Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Lekkie conversion to smoke, noise and fury.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Lekkie conversion to smoke, noise and fury.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:00 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lekkie conversion to smoke, noise and fury.

And stink,,, if you're not a fan of diesel engines. If you ARE,,,, we call it, aroma.

My activities had been curtailed for a few years and it was too much temptation to not get a simple electric plane to fly at the local, mini-park. The first was the Parkzone Sukhoi, full four channel and outrageously small at a 15 inch wingspan and a whopping, one ounce weight. However, it's no 3D and in fact, is underpowered. A newer, more colourful version, is supposed to be much better. Then came the Blade MSR, a truly amazing little helicopter that is rock solid stable and has a functioning tail rotor. It too weighs a full, one ounce.

That was fun and led me to this airplane, http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=11243 my all time favourite,,, I have an OS .108 version that's been in the works for some 20 years. It's just too dang big for my shop and I got fed up trying to haul it out of the rafters to work on it. A very early version, a kit by Sterling flew for over 15 years. It was fixed gear and flew on a Webra .61 Blackhead. Through all of this, I always wished for a 1/2A version. Well, it's here but while flying it, it was nice but left me very unsatisfied. No smoke, noise and fury. It's sized perfectly though, for a dieselized, Norvel .061. The Vendor also has some neat, self contained retracts that look perfect.

I also got me another favourite airplane, the Yak 54. This one, http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=13451 will be taking a recent, diesel project that can be seen here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkJKi...layer_embedded

Both aircraft have three bladed props that are WAY oversized from what we normally deal with. The Spit's three blader is 11" x 3 and the Yak is 8 x 4. What are the chances that a dieselized, Norvel .06 or .074 will handle that much prop? Best to ask that question on the diesel forum, I guess.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:31 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lekkie conversion to smoke, noise and fury.

You are probably discovering one of the joys of fuel vs electrons. When you come home, the spouse always knows where you have been.

Tom