Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Looking for two Cox .049 R/C Planes

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Looking for two Cox .049 R/C Planes

Old 07-31-2003, 06:22 PM
Tony A.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for two Cox .049 R/C Planes

Hello Everyone,

I need your help! I'm trying to put together a display of all the early Cox R/C models. My goal is to feature this display at the Edwards AFB Airshow which takes place on the 25-26 Oct. 2003 in the hopes of promoting 1/2A flying to the more than 100,000 expected spectators. During last years event, many folks were fascinated with the small scale electrics and I hope to sway a few folks into 1/2A flying with this display and a variety of 1/2A build up models. I presently have the following Cox .049 R/C Models:

Cessna Centurion
Cessna Skylane
Piper Archer
PT-19

I'm still looking for the Sportavia (powered glider) and the Sky Rally Ultralight. If any knows where I could find these, would you please contact me? Fair to excellent condition would be preferred, if possible!

Many thanks for your time,
Tony Accurso
Edwards AFB, CA
Old 08-01-2003, 03:25 AM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony,
My first cox .049 was not in a plane. It was in a front engine rear wheel drive car. It had a steel flywheel with fan blades on it and a drive shaft to the enclosed rear end. It was a early 60s Mercedes open wheel racer. It would just go in a circle with a tether wire, but it was fun for a 12 yr old. I remember it had an adjustable muffler.
I still had that car in my closet when I left for college. I don't know who got it because my mom was good about saving things for me.
You may want to check on ebay. Good luck in finding those planes. The Sportavia was a nice looking!
-Lynn
Old 08-03-2003, 03:10 PM
SERCEFLYER

Tony,

I'm really interested in the Cox Centurion-- I've actually never seen one. Do you have pics, plans? Would it be tough to retro-engineer one of these?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2003, 04:55 AM
Tony A.

Default Cox Cessna Centurion

The Cox Cessna Centurion was made of styrofoam. You can find them on eBay for as cheap as $40 and up to $170 for it mint in the original box.

I'll hopefully have a photo of my Centurion posted in a week.

Best,
Tony
Old 09-29-2003, 09:34 PM
grebmohr

Default RE: Looking for two Cox .049 R/C Planes

Man !!

Memories! I had some serious desires to own the centurion in the early 80's - I bought the glow Sportavia because it would be easier to fly... Yeah shredded it on the first flight.

Wow- I'm gonna find a Centurion now and fly it-- maybe I won't think it is as cool after some of my airplanes.... But I can keep it in the trunk with a quart of fuel and a pack of AA's :-)
\
Old 09-30-2003, 01:35 PM
Tony A.

Hi Grebmohr,

The Cox R/C Line of aircraft for me were just the coolest little planes when I was a teenager. I would get the small Cox fold out catalog and stare at it for hours just dreaming of the day that I would own and fly one of those cool airplanes.

The Centurion was the first R/C plane that I had flown back in 1986. It was owned by my best friend who crashed it on his first attempt, so I gave it a try and was fortunate to have a successful first flight with no prior flying experience. I was shaking so bad that I was surprised to see it back in one piece the dead stick landing. The rest is history. I was hooked!

I now collect and fly these Cox aircraft and am amazed at how difficult they are to fly, especially for a first time pilot. I recently photographed my collection of Cox R/C Aircraft and will be posting the pictures in a few days. Hopefully they will bring back wonderful memories for others. They bring a smile to my face everytime I see they in my garage.

My mint condition collection consist of the following:
Cessna Centurion - 1977
Piper Archer - 1979
Piper Cub Trainer .020 - 1979
R/C Shrike .049 Powered Car - 1982
Cessna Skylane - 1984
Sky Rally Ultralight - 1984

* Still looking for the Sportavia and a mint condition PT-19. I've never owned the Sportavia yet it is my favorite. One day?

In my flyable condition collection that I fly several times a month are:
Cessna Centurion - 1977
Cessna Skylane - 1984
Sky Rally Ultralight - 1984
PT-19 - 1986

After years of dreaming about owning these airplanes, the dream has finally come true and it is better than I thought. Flying airplanes has definitely made me a better pilot. I only hope that Cox will re-release these great R/C airplanes again someday for the next generation of R/C pilots.

*Note - If you do decide to fly these aircraft, do not use the Cox Cadet Series Radios. The servo response is very slow and can get you into trouble, especially when hand launching and landing the model. I perform ground takeoffs mine and have had a ball.

All the best,
Tony Accurso
Edwards AFB, CA
Old 11-07-2004, 04:53 PM
phas

Tony,

I realize your post is over a year old, but if you're still looking for a Cox Sportavia RC Glider, I have one in the box. I bought it in 1982. It's never been assembled or flown. Everythings there including the paperwork. There are two slight deformaties on the foam wings, but I don't think they would impede flying the plane. I can email pictures if you like.
Email back if your still interested.

Pete
[email protected]