Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

Advice for keeping control of my Mini-T on clay

Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Advice for keeping control of my Mini-T on clay

Old 03-17-2010, 03:32 PM
kmack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for keeping control of my Mini-T on clay

I recently purchased a Mini-T that I'm looking to run on my LHS oval track (red clay) and I'm also building a clay oval in my backyard.

The only upgrades I've done to my Mini so far is adding a Fireball 370p and GPM shocks. Lipo is next in line. I doubt I'm going brushless any time soon.

Anyway, when running on my LHS oval, I'm having a hard time keeping control of the truck. The rear end gets way loose way too easy if I don't get way off the throttle. Like almost all the way off.

What upgrades can I look into to help keep better grip on a clay oval?? I'd like to get up and run with our novice class (mostly B4's & some mini sliders)... but I'm gonna get run off the track if I can't get better control of this truck.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:43 PM
vectorhive

Default RE: Advice for keeping control of my Mini-T on clay

i run on packed decomposed granite and have a similar issue with my mini desert buggy. i've loosened the slipper clutch just a teeny bit and have adopted a cornering technique where i come off the throttle, throw the rear end around and then goose it full throttle, kind of like a motocross racer.

that doesn't help in a big open sweeping turn though.

hope that helps.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:21 PM
mrbonez

look into some good tires for tight clay and throttle control, throttle control, throttle control .these mini t ,s can be a hand full pay very close attention to your set up meaning shock springs, wheel camber and toe, clutch adjustments and such also you could nose around on the irc racing forums for some good tips
Old 03-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Gex_61

I think the main problem is your rear differential.

The Mini-T's stock gear differential was designed for small technical off-road tracks. It will make your T excel in low speed off-power turns. In a high speed turn, you will need to reduce speed to keep control. Fast strait line speed doesn't translate to a win on an off-road track.

A ball differential is best for large open tracks. It will make your T very stable and comfortable to drive in high speed on-power turns. In a low speed turn, your car will not have the ability to turn as sharp. You can force the rear tires loose with more throttle, but this will make the car unstable and difficult to drive. MIP is known to make the best quality ball differential for the Mini-T.

I recommend you get Losi's foam tires (if they are allowed). If not, stay with a light weight rubber tire that has small pins (LOSB1163 Rear Tires w/Foam,Taper Pin). You want a tire that is light weight. This will allow you to gear higher, without resulting in higher motor temps. You can also get off the corners faster.

Use fairly thick shock oil, but not too thick. I like to use 40-50wt with GPM shocks. Keep the rear shocks just stiff enough so that it doesn't lean much, but you don't want it too stiff; let it roll some. I like the front shocks to be pretty soft; not too soft, but you want the front tires to dig in concistently through a turn. You want your rear drive lines to stay level most of the time. Experiment with internal shock limiters. You can also lower the front ride height to get more steering; lower it until you notice it bottoming out, then raise it just past that.

You will need to play with camber adjustments. Try to get the entire surface of the tire touching when you're in the corner, if not, make the inside edges touch slightly more.

As you go faster with LiPo and brushless, your car will push more in the corners. There are tons of mods to be done to keep your car planted.

Hope this helps. I'm an expert on dirt oval, and I've raced both Mini-T and RC18. If you have more specific questions, I might be able to help. Post some pictures of your track(s) too.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 03-17-2010, 08:57 PM
vectorhive

Wow, that's a ton of interesting information, Gex & Bonez. Nice!