Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

N...No...Nor...Norvel porting

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

N...No...Nor...Norvel porting

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 10:24 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N...No...Nor...Norvel porting

OK, so I admitted it already; I've been running a Norvel .061 for a couple weeks now and would like to know exactly which one it is. It was covered in grunge when spindr threw it at....uhhh gave it to me so I stripped it completely down and cleaned everything up before reassembling and running it.

I'm curious about the various types of these critters. Mine has 5 transfer ports and doesn't look to be a "Revlite" since the cyl. fins aren't as large in dia. as the ones shown in the latest Sig ads. The carb rotary barrel bore looks very small to me, I measured it but forget the exact size now...I think .118" (??) or so. This seems very small and therefore one would think it's a Big Mig but I thought the 5 ports would be used in the high performance model. Since matchlessaero told me his AME Zeus racin' .049's have 3 transfers, I now must assume the bad dogs have 3 transfers, the punier Big Migs must have 5 smaller ports possibly for higher port velocity to give better low & mid-range response.

Do they still make 2 versions .061 R/C now, Big Mig and AME versions? Quantum Models shows an AME .061 R/C on their site but the descriptive text mentions the need for a bladder or crankcase pressure which couldn't be right for a throttled engine.

Does anyone know all the various types of .061's that have been sold up to and including the ones available now?
Old 07-29-2003, 10:33 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Dickeybird,

Yup.. they still make both models. The engines have had a few different design changes over the years. All look the same but just alitttle different. 5 port for the Big Mig, 3 for the AME's. Hope this helps somehow!

Later,
Tim
Old 07-29-2003, 11:33 PM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Default Norvel

You got the early AAN norvel pre BIG MIG, an oldie, the revlite runs stronger the AME 3 port revlite runs even stronger, but does not throttle as well as the BIG MIG REVLITE, use muffler pressure if it has it and 30% nitro, some minor mods can add several thos. RPMs, and play with the head shims, and props they don't like wide blade props
Old 07-30-2003, 12:43 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dickeybird,, just put the thing back together and play with it!!!

geez give a kid a screwdriver and he thinks he's a mechanic
Old 07-30-2003, 11:38 AM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Hay Dickey......Remember the 1/2A Shrike of mine at SMALL???? It had an old AME .061 on it. I only tell you that, so that you will understand the potential of your little engine!!!

I may be wrong on this....but.....I always thought that the AME (High performance) was the one with 5 ports, and the Big Mig (more user friendly) was the one with 3 ports. I would have to pull the head on one of my AME's to confirm that, but the thought feels good to me so far.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:07 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Originally posted by 2fast4u
Hay Dickey......Remember the 1/2A Shrike of mine at SMALL????
Yup, I remember it well....it was a BEAST! I don't need quite THAT much power for my Cornbread! I would like to have more power than this 'ol .061 has but still retain the mid-range response and fuel draw with the nose way up (hovering.) This one does around 21-21.5K with a clipped 5x3 Cox black, muffler & all. If I could get around 22-23K with a full size 5x3 black, I'd be happy. Should do climbing inverted flat spins then. That's my goal, hover around for a while, ease her up to about 10 - 15 ft., flop her into an inverted flat spin and slowly climb out!

ps: You 'n lash treat me with a helluva lot more respect when I talk about them Norvels! Maybe we oughta go out and hoist a few; you know sing a few songs, shoot some pool, chase some wimmen....naaaah, we'd end up wrastlin' around out in the parking lot! Prolly make a good movie though, huh?
Old 07-30-2003, 03:56 PM
Digger-RCU

Yes Dickeybird!

Everyone is your friend---- Norvels are great---- no-one insulted you in the past ----- you love norvels------Everyone loves you---
---- Forget-- sleep-- Forget--- Forget--- Forget!

Randy Birt
Old 07-30-2003, 04:36 PM
fastlash

Default Ports

TO FAST you be wrong man, 3 ports have more area than the 5 ports if you go to there web site under FAQs they state it there, I used to think the same thing but after checking the area and timing the 3 port is Da winner,But what the heck man its all good!!
Old 07-30-2003, 04:42 PM
fastlash

Default Digger

Digger you be wrong I have insulted DB many times in the past!!! Jeeze you try to be a ....... and noboby remembers, I feel a cox joke coming on???
Old 07-30-2003, 05:09 PM
2fast4u

DickeyBird I would love to hoist a few with you and some of the other Memphis boys. Why don't all yall come to the Texarkana SMALL event and we will see what we can do about it.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:26 PM
DICKEYBIRD

So when is the Texarkana S.M.A.L.L. event? Looks like about 300 miles from here. I'm s'posed to go to Dr. Diesel's S.M.A.L.L. in Tullahoma, TN Sept. 6 & 7....dunno if'n I can make it if they're too close together.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:07 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Default Re: Ports

Originally posted by fastlash
TO FAST you be wrong man, 3 ports have more area than the 5 ports
Geez, you Norvelites are sumpin' else. Now that you'uns don't have me to pick on, you started pickin' on each other!
Old 07-31-2003, 04:40 PM
2fast4u

Hey guys! We're having a S.M.A.L.L event in Texarkana, Tx on Sept. 27 & 28. It's our "S.M.A.L.L Steppin In Big Texas" fly in. This will be put on by the Texarkana RC Flying Club, and we have one BEAUTIFUL flying site! A map and directions can be found on our website at http://users.txk.net/trcfc or you can e-mail me for info. This is our second annual S.M.A.L.L event, and we are working really hard to make it a good one. I hope to see everyone there!

My buddy is putting it on again this year. He was tented with me at SMALL in Little Rock. It's a real good field for SMALL stuff. Has a paved runway too. I think we are going to go to the ProBro event in Nashville Sept 6th.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:43 PM
fastlash

Default Picking on

Not picking on my own just pass'in on what I learned!!! But you still be in the cross hairs on my cox scope!!!When you get one of the newer Norvels, you will be converted,but till then will all be watching you very closely, yes very closely indeed, watch this guy fellow Novelites he is a slippery one, and just might come up with a cox turbo set up??
Old 08-15-2003, 02:18 PM
DICKEYBIRD

OK, I guess this will now be the "DICKEYBIRD Confesses All" thread since I have formally admitted to running a Norvel.

I've had enough success with the Big Mig .061 on my Cornbread that like a drug addict, I've tasted a little more power but I want MORE! I have 2 used (alleged) AME .061's on the way for cheap that I'll be examining more closely to see if I can make 1 good 'un. They are both the non-r/c versions without carbs.

Any of youse macho racer types out there got a Big Mig or AME .061 carb or 2 lying around unused that needs a good home? Just think of the gloating you'uns can do with yer Russki buddies. "Haw, haw....lookit 'ol DICKEYBIRD....running a Norvel with MY carb on it!"

Geez, come to think of it, you'll need to send me at least $10.00 along with each carb you send!
Old 08-15-2003, 03:26 PM
2fast4u

I knew if I waited long enough, I would see this happen. I'm so happy......I'm starting to tear-up!!

I wish you could have gotten one of my SCREAMERS at SMALL Steps, but oh well..........
Old 08-15-2003, 03:41 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Originally posted by 2fast4u
I knew if I waited long enough, I would see this happen. I'm so happy......I'm starting to tear-up!!
OK, OK now you're gonna say "I love you man!" and want a group hug or somethin?
Old 08-15-2003, 05:35 PM
2fast4u

NO! I don't think I want to group hug ya man!
Old 08-16-2003, 03:32 AM
fastlash

Default norvel

DB if you put the mod efforts in to the norvel that you put in to your cox engines, you will love them even more. Just to let you know that your using both type engines saddins me very much, I will miss ragging on you and the cox engines, I feel like russia after the usa did them in, I have been defeated at my own game, well I think I will go to my shop and drink some 30% power master,
Old 08-16-2003, 03:54 AM
AndyW

Milton,

Welcome to the Dark Side. You will be pleased. But don't melt your Coxs into slag just yet. Cox likes to swing the bigger prop with more torque. On some designs that feature will be well suited. On others, the fast buzz with smaller props on Norvels do better. The G-Marks kind of fell in between.

Can you give us idle numbers? Is the throttle the old design, round machined body? How well does it throttle?
Old 08-16-2003, 02:35 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Default Re: norvel

Originally posted by fastlash
Just to let you know that your using both type engines saddins me very much, I will miss ragging on you and the cox engines, I feel like russia after the usa did them in, I have been defeated at my own game, well I think I will go to my shop and drink some 30% power master,
Yup, I know just what you mean lashy old boy! What's left to get all riled up about any more? Kinda feels like the Hatfields and the McCoys done gone together and had a big 'ol barbecue supper with ribs 'n beer, horseshoe chunkin' and lord knows what else. Next thing you know we'll all be holdin' hands around the campfire singin' kum-ba-yah! This sucks!

ps: Don't drink 30% Powermaster, make it 70/30 ice cold Stoly's and dry vermouth with 3 queen olives.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:52 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Originally posted by 1705493
But don't melt your Coxs into slag just yet. Can you give us idle numbers?

Is the throttle the old design, round machined body? How well does it throttle?
Nope, not gonna get rid of the Cox fleet! I'm just expanding my knowledge base!

Dunno 'bout the carb type.....I'm still learning the different types. It doesn't idle down near as low as my Cox's (I think about 8000 was as slow as it would go reliably) but the response is very good throughout the rest of the range. Gotta love the top end and with the modern metallurgy, it's heat tolerance.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:50 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

D'Bird:

Your posts and the others about ports got me wondering about mine. I have a pair of the early AMD 1/10th 61s.

Popped a head to look.

Mine have only TWO transfer ports. Two transfer ports, the boost port, and the exhaust port. If you are counting the boost port as a transfer, though, then mine must be ported the same as yours.

Idle? It is to laugh. These engines are ten years old, and eight thousand is still about as good as they will do.

I have been tempted to get a pair of 0.074s to replace the 0.061s. The Tiggerkitty is far from overpowered.

The AMDs are physically the same size as the early BigMig/AME engines. How hard is it to fit the 0.074? Will the 0.049/0.061 mufflers fit? This last is important, as the AMDs exit straight out the rear, and feed into pipes inside the nacelles going out the back. I'd want to keep that.

Suggestions/recommendations?

Bill.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:10 PM
AndyW

Milton,

If your Norvel only idles reliably at 8K, then you might have trouble landing, depending on the airplane. The fix is easy,, if you have the tools. Depending on the throttle you got, an adjustable airbleed makes a world of difference. Easy on the round body throttle, extremely difficult on later versions. There are other issues but,,, ahh shoot,,, send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you a complete engine,,, done up the way I do it. Been wanting to do this for a long time but wasn't sure how it would be received. No obligation,, just play with it,, enjoy it and we can settle later.

William,

It's no end of frustration to me to hear of so many Norvels (or any other engine) not throttling well or idling low enough. None of that is necessary. There are too many engines with great potential not fully realized in their stock form.

The exception is the Norvel .074. In its stock form, it idles reliably and transitions perfectly straight out of the box. It even has a neat, bolt on muffler. It's physically larger than the .061,, looks much the same only scaled up appropriately. Bolt spacing, length etc. are more so you'd have to make the alterations to make them fit. If your Tigerkitty can use more power, then the .074s are ideal. They have the absolute best power to weight ratio of any engine I can think of. This one is going to go down in history as a classic. Or it should,, IMO. Unique break-in is an issue but that's been discussed at length elsewhere.

The mufflers you have won't fit. If straight back exhaust is an issue, new bits can be made to convert. If that's a problem, I can make these for you.

About ports. Yes, all discussions refer to the boost port as a bypass port. Don't know about port area but I DO know that the 5 port engines can be made to throttle much better and still have plenty of power. The .074 has the 5 ports and does everything well,, right out of the box.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:18 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Originally posted by 1705493
Milton,

If your Norvel only idles reliably at 8K, then you might have trouble landing, depending on the airplane. The fix is easy,, if you have the tools. Depending on the throttle you got, an adjustable airbleed makes a world of difference. Easy on the round body throttle, extremely difficult on later versions. There are other issues but,,, ahh shoot,,, send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you a complete engine,,, done up the way I do it. Been wanting to do this for a long time but wasn't sure how it would be received. No obligation,, just play with it,, enjoy it and we can settle later.
No trouble landing as it's on the Cornbread and it's not happy unless it's harriering (new word?) or hovering so the landing is always at a very high, draggy angle of attack. Now on some of my other lightly loaded planes....a totally different story!

And yes Andy, I would be most honored to try out one of your engines. I'll PM you my address. You're a prince among men!

ps: 2fast and lash....you guys takin' notes on how a true gentleman acts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.