RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   Absolute BEST WAY to get small stripped screws out? (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/8302795-absolute-best-way-get-small-stripped-screws-out.html)

maxxin2.5 12-31-2008 03:03 PM

Absolute BEST WAY to get small stripped screws out?

Ok well i have stripped the small allen screws on the bottom of my rc18t chassis..

my chasiss is a cf chasiss so i do not want to damage it i just want to get the screws out, but how?

my dad once drilled a screw out for me on my micro t but he messed up my tranny after that..
so i am cautous about letting my dad drill out this screw because i dont want to have to buy a new tranny case or a new cf chassis..but if this is the best way then i will take the risk i guess...

so is there a very effective EASY way to get out a stripped screw??

sonicj 12-31-2008 03:40 PM

RE: Absolute BEST WAY to get small stripped screws out?

those screw remover tools work, but often require drilling and i doubt they are readily available in such a small size.

the easiest, quickest route would be to drill it. variable speed drill, lowest speed setting, start with your smallest bit, let the bit do the work (don't push down hard)

you could cut a slot for a screwdriver with a dremel, but that is probably more dangerous than the drill.

use a high quality, new (not *****d out) bit and pressdown hard. this often works for me when i think im about to have to drill one out.

the safest method i can think of would be to take a old allen wrench and JB WELD that sucker into the bolt. 24hours later, the bolt and wrench are one and you should be able to break'er loose in a jiffy.

fasterrcs 12-31-2008 03:49 PM

if it is a striped Allen screw and your worried about doing damage just take the allen wench you striped it with and put j.b. weld in the allen bolt head and stick the allen in and let it dry over night and the next day you will be able to back it out

maxxin2.5 12-31-2008 03:52 PM

i stripped 4 of them.. well it wasnt me it was the owner before me but w/e

sonicj 01-01-2009 10:56 PM

cut a allen wrench into 4 pieces. jb weld the 4 pieces into the heads. use visegrips for more leverage the following day.

samguan 01-02-2009 12:31 AM

drill it a little and then use the flat head screwdriver, push as hard as you can into the screw and then try to turn the screw. Always work for me.

DettaDude 01-07-2009 07:58 PM

A good way to avoid this is to never strip a screwhead in the first place.

Stock screwsets are cheap, and it's easy to keep a set in the toolbox. Then when you see a screw getting a little funky, or starts showing signs of wear, replace it with a new screw. I also replace all of mine at least once a year, to get rid of the weak ones you don't notice, and to keep the old ones that have been in a long time from freezing up.

hands without shadows 01-07-2009 10:05 PM

I assume your chassis is flat. You could strip the chassis down and twist whatever the screw is holding on to loosen it a little. Use pliers from there.

maxxin2.5 01-08-2009 12:07 AM

ok well got them out..
my dad used his drill press.
and how was i sipposed to get the screw out and change it to another screw? it was stripped and i switched everything to philips because allens suck when they are super small.. and idc to much anyore because its my stock chassis.