC. I believe that I figured out that my battery wasn't as fully charged as I thought, but is there something else that I should look at as well??

Thanks in advance,
Beardking.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:30 PM
wheelykingboy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: New to Mini LST2....what now??

servos are gonna frie and ive had trouble with the steering links snappin off and axles snap
Old 09-01-2009, 08:48 PM
vwlippy

The blinking light is your ESC overheating. Do whatever you can to keep your truck cool. And yes... the steering servos WILL go bad quickly.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:03 PM
beardking

Any suggestions on how to keep the esc cool so it doesn't keep shutting down and I can continue enjoying my truck?

Also, is it common for the spur gear on these things to be out of round. Or, more specifically, the whole in the spur gear is out of round.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:35 PM
garry1970

ORIGINAL: beardking

Any suggestions on how to keep the esc cool so it doesn't keep shutting down and I can continue enjoying my truck?

Also, is it common for the spur gear on these things to be out of round. Or, more specifically, the whole in the spur gear is out of round.
Are you running in grass? if it's a bone stock truck you really shouldn't be haveing thermal issues. I have one that is modded and will tell you from experience they are made to run in the dirt etc. running in grass will give you issues.
as for servos there are many more options than just the exotek upgrade to upgrade the servos from stock, search this site and you will find lots of advice on different options.
I have never had spur gear issues like that personally.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:39 PM
beardking

ORIGINAL: garry1970

Are you running in grass? if it's a bone stock truck you really shouldn't be haveing thermal issues. I have one that is modded and will tell you from experience they are made to run in the dirt etc. running in grass will give you issues.
as for servos there are many more options than just the exotek upgrade to upgrade the servos from stock, search this site and you will find lots of advice on different options.
Well, I've been trying to run it in grass, but it doesn't like it at all. That's where I get the most shut downs. On pavement, no problem, but if I run it across my front yard from one side to the other, it shuts itself off just about every time. Which really bites because one of the reasons I wanted it was to play with my dogs with (in the back yard, which is much larger). The first night I had it, once I finished charging the stock battery (@ 1.1 amps, probably should have done the first few at .2 amps), I was running it on a little league baseball field and it kept shutting down. I think that had more to do with not properly charging the battery.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Go-Zilla

1) worry about
The 2 servo, both front/rear differentials, and there is a little plastic gear in the center gear box, also the CVD shafts they bend quite easy when the wheels got hit.

2) replace before it breaks
None, until something breaks. Otherwise you might be spending money you don't need to spend.

3) expect to break no matter what.
The servo, differentials. But keep the truck weight light, don't dump a bunch of money upgrading metal parts.

I had the "Exotek single servo" kit. If I would do it again, I would want to try replacing the servos with the JR brand instead. The Exotek added lots of weight to my truck which means heat up faster, hurt the differentials and gears more, etc, etc.

You must be running on grass, or hauling your kids around the house with that thing ?! Otherwise it usually won't thermal that easy, not on this truck. Check these threads, many people contributed and lots of info:

http://www.beatyourtruck.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=65

Have Fun !
Old 09-01-2009, 10:47 PM
beardking

ORIGINAL: Go-Zilla

You must be running on grass, or hauling your kids around the house with that thing ?! Otherwise it usually won't thermal that easy, not on this truck. Check these threads, many people contributed and lots of info:

Have Fun !
Hah, funny you linked to that. If you look at the first thread there, you might see a similarity to this one. That's me over there trying to get the same info.

And yep, trying to run it on grass. I'm a little disappointed that this is a problem considering I can run my RC18MT all over my back yard with my dogs chasing it without any problem.

Oh, and that's a definite NO on hauling the kids around. Those things aren't allowed in my house (except me, I'm the only kid allowed around here )
Old 09-01-2009, 10:51 PM
garry1970

+1 to what go zilla said.

I modded mine like mad but only after I broke it.

1) worry about
The 2 servo, both front/rear differentials, and there is a little plastic gear in the center gear box, also the CVD shafts they bend quite easy when the wheels got hit.

2) replace before it breaks
None, until something breaks. Otherwise you might be spending money you don't need to spend.

3) expect to break no matter what.
The servo, differentials. But keep the truck weight light, don't dump a bunch of money upgrading metal parts.

I had the ''Exotek single servo'' kit. If I would do it again, I would want to try replacing the servos with the JR brand instead. The Exotek added lots of weight to my truck which means heat up faster, hurt the differentials and gears more, etc, etc.

Have Fun !
Old 09-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Go-Zilla

Lol we are too busy playing with our mini e-revo so no one reply. Lots of us gave up or sold our MLST/MLST2/MMB/RAM already. It looks the toughest among other 1/18 however it is probably the most fraglie

if you want to run on grass but don't mind reduce top speed, then swith to a motor pinion with less teeth. Stock I think it is 23T, try a 20t or 19t.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:12 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: garry1970

Well, I've been trying to run it in grass, but it doesn't like it at all. That's where I get the most shut downs. On pavement, no problem, but if I run it across my front yard from one side to the other, it shuts itself off just about every time. Which really bites because one of the reasons I wanted it was to play with my dogs with (in the back yard, which is much larger). The first night I had it, once I finished charging the stock battery (@ 1.1 amps, probably should have done the first few at .2 amps), I was running it on a little league baseball field and it kept shutting down. I think that had more to do with not properly charging the battery.

Your whole problem is that you were running it on a Little League baseball field....LOL!!!!! The Mini-LST has a hard time running in grass unless it is cut really short. It performs the best on dirt and pavement.....
Old 09-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

if you want to run on grass but don't mind reduce top speed, then swith to a motor pinion with less teeth. Stock I think it is 23T, try a 20t or 19t.
+1
Less Amp Draw = Cooler Running

Check out my thread on the servos.