Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum
View Poll Results: A poll
No, you don't need lipo for just messing around. It's fast enough.
35.42%
Yes, definitely get lipo. It's the only way to go.
62.50%
Forget the Revo VXL alltogether - it will be a money pit.
2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Revo VXL - Lipo, or Nimh??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:10 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Revo VXL - Lipo, or Nimh??

Still having a hard time getting my head around all this.

I don't want to invest a fortune right now in a balancer or new charger. And I hear the Revo VXL is plenty fast with two Nimh packs..

Here are the offers I'm looking at:

1.) Revo, series cable, parallel cable, extra Traxxas battery... €291
2.) #1, but instead of the Traxxas battery, two LRP 1600 Nihm packs.. €319
3.) Revo with two lipos, parallel cable, and balancer(which I think works with my charger, but not sure)..
€352

The fourth optoin is with a whole new charger including balancer for €400 or so.. I.e. that's out of the question..

Just looking to have some fun and mess around at first. Not looking to invest lots in this truck if I get it. I have four 1/8 nitros, and they're more than expensive enough. I just want this for messing around in the winter. No tuning, etc..

Anyway, given those prices, what should I get, and why?

Thanks..
Old 12-04-2009, 11:09 AM
savagecommander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Revo VXL - Lipo, or Nimh??

if youre just messing around and dont want to spend serious $$$, just stay nimh.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:16 AM
HerrSavage

Yeah?? OK.. That's my hunch as the right thing for me.. I'm sure lipos are awesome and you can go all over the top like with ALL RC's(I know this all too well...) I'm just really limited with my four other big RC's right now... Kinda' too many, but you know how it is - so much invested in them, that to sell would be to just shovel money down the drain..(good RC's too.. Two LST2's, RC8, and RC8T...)

But one of the things I like that I've read about this truck is that it's so good out of the box.. Yeah, you can tune it, but I like hearing that you don't have to..

And as for lipos, yeah, just not in a position to go whole-hog right now... Can always do it next year if I feel like it.. Not a real big elo fan anyway - so this would be a good little test to see if I would ever want to get more into it..

Thanks.. I think I'll get the option with the two LRP batteries.. That way I can start off in the living room with the one Traxxas bat, then run dual LRP packs outside...
Old 12-04-2009, 11:40 AM
csp1971

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just go with the nimh's for right now. You can always go lipo in the future. You go hobbycity lipos, you can pick up a couple lipo packs (3s) and a charger for around 80 bucks shipped.

The thing is fast either way you go. I run nimh's sometimes and sometimes lipos.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:05 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Balancers are about $20-$40 each.....

Old 12-04-2009, 01:42 PM
csp1971

The Turnigy Accucel has the balancer built-in. 33 bucks.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...lancer/Charger
Old 12-04-2009, 03:48 PM
slickcb2000
My Feedback: (2)

Here is an ac/dc chager for 55 bucks!!

http://www.xheli.com/thac6bachwac.html
Old 12-04-2009, 07:12 PM
csp1971

ORIGINAL: slickcb2000

Here is an ac/dc chager for 55 bucks!!

http://www.xheli.com/thac6bachwac.html

Awesome deal!
Old 12-04-2009, 08:17 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

To achieve higher speeds, leave the STOCK pinion gear in there with TWO nimh batteries, just make sure that you get a motor heat-sink ($5 shipped off ebay), cut some small venting holes in the body, and get an additional ESC heat-sink from thetoyz.com (overkill, but heat is the only enemy of electronics, well in this case since the thing is already water-proof )

You should also upgrade the rocker bushings to bearings and same with the steering rack bushings. It doesn't do much, but at least you know that it will be solid down the line and won't have slop.

-motor heat-sink
-ESC heat-sink (over-kill)
-bushings to bearings
-wheelie bar off ebay for $14.49 shipped
-parallel connector
-series connector

I'm sure that you already have some shock/diff fluid laying around so you don't need to get anymore, but I would put 30k in the diffs and 80k+ in the shocks.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:03 AM
HerrSavage

80k+ in the shocks?? [X(]
Old 12-05-2009, 03:16 AM
HerrSavage

So, the wifey ordered it for me, with 2x LRP 1600 nimh's... Will report back with some vid, etc.. how I find it.. Gotta' wait til X-mas though........

Got some 30 for the diffs, and 60 for the shocks..

Am I gonna have to solder the LRP bats with Traxxas plugs??

Next thing to have to learn and buy....

EDIT.. Hey, what about the charger? I guess then I need two packs of two Traxxas plugs, then to make up an adapter or something, ey? Or can the included charger just do it with the LRP bats too?
Old 12-06-2009, 02:29 AM
PrjctStrtFrce

There are people running 100wt oil. I put in 80wt and it still seems soft to me, which is where different springs come into play as well. You should have bought batteries that already come with Traxxas plugs. Chargers have been mentioned, but I use a Onyx230 which ran me $80. Can charge ALL batteries. I'm sure that those Turnigy chargers are good and all, but I just wanted something that I know has a good reputation in the hobby. As for the adapter, [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSDC1&P=ML]this[/link] should work for most chargers.

You got a while to test this little guy out! HAHA Just slit the tape from the wrapping and cut the exact sized tape to cover it back up.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:49 AM
HerrSavage

I ordered these two LRP batteries instead of just a second Traxxas battery, because I read somewhere that the Traxxas batteries suck and don't last long...
Old 12-06-2009, 11:00 AM
csp1971

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I ordered these two LRP batteries instead of just a second Traxxas battery, because I read somewhere that the Traxxas batteries suck and don't last long...

I have two of the Traxxas batteries. I'm not crazy about them. Good that you went with the LRPs. Traxxas plugs are pretty easy to solder. I like them better than Deans because they are a bit bigger and I think they do the job just as good. What connector comes with the LRPs?

The Turnigy charger line actually has a great rep amongst chargers. It'll charge up to a 6s lipos, has a store mode, balancer, etc... although lacks the AC. I use a laptop power supply (IBM) for ac current.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:24 PM
HerrSavage

I've got a simple, little charger from a top German brand, and I really like it - does all the stuff I need it to do, and well. Would need a balancer to go lipo. Will look into that next year maybe.. Can always just get that and try some lipos some time.. Looks like I'll be selling my track rides - buggy and truggy.. I think my two LST2's and this Revo VXL will be my rides for next year..
Old 12-06-2009, 01:32 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

An external balancer costs only $30. I have been told that the Astro Flight Blinky is a decent one.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:34 PM
HerrSavage

Yeah, €30 for the balancer that is supposedly recommended for my charger. Again, maybe next year...

Next thing is to get a soldering iron and learn how to solder... [sm=confused.gif]
Old 12-07-2009, 10:22 AM
PrjctStrtFrce

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Yeah, €30 for the balancer that is supposedly recommended for my charger. Again, maybe next year...

Next thing is to get a soldering iron and learn how to solder... [sm=confused.gif]
lol

Should have just purchased some batteries that already came with Traxxas plugs and it would have ended up cheaper since you wouldn't need a soldering iron.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:22 AM
csp1971

Soldering is a good skill to have with rc's. Good time to learn with some practice wire and some yucky Tamiya connectors.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:14 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

ORIGINAL: csp1971

Soldering is a good skill to have with rc's. Good time to learn with some practice wire and some yucky Tamiya connectors.
This is true, but mainly towards electrics, not nitros. I know that nitros obviously have electronics, but usually everything is purchased for a plug and play application. Only thing that I can think of in my case is to solder on a new antenna wire. .02
Old 12-07-2009, 02:35 PM
cool-joe

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

ORIGINAL: csp1971

This is true, but mainly towards electrics, not nitros. I know that nitros obviously have electronics, but usually everything is purchased for a plug and play application. Only thing that I can think of in my case is to solder on a new antenna wire. .02
Isn't this an electric-section discussion?
Sounded like good advice.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:16 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

if youre just messing around and dont want to spend serious $$$, just stay nimh.
I agree, nimh will get you decent speeds and good runtimes
Old 12-07-2009, 03:16 PM
HerrSavage

Right on about needing to learn soldering at some point.. I recently had my truggy antenna wire rip off(yes, I still run 40 MhZ..[X(] ), and had to go to the LHS to get it soldered.. Sometimes you need to solder on a Bec plug or whatever too for receiver batteries..

I don't think batteries with Traxxas plugs are that common here either btw..

I like LRP batteries too. That's mainly what's available here.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:28 PM
joydude630

As per the manual, it says that you have to change the pinion gear if you ought to run 2 nimh's. Correct me if i am wrong?

I changed the pinion gear and I am running one 3s lipo of 1300mah.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:06 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: joydude630

As per the manual, it says that you have to change the pinion gear if you ought to run 2 nimh's. Correct me if i am wrong?

I changed the pinion gear and I am running one 3s lipo of 1300mah.
yep, if you run them in series, put on the speed pinion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.