Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Lipo charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:44 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo charger

Hello,

I recently purchased a Duratrax Onyx 230 to charge my NiMH batteries and possibly lipos if I were to upgrade later on. I didn't pay attention to the cell count that it can charge lipos, but later I noticed that it is only 2s, so I may exchange it for something that can do at least 3s. **edit, I just read the box, Duratrax's site, online suppliers, the manual, and it states that it can do 1-3 cells, but on the battery chart in the manual it only shows 2s, so I'm assuming that it can charge 3s, just doesn't show it in the chart?** Do you guys have any recommendations that can charge NiMH and lipos in a decent price range?

Thanks,
Daniel
Old 11-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Snipin_Willy

Default RE: Lipo charger

I used to have one. It will do 3s. There are plenty of other good chargers out there that can do as much as the Onyx 230 and more for the price. Hobbycity has good deals on a few.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:38 AM
PrjctStrtFrce

Any specific models in mind?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:43 AM
csp1971

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have this one, it works great. I use a power supply to a laptop to power it.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...lancer/Charger

There is also this Turnigy:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...lancer/Charger
Old 11-09-2009, 02:08 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

Is discharging very necessary for lipos?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:17 PM
mini-dude

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

Only if you're storing them, as they should not be stored with a full charge on them.
So if they're only sitting till tomorrow or the next day, don't worry about it ~ but if you don't know when you're going to run it next, discharge them (3.0 to 3.2v per cell - minimum).
Old 11-09-2009, 03:06 PM
katzcratch

When yuo discharge its to half charge correct? I thought I read you dont want them sitting completely discharged
Old 11-09-2009, 03:11 PM
mini-dude

ORIGINAL: katzcratch

When yuo discharge its to half charge correct? I thought I read you dont want them sitting completely discharged

I guess I mis-stated that, I'll go back and correct ~ but I definately wasn't meaning dumping them completely.

Each manufacturer of LiPOs are different, but somewhere about 3.2volts per cell.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:14 PM
csp1971

ORIGINAL: mini-dude

Only if you're storing them, as they should not be stored with a charge on them.
So if they're only sitting till tomorrow or the next day, don't worry about it ~ but if you don't know when you're going to run it next, discharge them.
You should always store them with a charge. 3.7 to 3.8v
Old 11-09-2009, 03:29 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

The LVC is set at 3 or 3.5, so if the lipo were to be run down to that, then it would kind of be alright to store them at that voltage? OR, run it down to the LVC and then charge it to the correct volt amount, correct? (the Onyx 230 has a screen that displays that info, which is why I ask.)
Old 11-09-2009, 04:02 PM
csp1971

The LVC is set at 3 or 3.5, so if the lipo were to be run down to that, then it would kind of be alright to store them at that voltage? OR, run it down to the LVC and then charge it to the correct volt amount, correct? (the Onyx 230 has a screen that displays that info, which is why I ask.)

How long would you plan on storing them? My own opinion, I would store it at about 3.7v. I personally don't want to run the risk of the voltage dropping below 3v and ruining the lipos. Those things cost too much already. Does the Onyx have a storage option?

Here is some good lipo info:

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

Old 11-09-2009, 04:43 PM
mini-dude

IMHO, discharge them to 3.5v and you'll be fine.
(again, if you want to be persnickety, go to the instruction sheet that was included with your batteries or check the manufacturer's website for what their recommendations are ~ as every one of them are different, since as you've seen you've gotten three different answers)
Old 11-09-2009, 07:12 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

Wow, that link was very informative! So besides the Onyx 230 not having a balancer (can get a Blinky when I upgrade) and discharger (can run it down to LVC or based off of run-time once I get used to it), it is a more than good enough charger, right?

Thanks for the info and links.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Snipin_Willy

For the money you'd be better off buying one of the Turnigy chargers off of hobbycity or getting one off ebay. The Accucel-6 has all the functions that the Onyx 230 is missing. If you wanna get a higher power charger in case you have larger batteries in the future, I'd look into an iCharger 106B. I love mine. Has about the same fuctions as the Accucel-6 except the iCharger has 5x the charging power and 4x discharge power.
If your looking to move into only lithium batteries then don't overlook the FMA cellpro series. Awesome chargers with good customer service. I have a cellpro 10s and it's more accurate balancing than the iCharger, but it doesn't have a discharge function.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:27 PM
csp1971

Like Willy said, the Turnigy chargers are great for the money, but if you are looking for larger packs down the road, the one at A-Main sounds great for the money. I like my Turnigy a lot. The only time mine has ever gotten even warm is when I charged my 6s 5000mah. The only item you'll pay for at HobbyCity is the shipping...if you decide to use them set up an account, log in and you'll sometimes get a few dollars off lipo packs when you put them in your cart, but you have to be logged in.

I think your Onyx is fine for up to 3s. I would contact Duratrax and ask them for sure.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:45 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

What charger at amain are you referring to? Main thing for me being an issue with those two chargers is that they do not plug into the wall. All of my running is done close to my house and not for an entire day, so hooking it up to a car battery would not be ideal for me.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:10 PM
csp1971

Sorry, this one:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-6S-10A-250W

Power Supply:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...l-Power-Supply

or

http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-PS12KX...7818954&sr=8-4

Just depends on how many amps you think you'll need. The 10amp would suffice for most people that aren't running two chargers at once.