RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/10681583-official-hpi-savage-flux-xs-thread.html)

redfisher1974 09-06-2011 05:20 PM

RE: Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

Yeah probaly another 80 clams for duty and such....

nitro-rob 09-06-2011 07:02 PM

It won't be that much.  You get into the high fees if you use UPS or Fedex.

JP38 09-06-2011 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As promised, here are a few pictures.

ZeroGrave 09-07-2011 01:39 AM

1st post for me hoping to make many more.

Hey, I'm looking into getting one of these... Well one of something anyways. This little monster has caught my eye though. I am new to hobby grade RCs but am somewhat of a research nut when it comes to things that peak my interest. I have spent the greater part of the last week looking over consumer reports reviews on all sorts of different trucks (I refuse to do cars that cant run off road, I mean whats the point you cant really bash or jump them so totally useless)) My interest for now is in smaller scale trucks/truggies. Looking for something that a to the hobby can handle has a good enough ground clearance to do some off-roading with. Small enough to hopefully run around the yard when I can't get out somewhere for it. Anyways to drill down to the bedrock of what I'm saying I had a few questions I hope you can answer after driving this around a while.

How well does it handle?

Hows it's durability. (Can I put the 3s lipo and jump it 20ft in the air without destroying the entire thing. Just some of it ;) )

Traxxas cars like the 1/16 E-revo vxl can run two batteries in parallel for longer run times can you do that with this truck? (Like I said I'm new I don't know if that Esc that would allow or disallow this or if it matters for parallel. I'm not looking to go nuts with the power(doing series) just get a killer run time.)

Last thing is have any suggestions or recomendations for where to start. What car (preferably in a smaller scale) would be good. I mentioned the 1/16 e-revo it seems pretty solid from everything I've looked into I'm not to sure on its ground clearance peoples say it has trouble in grass which will probably be a bit part of where I drive.

Thanks for any help you can give me. One more side note. I have no idea if there even tracks around me there isnt even a hobby around me have to go to the next city... Ironically every city around me has one just not mine.

gwismos 09-07-2011 02:33 AM

<div>this guy had a problem with the pinion after 20 seconds on his XS</div>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR1zm_Usuvg

Spaz163 09-07-2011 06:26 AM

ORIGINAL: gwismos

<div>this guy had a problem with the pinion after 20 seconds on his XS</div>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR1zm_Usuvg
Hopefully this is rare, however, it should be fairly simply to throw some threadlock on that setscrew.

t9dragon 09-07-2011 06:55 AM

ORIGINAL: ZeroGrave

Hey, I'm looking into getting one of these... Well one of something anyways. This little monster has caught my eye though. I am new to hobby grade RCs but am somewhat of a research nut when it comes to things that peak my interest. I have spent the greater part of the last week looking over consumer reports reviews on all sorts of different trucks (I refuse to do cars that cant run off road, I mean whats the point you cant really bash or jump them so totally useless)) My interest for now is in smaller scale trucks/truggies. Looking for something that a to the hobby can handle has a good enough ground clearance to do some off-roading with. Small enough to hopefully run around the yard when I can't get out somewhere for it. Anyways to drill down to the bedrock of what I'm saying I had a few questions I hope you can answer after driving this around a while.

How well does it handle?

Hows it's durability. (Can I put the 3s lipo and jump it 20ft in the air without destroying the entire thing. Just some of it ;) )

Traxxas cars like the 1/16 E-revo vxl can run two batteries in parallel for longer run times can you do that with this truck? (Like I said I'm new I don't know if that Esc that would allow or disallow this or if it matters for parallel. I'm not looking to go nuts with the power(doing series) just get a killer run time.)

Last thing is have any suggestions or recomendations for where to start. What car (preferably in a smaller scale) would be good. I mentioned the 1/16 e-revo it seems pretty solid from everything I've looked into I'm not to sure on its ground clearance peoples say it has trouble in grass which will probably be a bit part of where I drive.

Thanks for any help you can give me. One more side note. I have no idea if there even tracks around me there isnt even a hobby around me have to go to the next city... Ironically every city around me has one just not mine.

The Savage XS is just now hitting the hobby shops, so there aren't many reviews of it. But if it is built anything like the 1/8 Savage trucks then it should be able to handle anything thrown at. As far as lipos go it uses the ones that you would use in a 1/10 and if you read thru the post in this thread they talk about what size will fight.

JUSTPASSEDU 09-07-2011 07:04 AM

Looks like a real pain in the ass to work on from his video's , he couldn't even get to the pinion after taking it apart.

t9dragon 09-07-2011 07:05 AM

Looks like a beginner.. I go thru the truck and double check all the screws and make sure they are nice and tight. I also use threadlock on the set screw for the pinion to keep that from happening.

TheKennyKiller 09-07-2011 07:54 AM

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Looks like a beginner.. I go thru the truck and double check all the screws and make sure they are nice and tight. I also use threadlock on the set screw for the pinion to keep that from happening.
are you trying to tell me that it is his fault for taking a RTR out of the box and running it straight away... you can see in the video that the gear takes up just before it stops working and before that it is obviously not going as fast as it should... I do find it a little strange how he seems to know exactly what is wrong with the truck without even taking the body off on his first run and the fact he said it belonged to his neighbour (who lets someone else drive their new truck for the first time) so they probably found a problem with the truck out of the box and than filmed it as if it was the first run so they would have the video as some kind of proof that it was not their fault, the truck does look very new and clean so I doubt they did any bashing or anything to cause it... I understand the last thing anyone in this thread wants to see is this kind of thing while you're all waiting for your trucks to arrive but unfortunately the problem trucks or lemons will probably be the first to make it on to youtube because everyone else will be to busy enjoying them to even be bothered filming it.

JUSTPASSEDU 09-07-2011 07:59 AM

I highly disagree with your statement as most Rtr trucks , cars ect. All need to have there parts locktighted before running. Especially the pinions. This happens prob 75% of the time with a new Rtr.

t9dragon 09-07-2011 07:59 AM

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

are you trying to tell me that it is his fault for taking a RTR out of the box and running it straight away... you can see in the video that the gear takes up just before it stops working and before that it is obviously not going as fast as it should... I do find it a little strange how he seems to know exactly what is wrong with the truck without even taking the body off on his first run and the fact he said it belonged to his neighbour (who lets someone else drive their new truck for the first time) so they probably found a problem with the truck out of the box and than filmed it as if it was the first run so they would have the video as some kind of proof that it was not their fault, the truck does look very new and clean so I doubt they did any bashing or anything to cause it... I understand the last thing anyone in this thread wants to see is this kind of thing while you're all waiting for your trucks to arrive but unfortunately the problem or lemons will probably be the first to make it on to youtube because everyone else will be to busy enjoying them to even be bothered filming it.
Where did I say it was his fault.

Foxy 09-07-2011 08:01 AM

ORIGINAL: ZeroGrave

How well does it handle?

Well first of all, I agree with the people saying don't be put off by the two problems we've seen yet, these can happen to any model (weak esc out of the box, and some factory moron who didn't do the pinion up properly, goes with RTR territory that), but still I'd say wait until a few people have them. I'm confident its gonna be epic, and I'd put my money where my mouth is, but you never do know until people start mashing them up. As for running on parallel 3s, not without jerry rigging the 2nd pack somewhere ugly, this truck is slightly limited when it comes to battery space. At the moment, the biggest 3s confirmed to fit is 4500, but I think I could probably get my 5000s in it without resorting to the dremel. It's fine for one batt, but 2, forget it. HAving said that, I would expect 4500mAh to give about a half hour runtime, depending on how the truck is run of course, so it depends what your needs are when you say 'long' runtimes. Half an hour is fine by me.

As for handling, it handles like a Savage from what we've seen in the vids so far, which means its a freestyle jump truck, not a track racer. It's gonna be spring, tippy and hard to control on the power, however, it'll do double backflips off ramps and standing backflips, probably even running backflips, and that's what it'll be for. As for ground clearance, I haven't seen the revo, but I expect the little savage will have more. Someone else could probably confirm or deny this.

As a first hobby grade RC I think it'll be ideal, but wait for some more feedback before dropping the dollar if you aren't prepared to possibly iron a couple of issues. You never know, it may (and should) have none. Check all the screws and diffs, plug in something juicy and light up the tires. Although I Cancelled my preorder, I'm gonna get one next month myself with confidence. :)

TheKennyKiller 09-07-2011 09:34 AM

are you trying to tell me that it is his fault for taking a RTR out of the box and running it straight away... you can see in the video that the gear takes up just before it stops working and before that it is obviously not going as fast as it should... I do find it a little strange how he seems to know exactly what is wrong with the truck without even taking the body off on his first run and the fact he said it belonged to his neighbour (who lets someone else drive their new truck for the first time) so they probably found a problem with the truck out of the box and than filmed it as if it was the first run so they would have the video as some kind of proof that it was not their fault, the truck does look very new and clean so I doubt they did any bashing or anything to cause it... I understand the last thing anyone in this thread wants to see is this kind of thing while you're all waiting for your trucks to arrive but unfortunately the problem or lemons will probably be the first to make it on to youtube because everyone else will be to busy enjoying them to even be bothered filming it.
not trying to start an argument here but you may have implied it and as long as we are splitting hairs all I did was ask you if you were telling me you thought it was his fault.

TheKennyKiller 09-07-2011 09:41 AM

ORIGINAL: JUSTPASSEDU

I highly disagree with your statement as most Rtr trucks , cars ect. All need to have there parts locktighted before running. Especially the pinions. This happens prob 75% of the time with a new Rtr.
I highly disagree with your statement, you're trying to tell me that 3 out of 4 ready to run trucks will fail in the first minute if you don't loctite the pinion. Ready to run is just that add batteries and go. Imagine all these beginners out there trying to get into the hobby and having the car fail because of no loctite. It is a fault at the factory and nothing else

JUSTPASSEDU 09-07-2011 09:46 AM

Oh it is the factories fault and yes I'm saying most Rtr need the pinion loctighted , read the manual it tells you to do this. This is also the # 1 thing they usually for get to do with rtr's and if they do it they usually don't use the good stuff. So when you get yours make sure you do it and you'll save yourself time and money.

nitro-rob 09-07-2011 09:48 AM

A beginner doesn't drive an RTR like someone who has been driving a few years.  Its just good practice to check for tightness.  I agree that companies should be judged by the quality of their RTR products but there is no sample developing here yet and we don't know how many people are going to enjoy these without problems.

JP38 09-07-2011 09:52 AM

So far I've ran two packs on my XS and so far I've had no issues. The truck does look like it will be a little difficult to work on-but do not really know for sure until I take it apart. The truck is very fast on 2s and definitely has the feel of it's big brother. It would have been nice if HPI included a wheelie bar as it certainly needs one. The battery compartment is actually quite large and I needed to use the included foam strip to keep the 2s 6000 mah pack secure and without, the pack moves too freely inside. HPI has a winner on their hands, imo!

JUSTPASSEDU 09-07-2011 09:52 AM

I know the 1st thing I'm doing when I get it is tearing it down and rebuilding , always gotta make sure everything is locktighted especially with a Rtr that has real power.

t9dragon 09-07-2011 10:00 AM

not trying to start an argument here but you may have implied it and as long as we are splitting hairs all I did was ask you if you were telling me you thought it was his fault.
I think it would be his fault for not using loctite if the manual told him to use before starting the truck.

Just like when I called HPI when the ESC in my Savage Flux died, they basiclly told me it was user error because the manual said don't use any lipos below a "C" rating of 25 but I went thru and re-read my manual and never found that information because I had one of the first ones to hit the market and it had the old manual that never said not to use a lipo with a "C" rating of lower than 25. So in my opinion if you don't read the manual before using any RC whether it is RTR or kit then it becomes the users fault if something happens.

Just my opinion.... Peace

t9dragon 09-07-2011 10:07 AM

ORIGINAL: JP38

So far I've ran two packs on my XS and so far I've had no issues. The truck does look like it will be a little difficult to work on-but do not really know for sure until I take it apart. The truck is very fast on 2s and definitely has the feel of it's big brother. It would have been nice if HPI included a wheelie bar as it certainly needs one. The battery compartment is actually quite large and I needed to use the included foam strip to keep the 2s 6000 mah pack secure and without, the pack moves too freely inside. HPI has a winner on their hands, imo!
What are the dimensions of the battery you are using?

TheKennyKiller 09-07-2011 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: JP38

I have two questions.
Did you use loctite on the pinion ?
Does it mention in the manual that loctite is needed on the pinion before running ?

if you answer yes to either of them I will stfu

JP38 09-07-2011 10:25 AM

What are the dimensions of the battery you are using?

138.5mm x46mm x24.5mm

Gangster_Elmo 09-07-2011 10:28 AM

How long was the run time for that battery? Did you have any heat issues?

JP38 09-07-2011 10:32 AM

I have two questions.
Did you use loctite on the pinion ?
Does it mention in the manual that loctite is needed on the pinion before running ?

if you answer yes to either of them I will stfu

I did not use loctite prior to running and it shows in the manual to use loctite for reassembly, but not required before the first run. I just assume wait until if/when it loosens up rather than taking apart first. Plus, I did not have the patience! :)