RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   Official Losi Micro SCT Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/10654364-official-losi-micro-sct-thread.html)

thehuntingterminator 03-14-2012 03:12 PM

RE: Official Losi Micro SCT Thread

i got the plugs i needed soldered, so the Micro SCT is up and running finally. i ran it for about 5 minutes with the new lipo, and man! its like a totally different car! much more power all around. here's a pic of the batteries i got (got 3 of 'em):

thehuntingterminator 03-14-2012 05:24 PM

went ahead and ordered some stuff to review:
well, i went ahead and ordered some stuff to review. after i review it, i will probably put the motor and ESC in my Bandit, and the ESC in my Rustler. here's what i ordered:
Shopping Cart
Item Unit Price Qty. Cost
60G EXI Digital Coreless Servo-D226F w/ Metal Gear $14.70 1 $14.70
Hobby-Wing 9T/SL-3650M Brushless Motor w/ 4300 KV for 1/10 On-Road RC Cars $26.75 1 $26.75
eZRun-25A-H Brushless ESC for 1/10 Car (Version 2) $26.47 1 $26.47
Subtotal: $67.92
Shipping: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Total: $67.92

phmaximus 03-14-2012 08:33 PM

Thats heap good, is that ur site???

thehuntingterminator 03-14-2012 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Thats heap good, is that ur site???
haha, i wish it was, but no i am just a writer for the site. its just a guy who has several other guys writing for him trying to make a big RC website. the guy is really nice. always pays me when he says and stuff like that. its $22 an article with a 500 word minimum. its pretty easy and gives me some spending money. if you want, i can give you the contact info to the guy who runs the site. he was saying he wanted someone to write about non-car related items, like boat or planes or helis. do you do any of that stuff? oh, and also, did you know there is a Micro SCT thread over at rctech? i have an account of there and just noticed. their thread seems to be alot more active than ours, so you might check it out.

phmaximus 03-14-2012 11:38 PM

To be honest There would be othere members more suited for boats, planes & heli's. Ive only touched on them, My skills are electronics, Nitro & brushless cars (on & off road), static models, painting, wheel aligning and ballancing... There is a guy in the boating threads that really knows his stuff (Ryan T888) If u want i can refer the details to him. He is the only guy apart from my dad whos advice i trust when it comes to boats. cheerz anyway...

Hows its not all been luck for me... I had to re solder the battery lead back on the pack (ended up doing both the other one looked bad), then after some serious dirt bashing i had to replace the spur & pinion (very noisy). but when i removed the ESC/reciver one of the motor wires came loose... grrrrr
so I resoldered both of them because the other one was only hanging on by a thread. oh and one of my kids chewed a tyre off so I glued all of them on.
Ive keept the sput size the same but went from 12t to 10t...way to slow, so i changed to the 14t heap faster should have the lipo & a lowvoltage buzzer very soon... might try 17t.. dare say from what ive been reading i might go to the brass pinions ASAP apprently on brushless setups alot of heat is generated by the gearmesh & tiny pinion gear. its very common for the pinion gear to melt and take out the spur gear at the same time

phmaximus 03-14-2012 11:41 PM

Might get a alloy motor mount (MFD1806) soon, my stock mount screws holes are striped

thehuntingterminator 03-15-2012 06:12 AM

cool. sounds good. thanks for the info about the boat guy.

thehuntingterminator 03-15-2012 01:31 PM

i just finished my review of the Zippy lipos i bought. i will let you know when the review is up, although it will probably be a couple days. my testing was cut short though cuz i did something to my Micro SCT. i either stripped something or burned up the motor. i did notice however that the stock electronics were getting very hot even after 5 minutes of running with the lipo. i guess i will have to go BL, just cuz the stock system doesn't seem to be able to handle that much voltage. it kinda makes me wonder if the BL system will do the same thing though, since there is really no ventilation for the electronics at all. poor design right there.

phmaximus 03-16-2012 02:23 AM

ive seen in another thread one guy fitted a tiny fan... but he said he dident need it for the BL system

thehuntingterminator 03-16-2012 11:44 AM

just put up my first update in forever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bktZUSkusM

thehuntingterminator 03-16-2012 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here are some pics. turns out, i stripped the plastic pinion. i will be ordering the brass set soon.

phmaximus 03-16-2012 03:30 PM

when u get it upand going again, dont run it on dirt unless its dust proofed.... well from what ive been reading

thehuntingterminator 03-16-2012 06:25 PM

when u get it upand going again, dont run it on dirt unless its dust proofed.... well from what ive been reading
yeah i've heard that too, but this had nothing to do with that. just too much voltage made that pinion heat up and deform i think. after i get paid for the lipo review i'm gonna order the brass pinion set off ebay.

phmaximus 03-17-2012 05:03 PM

ahh thats cool, just a thought, dident know if they burnt out on a lipo... hey is ur slipper set like 1000000000000 times to tight?

well hows mine is all noisy now from only 5min in the dirt GRRRRR..... might pull it appart & check...

starting to think there are a indoor car only... wonder is that pion kit will stop this from happining in dirt???

there is a metal spur gear too...

thehuntingterminator 03-17-2012 05:08 PM

ahh thats cool, just a thought, dident know if they burnt out on a lipo... hey is ur slipper set like 1000000000000 times to tight?

well hows mine is all noisy now from only 5min in the dirt GRRRRR..... might pull it appart & check...

starting to think there are a indoor car only... wonder is that pion kit will stop this from happining in dirt???

there is a metal spur gear too...
no, my slipper wasn't even tighten all the way down. trust me, that lipo gives it literally double the speed and makes the motor very hot, so i'm sure the heat caused the pinion to warp and then it just fell apart. i'm going to order the brass pinion set (comes with like 4 different brass pinions) and review it as soon as i get paid for my last article. i will let you know how it goes.

thehuntingterminator 03-17-2012 07:39 PM

[link=http://www.cowrc.com/#ecwid:category=1884421&mode=product&product=73451 88]this[/link] looks like it would be very helpful when working on my Micro SCT with all those little screws. might review it too eventually.

phmaximus 03-17-2012 09:44 PM

Ha that's cool

thehuntingterminator 03-18-2012 12:01 AM

If you look on CowRC's website they are giving away free decals. I got some. Might not ship to you though.

phmaximus 03-18-2012 04:54 AM

Decals will be shipped Free within the Continental United States of America.
Assortment may vary based on availability.
DAMMMMMM lol

phmaximus 03-18-2012 06:07 PM

Yay... Just got my zippy lipo... How's the losi and the zippy JST connectors are compatable,,, just very tight... Its charging ATM... I'll keep ya posted

phmaximus 03-21-2012 03:56 AM

Well Im having range issues and with the extra speed its neer impossible to have any fun. It has a max of 10foot!!!! So time for a upgrade to brushless and 2.4ghz

thehuntingterminator 03-21-2012 04:10 AM

Glad to see someone having fun with one of these trucks, lol. Mines down waiting on a pinion set I haven't even ordered yet, but I have plenty of other new RC stuff to review and write on so it's no big deal. Just remember that you will need the BL system and the new 3 wire servo.

Microz 03-21-2012 05:55 PM

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

i got the plugs i needed soldered, so the Micro SCT is up and running finally. i ran it for about 5 minutes with the new lipo, and man! its like a totally different car! much more power all around. here's a pic of the batteries i got (got 3 of 'em):
hey how did you go about soldering on the jst plugs? did you just buy one with the wire already on it, or did your directly solder them to the esc?
<br type="_moz" />

thehuntingterminator 03-21-2012 05:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Microz

hey how did you go about soldering on the jst plugs? did you just buy one with the wire already on it, or did your directly solder them to the esc?
<br type=''_moz'' />
they came like this. i soldered them onto my ESC wires.

Microz 03-21-2012 06:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Microz

<br type="" />
they came like this. i soldered them onto my ESC wires.
ah okay thanks. i assume you soldered the open one (female?) to the esc?
<br type="_moz" />