Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Losi 1/18 mini desert buggy

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:34 PM
NeuroThief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Losi 1/18 mini desert buggy

Chuck,
Well I have a video, it's 12MB and I have no idea how to upload it here, not sure I can. Do I have to upload videos somewhere else and link them?
Michael
Old 12-30-2009, 08:27 PM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

rc - great to hear. Any pics or vids of the triump?? I rebuilt the plastic ones & they're OK. I haven't had a chance to put the aluminums on yet since the plastic are doing what I need. No leaks since the rebuild.

Michael - not sure what under-steer is. There are some adjustments on the Tx for steering. Not sure if that would help.

As far as vids go, I use YouTube (clp9999). RC Universe has a [link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/]VID[/link] area but I haven't used it. Youtube is pretty simple.

My son-in-law was visiting again so we took out the car in the snow & cold. The batt doesn't last long in the cold! Had some fun any way.

Chuck
Old 12-30-2009, 09:34 PM
NeuroThief

Chuck,

The faster the buggy goes the wider the turn arc is, while this is true with anything, it gets pretty drastic...understeer is generally when you turn the wheel and the vehicle is slower to actually change it's trajectory then it should...common occurence in regular size cars too, especially on slick roads...

I haven't found the Vid area on RCU yet..someone care to point me there?

Michael
Old 12-31-2009, 03:58 PM
clp.eng

Thanks for the explanation, Michael. I'm thinking the control on the Tx might help what you described. I did notice that!

Click the word VID in my previous post & it will take you right there!

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all you gearheads!!

Chuck
Old 12-31-2009, 05:03 PM
NeuroThief

Chcuk,

Awesome, thanks for the link...I uploaded the video so you guys can take a look...I'm awaiting a new spindle for Kaitlyn's buggy and am trying to decide if I want to get some Lipo Batteries or what...I really want extended run time...My LHS had a 2 pack of the insane 370 which I half considered, but the buggies are already plenty fast for the girls right now...I think run time and shocks are tops on my list currently.. and the steering issue, I really want to put the wider fronts on and see how that works. I'll keep you all posted.

Michael

http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/LOSI-Mini-Desert-Buggies
Old 12-31-2009, 05:37 PM
mrbonez

wow your little girl is a good driver keep us posted on those wider wheels
Old 12-31-2009, 07:45 PM
clp.eng

Michael - What a great job she did! Nice track too I'm envious. Unfortunately, the 1500mAh batts I bought aren't there any more. To get longer run time just buy more batts. As mini-Dude reminded me, you have to be careful about over discharging the LiPos. The box said the ESC was LiPo ready but not what that means (like an LVC built in or what). I think I'll ask Losi.

Thanks for the vid! Looks like ther will be more fun times with the girls.

Chuck
Old 12-31-2009, 09:27 PM
NeuroThief

Chuck,

Good advice, I think I'll stay away from LiPo's and just get more NiMH's.. The track was a complete coincedence, I had no idea it was there. There's this large parking lot over by the airport about a minute from my house that is usually wwide open. I figured I'd take the girls over there and let them run the buggies around, wide open nothing to hit really. Ipulled up and got out, and damned if there wasn't this awesome huge street track painted on the asphalt...it's a reallly large track, I'll try to get a decent video of the whole thing. Talk about a serendiptious find! So I'll probably pick up a couple more batts, and some DT front tires and keep ya'll posted.

Michael
Old 01-01-2010, 07:57 PM
clp.eng

See below why I'm liking these cars more & more!

Michael - I sent an email to HH asking about the ESC. I'll let everybody know when I hear. If the control on the Tx won't help with understeering, what is it for? I know what it does but not sure when I would use it? lol

I thought that track looked like maybe for 1/10 scale or about 100 1/18 scale buggies!

Since I'm flightless at the moment & the warehouse at work is still partially empty, I'm planning on bringing the buggy to work & try it on a very smooth cement. I'm guessing traction won't be the best but... Maybe I'll bring some masking tape & layout some kind of track & practice on that.

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92207.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	1346786  
Old 01-02-2010, 10:15 PM
NeuroThief

Chuck,

I'm no expert, but I think your fetzer valve may be in the wrong place...better get some 40 weight and some ball bearings...lol. As far as I can tell, the Steering trim on the control actually dials down the steering rate so the wheels will actually turn less. I believe this is usefull for highspeed low control surfaces, but it is in effect like creating understeer....so not sure that this is the solution I'm looking for, I did mess around with it and it did in fact exacerbate the situation even further. What I'm hoping is that the wider front tires will have a bit more grip (i relize the delta between the current fronts and the DTfronts is probably negligible, but hey it's worth a shot) and thus lessen the understeer I'm seeing at high speeds. The lhs got the part I needed for Kaitlyn's buggy and I had him set aside some DT fronts for me, so I'll be picking them up tommorow and be able to give you all a break down of what I find and perhaps pics or vid after we run em tommorow.

Michael
Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 AM
rcslsafut

hey michael,
i was checking out my daughters buggy and i noticed that the toe in and the camber are all out of whack
this could certainly be your understeer problem!! you want the tires just a tiny bit toe in or at least
nuetral. the camber look to be a little bigger pain to adjust . it is adjustable though .
that may be something to look into to help!!!
Old 01-03-2010, 03:19 PM
NeuroThief

Hey guys,

Well Preliminary results are quite good. I replaced the 2 narrower front tires with 2 wider DT tires from the LHS. Took it out and ran a few test up and downs on the street and the steering is now so reponsive I actually trimmed the rate down a bit. I think this is gonna be a winner of a mod for the buggies...I'm gonna take it over to that track and run some laps vs the un moddified and give you a further rundown. The ball bearings in the outside of the wheel were a scoshe smaller than the hole on the new wheels but this seemed to be erreneous to the overall effect. I've inlcuded a few pics, and will upload a video after I get some track time.

Michael

Name:	wu60523.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	1348398   Click image for larger version

Name:	pk31073.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	1348399  
Old 01-03-2010, 03:21 PM
NeuroThief

Hey Chuck,

I also picked up a new battery for my CX2 recently, and today picked up the Black Seahawke body for it today when I was getting Kaitlyn's part and the new wheels. I'll have to put it on and ul a few pics for you.

Michael
Old 01-03-2010, 11:35 PM
rcslsafut

hey chuck it can happen on the ground too.(of course this was a nitro)
day after turkey day runaway. [img][/img][img][/img]

Name:	Db85606.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	1348910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50235.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	1348911  
Old 01-04-2010, 01:56 PM
clp.eng

Yea keep us posted Michael! If that works, maybe I'll just swap the front & rear tires!

rc - OUCH I hope the driver is OK! LOL Thanks I don't feel so sorry for my self any more. That was my 1st "real" dump of the big heli!

Chuck
Old 01-04-2010, 02:49 PM
NeuroThief

Chuck,

I'll keep you posted, but you can't just swap front and rears...I thought of that, actually took the rears off the other buggy to put onthe front and quickly realized the wheels are different for the rears (notches to accept the drive dog bones)...so it definately requires new wheels/tires.

Michael
Old 01-05-2010, 07:09 PM
clp.eng

I figured you would have thought of that, Michael, but I had to ask!

From Horizon Hobby:

"Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby Product Support.

There is a LVC on the ESC."

So anybody wants to throw a LiPo in there, have at it & let us know how it works! None of mine fit!

Chuck
Old 01-06-2010, 01:49 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: clp.eng

See below why I'm liking these cars more & more!

Michael - I sent an email to HH asking about the ESC. I'll let everybody know when I hear. If the control on the Tx won't help with understeering, what is it for? I know what it does but not sure when I would use it? lol

I thought that track looked like maybe for 1/10 scale or about 100 1/18 scale buggies!

Since I'm flightless at the moment & the warehouse at work is still partially empty, I'm planning on bringing the buggy to work & try it on a very smooth cement. I'm guessing traction won't be the best but... Maybe I'll bring some masking tape & layout some kind of track & practice on that.

Chuck

Oh man, I feal your pain..
I had a Blade400 and sold it because I did not what that to happen to me, but now I've learned how to set up my DX radio and want a 600E!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:52 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: NeuroThief

Hey guys,

Well Preliminary results are quite good. I replaced the 2 narrower front tires with 2 wider DT tires from the LHS. Took it out and ran a few test up and downs on the street and the steering is now so reponsive I actually trimmed the rate down a bit. I think this is gonna be a winner of a mod for the buggies...I'm gonna take it over to that track and run some laps vs the un moddified and give you a further rundown. The ball bearings in the outside of the wheel were a scoshe smaller than the hole on the new wheels but this seemed to be erreneous to the overall effect. I've inlcuded a few pics, and will upload a video after I get some track time.

Michael
that looks cool with rears up front..
I've thought about putting the Mini-Late Model wheels and tires on mine for some street running
Old 01-07-2010, 08:15 PM
clp.eng

srt - Yea my first big crash with the CCPM! PArts order was pretty cheap, it's the setup that worries me - all those adjustments you have to make... A 600E I dunno'! It will be stable for sure & I think a small child can ride on it!

Took the buggy to work today (finally). The floor was heavily waxed cement. Traction sucked esp with a fresh pack in it! Made a small jump & actually made a few but still missed more than I made. I went with 2 batts for almost an hour. Throttle control WAS a requirement today. It wasn't as much fun as I had hoped. Probably take the tiny heli (msR) tomorrow but I'm not to crazy about it.

More snow today so it looks like April before I get the buggy outside again. lol

Noticed one of the front shocks was a little stiff. Looks like I'll be forced to put those aluminum ones after all!

Chuck
Old 01-18-2010, 01:33 PM
clp.eng

I couldn't wait for April & since the street was fairly dry, I went out with the buggy. It was kinda' cold & damp so I only did 1 batt but it felt good to get out! It was full of water again but no salt this time so I just dried it out real well when I brought it in.

Can the shock oil stiffen up enough in the cold to notice? I thought the buggy was bouncing a little more towards the end of the batt than the beginning or it was in my cold mind bouncing my eyes!

Chuck
Old 01-22-2010, 02:42 PM
rohdem

Can anyone verify you can run li-pos on these with the stock setup? Chuck, that response you got for HH seems a little cryptic. It doesn't mention li-po, just that there is a low voltage cutoff. I thought I saw a video somewhere from Horizon saying that you have to upgrade your ESC to run li-po because the stock ESC doesn't have a cutoff for li-po batteries.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:43 PM
rohdem

I just confirmed the stock ESC DOES NOT have a LVC for li-pos. Watch this video at about the 3:30 mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-0tHi9tx-A
Old 01-22-2010, 05:25 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: rohdem

Can anyone verify you can run li-pos on these with the stock setup? Chuck, that response you got for HH seems a little cryptic. It doesn't mention li-po, just that there is a low voltage cutoff. I thought I saw a video somewhere from Horizon saying that you have to upgrade your ESC to run li-po because the stock ESC doesn't have a cutoff for li-po batteries.
you can run lipos on most any esc!
just because it does not have a LVC does not mean you cannot run lipo..
best way is to add a LVC to the esc and it will work great!
the lvc is just a safety to help not run the lipos to far down on mah and volts
Old 01-23-2010, 07:35 PM
clp.eng

rohdem - Thanks for the info. I remember that vid, in fact I have a link to it in one of my early posts. I had forgotten that bit. I just called them on it & we'll see what they say!

I'd hate to have somebody ruin (or worse) a LiPo on account of info I posted!

srt10 - that was the whole point of me asking HH about the LVC - if one was there or not so we didn't need add one!

I'm really thinking I need a set of lights for the buggy. The Losi ones at a bit steep in price so I was wondering if anybody knows any cheaper ones or have done it yourself & would care to share on how to do it. I'd give it a try but I don't know anything about the Rx & how they are powered. My soldering iron is a little dusty but I think I remember how to use it.

I was hoping to get out today with the buggy but it was raining when I got back from my errands. (So I put back together the 450 heli instead).

Chuck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.