Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Pure beginner....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:21 PM
highroller886

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pure beginner....

I'm new to this forum, as well as the hobby. This will be my first hobby-grade RCpurchase, and wanted to get the opinion of you guys before I pull the trigger.

First off, here's what I want (I think):

1)Something fun for a beginner that will grow as my skills do;
2) I was thinking of an electricmini-sized truck/buggy in the 1/16th to 1/18th range;
3) Will cost in the neighborhood of $200-300;
4) Is for the most part RTR;
5) Good amount of "hop-ups" available

Based on that criteria I started leaning towards the TA RC18x, Traxxas E-revo, and Mini-T. After looking on craigslist, a 7 month old E-revo VXL immediatelyjumped out.It comes with 2 stock batts, 1 three-cell (?), and 2 lipos. The guy seems legit, and we are going to meet in the next couple days so I can take a look and test drive. He's asking $270 for the package, and made it seem likethe car is great shape. Assuming all looks okay, is that a reasonable deal? What should I be looking for? Is there a better option out there that will better introduce me to RC vehicles?

This is probably the 8 millionth newb looking for advice, and I apologize.However, if there is anyone out there (expert or not) that has an opinion or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:37 PM
jtnktz
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Pure beginner....

Welcome to RCU and the hobby. I hope you like an empty wallet.

Traxxas is a great beginner car. Although I have not owned a mini Revo, I own 4 other 1/10 scale trucks from them and love it! If I had the money I would buy one.
270 dollars imo is a great deal.
Be VERY careful with Li-Pos. They can, will and have burned houses down. They are very dangerous and need to be maintained well. They last longer with better speeds so that is the Pros about them. I run Li-Pos in my Vendetta ST. I am going to assume that he has 2 3S Li-Pos (3 cell) and that is what he is talking about. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DcpA...eature=related
Make sure that he includes a charger and balancer or that will run you about 150 dollars more for a decent setup.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:51 PM
highroller886

Whoa... Thanks for the much needed advice jt.

I believe only the original charger comes with the package, so I will need to look in to lipochargers/balancers andfire extinguishers.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:04 AM
jtnktz
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: highroller886

Whoa... Thanks for the much needed advice jt. [img][/img]

I believe only the original charger comes with the package, so I will need to look in to lipo chargers/balancers and fire extinguishers.
I would read up on Li-Pos. There is a lot to learn about them and I don't want to get into too much detail but I recommend buying one of these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw8jb1KmAG8
Old 01-06-2010, 01:55 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

I've seen that deal a few times and have thought about it many times more.. looks and sounds like a great deal..
but I went with a Losi 8ight-T that to was on Craigslist in the springs brand new for 350 bucks
Old 01-06-2010, 03:40 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish i could find deals like that.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:18 AM
highroller886

Thanks for the input guys! Sounds like themini revois a good choice... I'll post pics if the deal goes through.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:19 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: highroller886

Thanks for the input guys! Sounds like the mini revo is a good choice... I'll post pics if the deal goes through.
Hmmmm, maybe I should jump on this deal?
ah just kidding!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:39 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

Well you can pick up a brushed slash for real cheap (bought mine for 150 with tower hobbies discounts). I find that brushed power is good enough for me as it will be extremely hard to break anything. Upgrade as you go along. Make the next upgrade brushless motor/esc. Then if you get bored with the slash convert it to an mini e revo. Just a thought.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXWF3**&P=ML]Brushed Slash. Click here![/link]
Old 01-09-2010, 02:07 AM
highroller886

Well, I'm addicted. Ended up getting the Revo, and couldn't be happier (however, the dog is pissed). Now I'm stuck with another problem... I need a good charger. I've done some research, but can't figure out what the best choice is for me. I'd rather not spend more than $50-70 bucks for a charger that can do both NiMH and Lipos. Do you guys have any suggestions? I really hate waiting 16hrs to charge one stock battery.... Thanks!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Smiff 24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres one ive seen people recomend a lot lately.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...lancer/Charger
You also need a power supply for this one.