RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/10681583-official-hpi-savage-flux-xs-thread.html)

etivac13 09-19-2011 01:48 AM

RE: Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

does it smoke only on 3s?

TheKennyKiller 09-19-2011 02:14 AM

ORIGINAL: dcfever

thinking of getting more ESC, so I don't need to wait long time for mailing sending back and forth and still can play
What do you guys think? maybe get 3 or 4 pieces of that ESC to be on the safe side?!
that sucks that the esc on these is crap but rather then stocking up on crap why don't you look at getting an ESC that works like it should, people have mentioned trying the mumba max pro but you might need to add a deans connector. It can't be much fun using your truck wondering when it is due to die next. or you could just take your XS to a disco and use it as a smoke machine. :D

dcfever 09-19-2011 05:52 AM

ORIGINAL: etivac13

does it smoke only on 3s?
I only used 2S and not dare using 3S
2S dead, 3S smoke

t9dragon 09-19-2011 06:55 AM

I seriously wonder what the issue is with the ESC's. I have been running mine on 2s and very limited on 3s and have had no issues.

Foxy 09-19-2011 07:02 AM

In all honesty, I'd have to consider looking elsewhere for the problem, if you've gone through two new escs with exactly the same issue. Just a suggestion. If I were HPI, I would ask you to send the whole car and your batteries in if you killed 2 escs like that.

I'm not saying it's your problem, or your fault, just to consider the possibility.

dcfever 09-19-2011 07:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

In all honesty, I'd have to consider looking elsewhere for the problem, if you've gone through two new escs with exactly the same issue. Just a suggestion. If I were HPI, I would ask you to send the whole car and your batteries in if you killed 2 escs like that.

I'm not saying it's your problem, or your fault, just to consider the possibility.
I was going to send all the electronic related stuff to HPI just to make sure, but they told me only send them the ESC, nothing else.
Sounds like they very sure is the ESC problem
the battery I was using is Silverback 2s 5200mh 40c and 5600 50C. they are new and I pretty sure they are good, also the motor is running ok
then I asked what happen to mine last time, they didn't say anything

chopan84 09-19-2011 10:35 AM

will this battery work? looks like it will but wanna make sure

http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-5450-74-Pack.htm

also will i need to change the lipo cutoff as i plan on running this on 2s for a while?

Zoocity 09-19-2011 10:39 AM

naybe there is a firmware bug were the ESC is pulling too many amps from the batteries?

t9dragon 09-19-2011 11:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Zoocity

naybe there is a firmware bug were the ESC is pulling too many amps from the batteries?
What is the firmware version on your ESC?

Foxy 09-19-2011 11:03 AM

I was going to send all the electronic related stuff to HPI just to make sure, but they told me only send them the ESC, nothing else.
the battery I was using is Silverback 2s 5200mh 40c and 5600 50C. they are new and I pretty sure they are good, also the motor is running ok
That's a good indication on its own that HPI knows there is a problem with this ESC. Hm...

Zoocity 09-19-2011 11:13 AM

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Sorry, won't know until two weekd from now.
<br type="_moz" />

t9dragon 09-19-2011 11:22 AM

Hey Foxy, did you smoke your ESC?

redfisher1974 09-19-2011 11:52 AM

When I called about my ESC they did not sound surprised at all, Did not ask for receipt or anything..Just send it in they said.

norco_punk 09-19-2011 12:17 PM

Took my XS to the skatepark today for it's second pack and first real bashing. Aside from scratching the body like crazy and scuffing everything up, I also managed to blow off the front right hub/wheel (my fault). I clipped a wall at a pretty decent speed and parts just went flying. I'm glad that I was able to find those 2 little metal pins so I could reassemble it! It'll work fine for now but the hub is cracked so I'll buy a new one when they become available. I'm pretty impressed with this truck for now, the durability is awesome! That being said, the steering is super sloppy and it makes the truck very hard to control. The truck pulls whichever way it wants. My front wheels aren't even parallel, they have way too much toe out and it isn't even adjustable! Anyone get this thing to track properly?

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL89.../398541439.jpg

Foxy 09-19-2011 01:10 PM

Hey Foxy, did you smoke your ESC?
I don't have one yet, but I will sooner or later.

Spaz163 09-19-2011 03:52 PM

I think they plainly undersized the ESC in this thing. I just got done run if mine on a 5000 2s 40c, the temps were 140 on the ESC, 170 on the motor and the battery was 110. I noticed the wiring was hot to the touch, I checked that and it was 135. Does any one have a current logger that they could use to see what kind of current this shrek is pulling in this heavy truck?

I'm sure gearing down would help and so would dropping a lower kV motor in it. Or say screw it and run MMPs like some of you already are.

Hopefully HPI catches on to all of this rather than selling a product that isn't worthy!!

srt10 09-19-2011 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Spaz163

I think they plainly undersized the ESC in this thing. I just got done run if mine on a 5000 2s 40c, the temps were 140 on the ESC, 170 on the motor and the battery was 110. I noticed the wiring was hot to the touch, I checked that and it was 135. Does any one have a current logger that they could use to see what kind of current this shrek is pulling in this heavy truck?

I'm sure gearing down would help and so would dropping a lower kV motor in it. Or say screw it and run MMPs like some of you already are.

Hopefully HPI catches on to all of this rather than selling a product that isn't worthy!!
hot but not hot enough to damage..??
your battery is 40c but your seeing 110* temps?
how far are you runing you pack down to?
I run 30 to 50c packs in my boats (they bull more constant amps that this little guy) and my packs come back 100-110*

dcfever 09-19-2011 09:24 PM

<br type=''_moz'' />
where I can find out what firmware version on ESC ?

dcfever 09-19-2011 09:25 PM

That's a good indication on its own that HPI knows there is a problem with this ESC. Hm...
I gave them 2 reference now, hope they can figure out and solve it please

t9dragon 09-19-2011 09:30 PM

<br type=''_moz'' />
where I can find out what firmware version on ESC ?
You would need the Castle Link to see what firmware is on the ESC.

dcfever 09-19-2011 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

When I called about my ESC they did not sound surprised at all, Did not ask for receipt or anything..Just send it in they said.
same here, mine is second time already. nothing asked or answered, just send back that's all

I feel sad to wait another 2 weeks to play again , not so enjoy now

Spaz163 09-20-2011 02:06 AM

ORIGINAL: srt10

I think they plainly undersized the ESC in this thing. I just got done run if mine on a 5000 2s 40c, the temps were 140 on the ESC, 170 on the motor and the battery was 110. I noticed the wiring was hot to the touch, I checked that and it was 135. Does any one have a current logger that they could use to see what kind of current this is pulling?

I run 30 to 50c packs in my boats (they bull more constant amps that this little guy) and my packs come back 100-110*
I will run the pack until it just about hits the cutoff, you can tell when the power drops off significantly. That 110f was at the hottest spot on the pack also, the rest of it was cooler (more like 105) but still hot enough. Hopefully someone will have a current logger and we can see if current spikes is what is killing this ESC.

srt10 09-20-2011 04:23 AM

ORIGINAL: srt10

I think they plainly undersized the ESC in this thing. I just got done run if mine on a 5000 2s 40c, the temps were 140 on the ESC, 170 on the motor and the battery was 110. I noticed the wiring was hot to the touch, I checked that and it was 135. Does any one have a current logger that they could use to see what kind of current this is pulling?

I will run the pack until it just about hits the cutoff, you can tell when the power drops off significantly. That 110f was at the hottest spot on the pack also, the rest of it was cooler (more like 105) but still hot enough. Hopefully someone will have a current logger and we can see if current spikes is what is killing this ESC.

just something to try....
next time see what your temps are when you don't run the pack to the cut off....
thanks for getting back to that question! ;)
some packs and electronics get hotter when they are run to the cut off

cooper998 09-20-2011 06:29 AM

four packs through and it flamed up! was running 3s Venom 5000 20c pack and motor and esc were getting very hot. Talked with the guys at the lhs and they suggested gearing down but did not have a smaller pinion at the time. My guess is HPI geared it to run 65mph so it could claim the top speed and would try to correct issues as they surfaced.
Unfortunately we suffer as guinea pigs while they get their act together, which I am sure they will.

Anyone know of a reliable esc I can use while I wait for a replacement? Will the Sidewinder Sv2 be good enough?

coop

t9dragon 09-20-2011 07:00 AM

ORIGINAL: cooper998

four packs through and it flamed up! was running 3s Venom 5000 20c pack and motor and esc were getting very hot. Talked with the guys at the lhs and they suggested gearing down but did not have a smaller pinion at the time. My guess is HPI geared it to run 65mph so it could claim the top speed and would try to correct issues as they surfaced.
Unfortunately we suffer as guinea pigs while they get their act together, which I am sure they will.

Anyone know of a reliable esc I can use while I wait for a replacement? Will the Sidewinder Sv2 be good enough?

coop
You should be running a lipo with a "C" rating of 25 or higher.