Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

RC18T spur/pinion gear mesh...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Nesal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC18T spur/pinion gear mesh...

Hi,
Quick question, how are you guys adjusting the gear mes between pinion and spur so its perfect? I recently installes a Reedy BL combo and with the added BL power it seems as if unless my gear mesh is pretty decent im going to be stripping gears like theres no tomorrow. I removed the DP gear cover to be able to see the gears and get it better, it seems that once I have it perfectly meshed and start to tighten the motor mount screws, when I tighten the top motor mount screw the motor backs out resulting in a bad gear mesh. upon further inspection, my chassis top plate is slightly deformed where the screw is, so when I tighten it, the screw goes into the deformed part and there is no way of getting it to tighten without sinking into there. How do you guys do it? Just by looking at the gears and feel of how freely the car moves? I tried the piece of paper between the gears trick but there too much play when I remove the piece of paper.
One more quick question, Im running the stock plastic diff gear and pinion in both front and back. Ive heard that the brushless power is pretty hard on them so I have tightened up the play between the two adding another shim on the gear side, to a total of 3 shims, 2 stock plus the one I added. Everything seems to roll freely and doesnt feel linke it is binding in any way, anybody tried this with an extra shim? Any other shimming setups that work?
Thanks guys, appreciate the help!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:35 PM
matt99

Default RE: RC18T spur/pinion gear mesh...

i had to tighten the top first,

snugg both and pry to adjust then tighten top then bottom, worked for me when my stock rc18t vibrated loose,
Old 03-09-2010, 12:34 PM
burnineyes

Also if you add a larger washer to the top screw it will not "sink" into the worn part on the top plate.

Extra shim should be fine. I have done it to all of mine without problems.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Nesal

Done, with bigger washer! thks guys