Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

man am i disappointed

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

man am i disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:07 AM
whoopee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default man am i disappointed

well this sucks http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...NUFACTURER=COX not a one glow engine in that list i was hoping for at least one.
what do yall think will come next from them??

Whoopee

Old 11-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: man am i disappointed

From who, tower or cox?

For new cox stuff you should go here; [link=http://coxengines.ca/]coxengines.ca[/link]
Old 11-15-2010, 11:24 AM
R/C Phile

As I understand it, The possibility of glow engines is pretty slim.. Bernie (From Xenalook) has covered that elsewhere but basically, even if you get it produced in China, the price point / value / profitability combo is very difficult if not impossible to work-out.

If I remember right, producing even basic "Bee" type engines would make them be priced too high for the modeler to find it attractive, something like 80-90 bucks. Bernie and others are able to sell the ones we know about at great prices because they were bought "Fire Sale" style for far less than what they cost to produce even at Cox's old plant with their existing stuff.

It's likely they'll just use the Cox name to sell more mass market electrics like the ones you saw on Tower's site. By the way, the Extra looks kinda nice.. I'll be curious to see the flight reports on that one.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

It's really strange that they're calling those electric "Cox" airplanes. I guess because Hobbico bought the name, they're going to use it. However, I find it hard to believe the target market/generation buying those electric RTF planes recognizes or cares about the Cox name. Now if they re-released some of the old ARFs from the 80's (Sportavia, Skyrally, Canario, etc) that would be a different story- they'd bring in the old heads. That's even if they were updated with better foam and modern electric power.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:08 PM
icerinkdad

What is left of Cox in the US is just the name... and the likelyhood of ever seeing a new 049 from the US folks is darn slim. That said for at least a few years we have Bernie in Canada keeping our childhood alive. Enjoy it while you still can. We all thought it was gone forever a couple years back....
Bob
Old 11-15-2010, 05:26 PM
whoopee

well i was really hoping on a .020 from cox i love them little engines.
and xenalook aint got much .020 stuff.

Whoopee
Old 11-16-2010, 12:11 AM
icerinkdad

Send him a note. If he can round up all the parts or if there is a big enough demand to justify having missing items manufactured he will do so. Honestly if you really want an 020 there is always ebay...
Bob
Old 11-16-2010, 01:01 AM
Mr Cox

ORIGINAL: whoopee

well i was really hoping on a .020 from cox i love them little engines.
Cox doesn't exist as a company anymore, there will never be any new stuff coming from "Cox", and Tower will never be the place to look for .020 stuff

Old 11-16-2010, 02:09 AM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, 1/2A is as good now as it will ever be. The golden age of 1/2A is RIGHT NOW. You can buy just about anything you want at a reasonable cost-sure, it may not be easy to find the 1970's era Cox motor you want at 1970's prices but 1/2A truly has never offered as much to the modeling public as it does now.

It is going to be a very short time I'm afraid where 1/2A will be treated by the rest of the modeling community like some sort of SIG like the Vintage crowd is. I don't think the majority of R/C planes will be internal combustion powered in 5 years. Glow engines (for those who can still afford them) have completely stagnated.. I just bought a pantload of brushless 1/2A sized motors for $5 a pop on FeEbay that turn a 4.5-4.1 prop at 25k on a $25 pack and $18 speed control. How can you compete with that?

The 'good times' are now. It's not going to be long before we long for the days where you could find fuel in a few hour's drive or glow plugs for less than $20 a pop.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:15 AM
Mr Cox

I agree, 1/2a has never been this this good before. To me it is the modern radio that has improved the handling and ease of build considerably.

But I completely disagree on the electric part, it can never be a replacement for combustion engines. On the contrary, the cheap electric stuff from china may well disappear in the future, they can not continue with their working conditions for ever.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:19 AM
flyingtheoldones
My Feedback: (1)

The hobby certainly has changed in the last 20- 30 yrs. Small models ( <40in ws) will alway be attractive to a generalfew, and they will be a market for them. As far as using thepriceof IC engines as a whole to determine weather or not they will still be around isn'tlogical. I thinkthere will always be people like the guys here who are going to love thechallenges of IC engines in models, not to mention thejoy of the smell and sound and the smokethatalso comes with it. Cost is just an obstacle to a hobbyist. an old AM proportional 7 ch. radio sold for over $1000 in the 70s.That was when cars sold new for $3500! Now I cango out to our field and see half adozen$12k-$15k jets and giantswith over $1500 in servosper plane.
I think the 1/2a will alway have a place for the those wholove them, and they willpay the higher amount forthem. I know I would.
The market hasleaned towards the "plug and play" ARFs for the masses. That way anyone canbe an R/C pilot regardless of there abilitiesor understanding of airplanes at all.Most (more likely all) the people here dont fall into that category. The guys here a modelers. We want to build, understand,and fly our planes. And when it fails, or crashes, we run up to the remains and inspect everything like detectives to better educate ourselves for the next model we build. We are a small group, but only relative to the growing overall group of R/C modelers, and by no means a dying breed.

DM