RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/10681583-official-hpi-savage-flux-xs-thread.html)

Spaz163 09-20-2011 07:39 AM

RE: Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

ORIGINAL: cooper998

four packs through and it flamed up! was running 3s Venom 5000 20c pack and motor and esc were getting very hot. Talked with the guys at the lhs and they suggested gearing down but did not have a smaller pinion at the time. My guess is HPI geared it to run 65mph so it could claim the top speed and would try to correct issues as they surfaced.
Unfortunately we suffer as guinea pigs while they get their act together, which I am sure they will.

Anyone know of a reliable esc I can use while I wait for a replacement? Will the Sidewinder Sv2 be good enough?

coop

I believe you are right, I think they geared it crazy high just so they could claim the high speeds. Therefore, the motor is drawing high amps and frying an ESC that can't handle the current draw. Now here is the question... do we go ahead and gear down and try to fix a problem that we shouldn't have to fix?

srt10 09-20-2011 08:01 AM

Does HPI show the amp specs on this stock esc?
Thanks....

Foxy 09-20-2011 08:42 AM

I highly doubt it since castle does not.

To other posters... It will not do 65mph out of the box, not even on 3s. The manual describes the gearing needed. The box stock speed on 3s is about 52 mph if i remember correctly.

Foxy 09-20-2011 08:46 AM

Coop, the stock ESC is a sidewinder v2 according to what I've been reading. If that's the case, it is considered to be around a 60A esc, though castle will not confirm it. If it is though, it should be adequate for most needs at this scale. I'm wondering if something they;ve done to it before giving it to HPI for this car, has somehow affected it adversely. If you want to be safe, I'd go for a Mamba Max Pro, and while I'm at it, I'd get a sensored motor too. Then I'd ebay the stock pieces.

Peloche 09-20-2011 08:50 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and i do appreciate all your informations.

I'm very sorry for those having problem with burnt ESC.

I started RC with a car that never worked more than 5 min in a raw, I've spent money for spare parts and gave up, then I went for HPI E-Firestorm 10T Flux (105879), it's gorgeous, I keep it.

My first question is about the availability of this Savage XS, I'm in Europe and it's only pre-order, but it's the same for TowerHobbies, so where did you get yours from ?

I placed a pre-order for XS almost one month ago, but after reading all breakdown reports here, i'm a bit upset and it makes me wonder if i should change my order.

Thanks for your advices,

Peloche,

RCJuice 09-20-2011 08:58 AM

I must admit that I'm glad that I waited to get my XS, these are the types of issues that I prefer being sorted out before buying a new model.  I had bought the Revo when it first came out (I think back in '04) and told myself I'd never buy a first-run again. 
I still can't wait to get mine though!!

t9dragon 09-20-2011 09:05 AM

Most of the issues happening with the ESC are when using 3s lipos.

chopan84 09-20-2011 10:04 AM

so i shouldnt have a problem running a 5450mah 2s lipo?? will it still do standing backflips on 2s?

t9dragon 09-20-2011 10:16 AM

ORIGINAL: chopan84

so i shouldnt have a problem running a 5450mah 2s lipo?? will it still do standing backflips on 2s?
You probably won't get standing backflips on 2s. You can try tightening the slipper clutch down all the way and see if that works. I was doing my standing backflips using 3s but I also wasn't doing any speed runs either.

nitro-rob 09-20-2011 10:24 AM

I am guessing a manufacturing problem and a bad batch. If these ESCs are blowing this easily it must be that because they certainly wouldn't have missed such an obvious problem in testing.<div>
</div><div>Unfortunately, returning ESCs is likely going to lead to the same problem since they likely don't have a new batch.  They probably had a bunch of truck shipped and a stack of spare ESCs which are from the same batch that they are giving people in the meantime knowing they are the same and likely to blow.</div><div>
</div><div>I think high C-rated batteries may help.  For the people whose trucks didn't blow up, what was the C-rating?  I ask because the charge and discharge cycling of the caps in the ESC will get hot and blow if the batteries can't supply what the ESC needs (ie. they don't like to work out of phase) so its not hard to believe if the motor is pushing the ESC to its limit that the batteries could be heating the caps too much if they aren't a high c-rating.</div><div>
</div><div>Should I just get it over with and blow my ESC when I get it and go on to the MMAx pro?</div><div>
</div><div>On an unrelated note I am in India right now and have been using my crawler in some amazing arrangements.  If I didn't have a wonderful family I would throw away my return ticket (and have my XS and other RCs mailed here).</div>

t9dragon 09-20-2011 10:40 AM

So in going back thru the thread I have found that between 8-10 esc's have gone up in smoke and that is almost split evenly on it happening with 2s and 3s lipos with "C" ratingsof 20 all the way to 50.

Like a couple of other people have said there must have been a bad bunch of ESC's.

Foxy 09-20-2011 10:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Peloche

Hi all,

I started RC with a car that never worked more than 5 min in a raw, I've spent money for spare parts and gave up, then I went for HPI E-Firestorm 10T Flux (105879), it's gorgeous, I keep it.

My first question is about the availability of this Savage XS, I'm in Europe and it's only pre-order, but it's the same for TowerHobbies, so where did you get yours from ?

I placed a pre-order for XS almost one month ago, but after reading all breakdown reports here, i'm a bit upset and it makes me wonder if i should change my order.

Thanks for your advices,

Peloche,

I wouldn't worry too much, there are still alot of people that have had no problems, though the frequency does seem to be surprisingly high. I still plan to order one soon whether they solve this issue or not.

Foxy 09-20-2011 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

So in going back thru the thread I have found that between 8-10 esc's have gone up in smoke and that is almost split evenly on it happening with 2s and 3s lipos with ''C'' ratingsof 20 all the way to 50.

Like a couple of other people have said there must have been a bad bunch of ESC's.
I agree. What concerns me though, is that in at least one case, a replacement that has been sent out has failed identically. That would indicate that HPI themselves are unable to identify the bad ones. This must be hurting Castle with so many returns.

redfisher1974 09-20-2011 12:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Peloche

Hi all,

Thanks for your advices,

Peloche,

You should check out the official E-firestorm thread here, Full of good info and good people who love the storm.

nitrohawker 09-20-2011 06:38 PM

Those of you sending your stuff in to HPI....did you have to pay shipping?

nitrohawker 09-20-2011 06:39 PM

Hobbytown here told me they had one right out of the box go up in smoke first time they they pulled the trigger.

t9dragon 09-20-2011 06:45 PM

ORIGINAL: nitrohawker

Those of you sending your stuff in to HPI....did you have to pay shipping?
It all depends.. I had to pay shipping there and they paid to send it back to me.

dcfever 09-20-2011 08:53 PM

they told me they will send out a replacement next week from new shipment. not sure if they meant another batch?!

by the way, is there any upgrade service from hpi? like I just add money to get a replacement of Mamba Max Pro instead?

Peloche 09-20-2011 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi dcfever,

HPI Savage XS ESC stock is Flux Vapor, on HPI site they propose as option part 2 ESC:

One is Bullet ESC standard and the second one is Flux 2350 standard.

Foxy 09-20-2011 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL: dcfever

they told me they will send out a replacement next week from new shipment. not sure if they meant another batch?!

by the way, is there any upgrade service from hpi? like I just add money to get a replacement of Mamba Max Pro instead?
It's definitely worth asking, the worst they can say is no. HPI's MMP is their Qbase esc stock in the Savage 2350, as noted above.

RCJuice 09-21-2011 05:03 AM

Anybody know if this battery will fit? The specs are right but I'm not sure about the cables coming from the center instead of the side of the battery. I don't have my XS yet but am trying to line up some batteries for when it does get here.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

What do you guys think about starting a separate thread just for batteries so we can get a good list of what does and doesn't fit? I've followed this thread from day one and there is some good battery info in heres, but it's getting long enough that it's becoming a little tedious to sort through and find the info I am looking for.

t9dragon 09-21-2011 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Johnbalz

Anybody know if this battery will fit? The specs are right but I'm not sure about the cables coming from the center instead of the side of the battery. I don't have my XS yet but am trying to line up some batteries for when it does get here.

What do you guys think about starting a separate thread just for batteries so we can get a good list of what does and doesn't fit? I've followed this thread from day one and there is some good battery info in heres, but it's getting long enough that it's becoming a little tedious to sort through and find the info I am looking for.
From looking at the measurements for the battery box and the ones for the battery you are asking about it would be a tight fit. It is better to have the wires coming from the top of the battery than the side for the XS.

Here are the measurements for the battery compartment.. 143mm x 47mm x 31mm

RCJuice 09-21-2011 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

From looking at the measurements for the battery box and the ones for the battery you are asking about it would be a tight fit. It is better to have the wires coming from the top of the battery than the side for the XS.

Here are the measurements for the battery compartment.. 143mm x 47mm x 31mm
Thanks. Yeah, I figured the battery itself would fit based on the battery box size, but since I don't have my XS yet I wasn't sure about the wires coming from the center versus the side like most packs. I'm still not sure what packs to buy. I'd like to pick up a couple 2S and a couple 3S packs.

t9dragon 09-21-2011 01:47 PM

Thanks. Yeah, I figured the battery itself would fit based on the battery box size, but since I don't have my XS yet I wasn't sure about the wires coming from the center versus the side like most packs. I'm still not sure what packs to buy. I'd like to pick up a couple 2S and a couple 3S packs.

There are several Venom 2s and 3s that would fit.

nitro-rob 09-22-2011 10:26 AM

Mine just cleared customs today after being there for eight days. Looks like it will arrive in the next day or two.  I plan on removing the 'bomb' right away.  I am considering calling HPI saying I know of the multiple ESC fires and am not interested in trying considering the precedent for these things to go up in smoke.   I don't like the idea of subjecting myself to the nerves of wondering if or when its going to go.  If they ask me to start a fire to see if I am warranty eligible I will find that funny.