Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

mini late model questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:46 PM
BlackCatDrifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mini late model questions

a track down the road from races these during winter so im going to get into it im not new to rc at all but new to 1/18th the class im running in allows a brushless motor 4100kv or stock and also a ball diff and adjustable shocks. i got the car and the shocks but i was wondering if the brushless is worth it i was watching some guys there with both and seems the stock motor is quicker overall and its rebuildable so not sure what to do, is a ball diff rearend worth the 30 extra for it? any help would be cool

Old 12-11-2009, 02:10 PM
cool-joe

Default RE: mini late model questions

The problem with the mini brushed motors is that they don't last forever, especially running wide open all the time (like they do oval racing)
Meanwhile going BL not only keeps you from having to keep fresh brushes in them, they're all but no-maintenance and last seemingly forever. So IMHO, they're worth the investment.
And yes, getting a balldiff makes a difference too and is worth the investment. Just make sure and get the MIPone.
I'd also get the Losi DD Slipper clutch. It's more adjustable than the stock one.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:24 PM
BlackCatDrifting

see the issue with the clutch is its a "stock" class but now it seems to be modded lol but thanks for the input im use to brushed motors so replacing and tuning isnt an issue i want it to be on the cheap side i got 3 intellect 1600 for $45 ill get the ball diff i know thats cool but i got to check on the clutch do the brushless motors this size run as cool as the 540 type or do they heat up like stock. is the stock motor a 280?
Old 12-11-2009, 03:00 PM
cool-joe

ORIGINAL: BlackCatDrifting

see the issue with the clutch is its a "stock" class but now it seems to be modded lol but thanks for the input im use to brushed motors so replacing and tuning isnt an issue i want it to be on the cheap side i got 3 intellect 1600 for $45 ill get the ball diff i know thats cool but i got to check on the clutch do the brushless motors this size run as cool as the 540 type or do they heat up like stock. is the stock motor a 280?
I'd check about the DD slipper, as it isn't anything that makes you go any faster - just works better (and the stocker works crappy).

The mini-BL motors run cool unless you overgear them-- and WAY cooler than the stock RX-280 motor (yes, it's a 280-sized motor).
Old 12-17-2009, 03:15 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

hvae you raced your late model yet?
I like the looks of those cars!
Old 12-19-2009, 09:36 AM
BlackCatDrifting

yep i raced for the first time last week the car needs a ton of work to be race ready like hours of work, the front end is super sloppy but can be fixed easy all the shocks have to be adjusted to different heights and wts the stock diff sucks had to go ball diff and i got the mamba system for it and the 24/50 gear set i also put the steel cv's in it yeah lots of work but a ton of fun i think total i have spent close to 600 but thats including 7 intellect 1600 the car extra parts all the hop ups including a personal transponder so over all cheap way to get into racing

Old 12-19-2009, 11:58 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

great, post some pictures if you can... not many of these around to see!