RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   ezrun brushless motor .....HELP!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/10315340-ezrun-brushless-motor-help.html)

ohlott 02-05-2011 05:31 PM

ezrun brushless motor .....HELP!!

I have a ezrun brushless combo that I got new..hooked it up today to a tamtech frog...and the wires from the engine started to get really hot and smoke. Why? Running 1600 mah battery with traxxs connectors.
Thanks for the help/

The_Shark 02-05-2011 06:04 PM

RE: ezrun brushless motor .....HELP!!

.. maybe you have the power plugged into the trigger line or something (not real familiar in the naming) the two outside wires are swappable, however the center wire must be mated with the correct wire (the center wire) hopefully its still useable, but smoke is usually fatal.

SyCo_VeNoM 02-05-2011 06:44 PM

pics of the setup would help rule out a wiring issue

Chances are either the setup was too high KV for the RC. Smaller BL motors are usually EXTREMELY high in KV rating, and need to be geared very low.
Or you wired it wrong. Almost want to doubt this one seeing I swore all the lower amperage EZ-runs are pre-wired.
Or you got a bad setup. Lets face it bad ones do get through (and before anyone says SEE CHEAP I've heard of way more castle products bursting into flames than HW)

ohlott 02-05-2011 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pictures...also the motor is a 7800kv with a 18t gear.

rubber_junkie 02-05-2011 08:19 PM

I feel you've overgeared it, how long a run had?

ohlott 02-05-2011 08:24 PM

I just ran it for a few seconds and the motor wires got really hot and started to melt the casing off. So I shold use a lower gear? What size?
thanks

rubber_junkie 02-05-2011 08:28 PM

if just few sec's an that happened something binding in tranmission and/or mesh to tight?

ohlott 02-06-2011 05:58 PM

Found the problem the screws that hold the motor on were a tad to long and were hitting the coil inside the motor. Put some spacers on the screws and good to go.
thanks for all your help.

rubber_junkie 02-07-2011 04:53 PM

nice 1! ;)

studysession 02-13-2011 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: rubber_junkie

if just few sec's an that happened something binding in tranmission and/or mesh to tight?

That is my first guess as well. I don't think the gearing is to high if all it was couple of sec's.

studysession 02-13-2011 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: ohlott

Found the problem the screws that hold the motor on were a tad to long and were hitting the coil inside the motor. Put some spacers on the screws and good to go.
thanks for all your help.

Glad you got it working.