Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

1/18th scale buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Minkis815

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/18th scale buggy?

I wanna get an 18th scale buggy and im up in the air on this one. I've raced 1/8 scale buggies for a few years and want to down size. whats a goot (Cheap) buggie that come's with everything. me and some friends want to race in our back yard on a small track we've built. I have everything i need to run one. but my buddie is use to x-mods so he has nothing. battery charger radio all that stuff has to be included in the box. on that note i have 1500 mAh matched batteries so what should i get? i was thinkin RC18B or Vendetta. There cheep and totally ready to run. Which is a better deal?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Allistair

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1/18th scale buggy?

Losi just came out with a 1/18th buggy, not sure if it's available yet or not
http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOSB0204

Retails for $150 and comes with a 2.4 radio
Old 11-05-2009, 11:44 AM
cbr74

Caster Racing Fusion F18
http://casterracingusa.com/product.php?productid=634&cat=1&page=1

RTR w brushless motor and ESC, radio, battery, and wall charger. For $135, it's a tough deal to beat.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Allistair

ORIGINAL: cbr74

Caster Racing Fusion F18
http://casterracingusa.com/product.php?productid=634&cat=1&page=1

RTR w brushless motor and ESC, radio, battery, and wall charger. For $135, it's a tough deal to beat.

Good price, It might just be me, but I've never heard of them. Are replacement parts mail order only?
I prefer to support my LHS rather mail order companies.
Besides that Losi is a VERY reputable companyplus replacemntparts and hop ups are
available everywhere for thier products.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:51 PM
luvdisstuff
My Feedback: (2)

the f18 is new and i read that there are a few things you will need to do. i dont have one but i have been considering it.I have read that you will need to put 2mm lock nuts on the diff,a metal gear servo and a drag link.You can score a buggy or a truggy on e-bay for about 135.00 shipped. That being said the dtx detta is a pretty good little rig that comes rtr.i have the detta but if i didnt it woulkd be a tough choice. good luck dude.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:55 PM
luvdisstuff

sorry for the double post. I would stay away from losi even though they are tempting.I just think most of the losi stuff is crap. I think they put thier stuff on the market and let us the consumer do their r&d . I dont like the way they do business.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Minkis815

i like losi just not for 1/18 scale buggies. so whtch would be better 18b or a detta?
Old 11-07-2009, 09:50 AM
studysession

Associate vs Duratrax -
Most will say Associated will be a better product regardles of scale or model. A lot more after market support to go with it as well. It is the way I would go. But at the same time I have interests in the Duratrax RC's because they usually come with all the hop-ups up front which is nice.

I have an 18T which is mostl same to 18B. Love the thing. I also have a Mini-T and Mini-Slider from Losi. All three of these are loads of fun with pleanty of after market support.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:13 AM
mini-dude

Ah, the AEvs. DTX arguent..........honestly having had both, I can say they each have their positives and negatives, and "out of the box" they both can use some of the "standard" upgrades required in literally every RTR.

But, that being said, IMHO I've found that the Dettas are a littlestouter/durable and aren't as maintenance intensive as theRC18(get the ST and just put a buggy body on it, like they do over in Europe) but ultimately it comes down to replacement parts availability, so buy whichever brand your local hobbyshop supports(which if you buy online it doesn't make any difference) and keeps a ready stock of parts.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Minkis815

i'll probably end up getting the duratrax cause of my previos experance with them. I've owned them in the past and they are very reliable/ durable. then again i am a fairly good driver and know how to set up my cars for what i use them for, so i rarly crash into things. most bashers that post on this website are annoying saying how chinsey stock plastic parts are. There not! learn how to drive then make judgement on plastic. that being said ima get the duratrax. i'll let everyone know how it works out.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:31 PM
luvdisstuff

Good choice. i like duratrax products.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:03 PM
redmike76

How about a Mini-T converted to a buggy? http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=570370
Old 11-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Allistair

ORIGINAL: luvdisstuff

Good choice. i like duratrax products.
Gotta disagree I've had 3 different Duratraxx products and the main problem with Duratrax is they discontinue
an item after a year or two, then you can't get parts anymore.
I had a Duratrax Maximum ST, They discontinued it and introduced a new Stadium truck. Icould no longer get parts.
I then bought a Duratrax Overdrive ST. They discontinued it and introduced a new Stadium truck. Icould no longer get parts
This has now been sitting on a shelf for 4 years.
I then bought Traxxas, when they upgrade a vehicle they keep the model and the parts will fit the older ones. (T-maxx anyone???)

You want Quality, durability and parts availability, look to Traxxas.
Right now I've got 1/18th Electric (XTM Rage, Losi Mini-T), 1/16th Electric (Traxxas Mini E-Revo)and Nitro (Chaos)1/10th Nitro (Traxxas T-maxx 2.5, Duratrax Overdrive ST, Duratrax Steetforce (Yup can find replacement parts for either duratrax) The T- maxx still runs strong and I can get parts)
And the most fun one is the Traxxas 1/16th Brushless Mini E-Revo

Forget the 1/18th buggy all together, and go for the Mini E-Revo. You won't regret it.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:30 PM
mini-dude

ORIGINAL: Allistair

Gotta disagree I've had 3 different Duratraxx products and the main problem with Duratrax is they discontinue
an item after a year or two, then you can't get parts anymore.
A company would be a complete fool to continue to produce a product that doesn't sell ... i.e. why any company discontinues an item.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Snipin_Willy

Duratrax only markets the Vendetta series of cars. You'll see LRP Shark, Monster Shark, Anderson MB4....All the same! Great buggy btw.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:50 PM
studysession

ORIGINAL: Snipin_Willy

Duratrax only markets the Vendetta series of cars. You'll see LRP Shark, Monster Shark, Anderson MB4....All the same! Great buggy btw.

Do you have links to the others you mentioned?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2009, 12:12 AM
mini-dude

ORIGINAL: studysession

ORIGINAL: Snipin_Willy

Do you have links to the others you mentioned?

Thanks

As the earlier poster suggested - Duratrax is pretty much the U.S.-importer (they're rebadged and sold under their banner, they don't manufacture them).

LRPis the European importer. http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/rc-car...ctric-offroad/

Yokomo imports them into some Far East markets.

Anderson is the actual manufacturer.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:58 AM
hakmazter

ORIGINAL: Allistair

ORIGINAL: cbr74

Caster Racing Fusion F18
http://<span style=''font-size: larg...</span></span>

Good price, It might just be me, but I've never heard of them. Are replacement parts mail order only?
I prefer to support my LHS rather mail order companies.
Besides that Losi is a VERY reputable company plus replacemnt parts and hop ups are
available everywhere for thier products.

Then tell your LHS to pick them up. Problem solved...... They are better than the AE now as they were revised....

Caster has tons of hopups also under F18PT parts... Or just get the pro or pro emb kit..... then the whole car is 7075 aluminum like an Integy conversion kit.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:02 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

1st I would stay away from caster, they are rebanded products with much higher prices of what you can find elsware with a different name and hard to get parts. plus I can get them much cheaper shipped from Frank
you cannot just run down to your LHS and pickup parts for them..

I would go with the Detta, awesome litte truggy!
Old 11-14-2009, 09:39 AM
cbr74

ORIGINAL: srt10

1st I would stay away from caster, they are rebanded products with much higher prices of what you can find elsware with a different name and hard to get parts. plus I can get them much cheaper shipped from Frank
you cannot just run down to your LHS and pickup parts for them..

I would go with the Detta, awesome litte truggy!
What exactly does rebanded mean? If you were trying to say rebadged, you are inaccurate. While the Fusions do share lineage with other vehicles, the materials, tolerances and key design elements are entirely Caster. This is no different than any of the other common manufacturer relationships in the hobby industry ie: Associated/Thunder Tiger, Ofna/Jammin/Ho Bao/Hong Nor, HPI/Hot Bodies, Venom/A-Tech and so on.

Hard to get parts? Because you have to order them from the website?

Who the heck is Frank and what does he have to do with anything?

If you can't run down to your LHS and pick up Caster parts then you need to suggest to them that they carry Caster as many hobby shops do.

Even the Vendetta you recommend has a counterpart under the Huan Qi brand name, does that make the Vendetta a rebadge as well?

Old 11-14-2009, 10:37 AM
srt10

Frank is someone who can sell these to me at bulk or each for a much cheaper price, like 1/2
and I am accurate on this!

lets see
Associated/Thunder = same company!
HPI/Hot Bodies = same company!
Lexus/Toyota = same company
Honda/Acura = same company
trusted companies with a reputation
get the picture?
much much different than chines made and generic names put on them and sold by who knows, and you get parts when?
Old 11-14-2009, 10:39 AM
srt10

And back to the thread!
Vendetta ya
Old 11-14-2009, 10:42 AM
studysession

Lets stop the bickering and get back to the topic at hand.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2009, 06:48 PM
cbr74

Congratulations, you know an importer.. so you can buy vehicles in bulk.. and then what?

let's see
Associated/Thunder = same company! - Made in China
HPI/Hot Bodies = same company! - Made in China
Lexus/Toyota = same company - Made in Japan
Honda/Acura = same company- Made in Japan

Duratrax/Huan Qi - Made in China

trusted companies with a reputation
get the picture? Nope, not really gettin the picture. Maybe you're not into the 8th scale scene, but Caster's been around for years; they weren't just formed yesterday.

much much different than chines made and generic names put on them and sold by who knows, and you get parts when? Nope, no different. Every example you gave is manufactured in whole or in part overseas. Caster is not a generic name, Caster Racing USA is based in Iowa and Iget my parts in two days.

And back to the thread..

Fusion Ya

:P

Old 11-14-2009, 07:39 PM
studysession

If we do not get this thread back on track soon - I am going to close it.

Help the original poster with his questions.